Need Help!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need Help!!!!

My fiance came out of rehab after detoxing from opiates. They gave him suboxone to detox. My question is: how long do the pupils stay dilated after detoxing? I have read that sometimes the eyes appear glassy and the pupils are dilated for up to a month after detox, depending on the person.

Can anyone answer this question? I keep thinking that he is using again.

Thanks,
Mackie57
Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My XH is a heroin addict. His pupils are only pinpoint when using, never dilated. His pupils were only dilated when withdrawling or on crack. Dawn
Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Did your XH ever detox and if he did, did you notice any differences in his pupils?

Mackie57
Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This really should be more about you than your fiances pupils. Detox does not mean recovery. It just means he doesn't have drugs in his sytem... at the moment. But without some kind of recovery program, odds are he will relapse eventually.

That being said, ask yourself the following questions...

How's his behavior?
Is he going to any follow up recovery meetings or working any kind of program?
Can you handle worrying about this for the rest of your life if you mary him? Do you have meaningful boundaries in place if he IS using again?
What does your gut tell you?????

It's important to focus on yourself so that whether or not he is using again, you can keep moving forward with your goals and your own life.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know it should be about me and I am working on that. I just wanted to know if his pupils being dilated 2 weeks after detox was normal?
He is following up on recovery - he is attending meetings on a daily basis. I don't know if I can handle worrying about this for the rest of my life and I'm not sure if I will marry him. I definitely DO have boundaries in place if he uses again. My gut tells me no, because he is acting like the person I know, but I was nervous about it because of the pupil dilation. Yes, I am going to Al-anon and seeing a therapist and taking care of myself.

Thanks for your encouragement!