The Principle of Humility

Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Post The Principle of Humility

hu·mil·i·ty –noun the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.
---dictionary.com

"Humility is the defining characteristic of an unpretentious and modest person, someone who does not think that he or she is better or more important than others.

The term "humility" is derived from the Latin word "humilis", which is translated not only as humble but also alternatively as "low", or "from the earth".[1] Because the concept of humility addresses intrinsic self-worth, it is emphasized in the realm of religious practice and ethics where the notion is often made more precise and extensive. Humility as a religious or spiritual virtue is different from the act of humiliation or shaming."---wikipedia

52 Weeks of Concious Contact by Melody Beattie

HUMILITY

1. It was an exhilarating week in New York. I did satellite TV interviews that were broadcast all over the United States. I spoke to groups of people and held book signings. The publisher put me up at one of the finest luxury hotels. Then they trasported me to the airport in a stretch limosine.

I worked hard, had fun, and was excited to go home. I left the last publicity appointment wearing my dressy work clothes to the airport instead of changing into my jeans. I wore a fancy silk blouse and wraparound skirt. I checked my baggage and made my way to the gate at the end of the corridor to catch my flight to Minneapolis, where I lived at the time.

I don't know whether I can say that all the touring and publicity went to my head, but I was feeling good about myself and my life. I was stepping high and fast. The ticket counter was in sight. I was about an hour and a half early for my flight. As I walked past a group of more than fifty people, most of who were sitting in chairs facing my direction, I felt the strangest feeling around my legs. I took another step, then another. Then I said to myself, "I can't believe this is happening to me." I looked down at the floor. My wraparound skirt had come loose and it was in a tangled heap on the floor.

I looked up briefly, long enough to know I didn't want to make eye contact with the fifty people who were watching. Then I grabbed my skirt and ran. Humility is a delicate thing.

An old-timer in Alcoholics Anonymous used to say, the minute you say you've got it, you've lost it.

The claiming of "IT"---success, achievement---makes it disappear.

Value: Humility is the value we'll privately and quietly practice all week.
-------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I like about alanon and 12 step groups in particular...is that they teach spiritual principles. I have learned in alanon....although I am human and forget sometimes...that it isn't just about limiting or eliminating toxic elements from our lives...it is also about us...what kind of person are we? What does it matter if we have eliminated those toxic influences but are toxic ourselves? What about love and compassion for our fellow man? I may not live with toxic people...but how do I treat people in general? Am I mean and nasty to them? Do I have a hard time accepting people as they are? Am I mostly frustrated with my fellows? Am I controlling and negative to the good people who I do want in my life? What kind of human being am I? I heard it said once, am I part of the solution or part of the problem?

I see a need in myself to study this over the next few days and I would welcome anyones imput on the spiritual principle of humility...as I will be educating myself---AGAIN---LOL.

So...please join me...it will help me process this principle myself!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To me, being humble means being willing to be taught. Every day I try to remain open to it. I know who I am at my core, and I keep working every day to become the best possible person I can be.

I don't know about having "it," but I am skeptical about any train of thought that keeps me in "sickness" for the rest of my life. I personally don't think it's a good jumping off point.

In the religion I was brought up in, I felt the push to feel badly about myself for not being some preordained robot. I was even threatened with excommunication if I did something that displeased the system. As a child, I lived in fear of the verdict at the end of my life. At 16 I rejected the idea of god.

I embrace the 12 steps in a way that works for me. I challenge myself through them and particularly like using them as a tool to discover my motivations. I love the steps - each person who chooses to use them can get what they need from them, and no one is doing it "wrong." I feel no pressure to follow any rules, or commandments, and my spirituality has blossomed because of it. I am finally right with my HP.

I love learning something new every day.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This has really blessed me today. Timely, you know? I can't help thinking about Jesus whan I think about humility, and lowly, as in the dictionary definition above. I hope that doesn't offend anybody. I think of His words in Matthew 11:28-30:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
That comforts me, you know. He accepts me as I am.
An old-timer in Alcoholics Anonymous used to say, the minute you say you've got it, you've lost it.
When I read that I was reminded of the story of the Pharasee & the publican:
Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a tax collector.

Originally Posted by Luke 18:10-14
“Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin, and I don’t commit adultery. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

“But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
I wanna stay humble, because when I don't God usually finds a way to humble me, like in the story with the falling skirt!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
To me, being humble means being willing to be taught. Every day I try to remain open to it. I know who I am at my core, and I keep working every day to become the best possible person I can be.
I like that. To me, having an open mind is one of the most important qualities a person can have. Whether it's me or others I associate with.

I find myself associating less and less with people who are too extreme. Too insistent that they know what's "right." I prefer conversations with those I disagree with who have an open mind to those who agree with me but cannot see the other side. My sister and I were just talking about his yesterday. She is very liberal politically and loves to "debate" with conservatives, yet she gets frustrated with those who share her liberal views but refuse to acknowledge the value of differing opinions.

I love learning something new every day.
Me too. In fact I crave it. Does that mean I'm addicted to knowledge? LOL

L
Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

In the religion I was brought up in, I felt the push to feel badly about myself for not being some preordained robot. I was even threatened with excommunication if I did something that displeased the system. As a child, I lived in fear of the verdict at the end of my life. At 16 I rejected the idea of god.
Thank you for sharing this.

"Humility as a religious or spiritual virtue is different from the act of humiliation or shaming."
Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I like that. To me, having an open mind is one of the most important qualities a person can have. Whether it's me or others I associate with.

I find myself associating less and less with people who are too extreme. Too insistent that they know what's "right." I prefer conversations with those I disagree with who have an open mind to those who agree with me but cannot see the other side. My sister and I were just talking about his yesterday. She is very liberal politically and loves to "debate" with conservatives, yet she gets frustrated with those who share her liberal views but refuse to acknowledge the value of differing opinions.

Me too. In fact I crave it. Does that mean I'm addicted to knowledge? LOL

L

Very interesting...practicing humility helps me be that open-minded person. When I think I have all the answers...my mind is closed.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

I also think that humility is an act of love for myself and others.
"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, and it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4 (emphasis mine)
When I am practicing humility I am less likely to tell others what to do or think and like denny said, I remain teachable.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree that being humble mean being willing to be taught.

For me it also resonates with my faith which tells me all good things in my life come not by my doing really but thru God's blessings and grace. It is only thru God's grace that I was born in this time and place, with the abilities I have, that allows me to have a career I love and a good life in general.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

I believe the principle of humility helps people whether they are religious or not...whether they believe in God or not. I know not all AA's or alanons believe in God. Yet they still practice the principle of humility....if they so choose.

For me, one aspect of humility is recognizing your human...recognizing that you still...and will always occasionally make mistakes...this is what we all have in common whether we believe or not. For me....humility is at the heart of how well I treat others.

"To err is human."
Old 02-22-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Growing View Post
Very interesting...practicing humility helps me be that open-minded person. When I think I have all the answers...my mind is closed.
Exactly.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I completely agree, there is always something to be learnt. I can learn from my elders, through those younger than myself, from those well educated and those who aren't. Every opportunity provides a lesson. I think I too am addicted to knowledge. I believe humility is also maifested in not believing you are better than others for a reason or another. Its opposite is pride.

Lily xxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
. I believe humility is also maifested in not believing you are better than others for a reason or another. Its opposite is pride.
Thanks for this.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My dictionary says being humble is having or showing a consciousness of one's shortcomings. Where have I heard that before?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

interesting

Originally Posted by aztchr View Post
My dictionary says being humble is having or showing a consciousness of one's shortcomings. Where have I heard that before?
I love that!

Yes!...if I am aware of my shortcomings....then I...hopefully...will be patient, have compassion and respect for others when they share their shortcomings or struggles.

"showing a consciousness of one's shortcomings"
Old 02-23-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes!...if I am aware of my shortcomings....then I...hopefully...will be patient, have compassion and respect for others when they share their shortcomings or struggles.

Growing,

What is the possibility that we can talk you into having compassion and respect for yourself, with your OWN shortcomings, rather than just being aware of them?

Can you stand outside yourself, in your humility, and wear that T-shirt with the Einstein quote on it that says:

"I AM STILL LEARNING"

You are a work of fine art in progress. Every thing you learn about yourself is essential to crafting yourself further toward a joyous and meaningful life. We are all there with you!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am sure that you have all seen this before but it is so beautiful and addresses the issue of humility with such grace so I thought I would share it. I have Desiderata (latin I believe for "Things to be desired") hanging in my office and I refer to it almost daily. It keeps me grounded and sane.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post

Growing,

What is the possibility that we can talk you into having compassion and respect for yourself, with your OWN shortcomings, rather than just being aware of them?

Can you stand outside yourself, in your humility, and wear that T-shirt with the Einstein quote on it that says:

"I AM STILL LEARNING"

You are a work of fine art in progress. Every thing you learn about yourself is essential to crafting yourself further toward a joyous and meaningful life. We are all there with you!

Thank you Thank you
Thank you!!!!

((((GiveLove))))

Thank you for the welcome attitude tweek! You are the best!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

(((Kindeyes)))

How beautiful!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
I have Desiderata (latin I believe for "Things to be desired") hanging in my office and I refer to it almost daily. It keeps me grounded and sane.
I have that poem on my "vision board." I read it nearly every day, too. I never knew the translation of the title. Thanks.

L