Notices

Shake Rattle and Roll!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Spiritualist for Fatima

Shake Rattle and Roll!

Hi everyone,

someone gave me some advice on what I'm about to ask but I really need further help on the subject: Today is my second day of not drinking. Last Wednesday I went on a 7 day Vodka drinking binge. Ok, since stopping, I have had terrible shakes and uncontrollable muscle twitching. I feel like I'm having a seizure where my arms jump, etc... Furthermore, I have had the worse dreams ever imaginable from deep within my subconscious. They are so vivid that when I awake, I can't recall if I REALLY did or say things the night before or if it was just all in the dream. Get this, I went to the doctor and they just gave me a prescription for Vitamin B and suggested some sleeping medication called Lunesta. I'm actually concerned about my health (go figure after all the damage I've done). So my question is this.....

have any of you had these experiences before? Do they go away with time/sobriety? What can I do to help these shaking fits? I'm afraid to go to sleep...

thanks so much!

Fifty
Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you let your dr know what was going on with your physically?

And, yes these physical things will go away over time, but it will take awhile before your sleeping patterns get settled down again. Keep on moving forward.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Spiritualist for Fatima

Yes I told him but I believe now that I really need to find another practitioner. This one is so bogged down with so many clients I think he just scribbles on his pad and voila, off you go through the turnstile. I'm going to keep trying though but glad the sleep patterns will change in time! That's absolute torture for anyone, laying awake in bed watching the hours unfurl.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

First of all, you are not insane! ... Second, you are not alone. Withdrawal can be a rough and scary roller-coaster ride, but its a necessary one.

Here's some information which you might useful, about how you got to the state you're currently in...
Excerpts

And here's some information about what some of us went through when we were right where you're at right now...
Quitting

Its good that you've sought medical advice. A seven day vodka binge sounds pretty dangerous, and coming off it can kill you... NOT coming off it surely will.

We're not doctors. We can share our own experiences, strength and hope, provide encouragement and support, but we certainly can't provide medical advice other than to suggest that you seek medical help. Checking into a rehab facility might be what you need to do, but that's a decision which *you* must make.

Remember that your body, to include your brain and nervous system, have become accustomed to functioning with high levels of alcohol present in your system. So much so, that your cells have actually come to prefer functioning with alcohol, even though its killing them.

Now they have to adjust back to functioning without alcohol. This transition can be a traumatic thing. In extreme cases, doctors have even gone so far as to induce a coma in a patient while the transition occurs because they consider it less risky than not doing so... I share that in order to give you an idea of the seriousness of what we are talking about.

I had some really bad nightmares too for a while there... Scary enough to shake me to my core... Bad enough that I'd be disoriented for as much as fifteen minutes when I awoke -- not so much "where am I?" -- more along the lines of "OMG, *when* in my life is this?" I'd recognize the couch, for example, and I knew it was mine (I think), but I couldn't tell you if it was mine *now* or how long I'd had it or where it came from.

Those nightmares were very, *very* scary... But I learned something from each and every one of them... I learned something about me... I know what you mean about being afraid to fall asleep. So I prayed... and prayed... and then I prayed some more.

The good news about recovery is that the worst part of it is at the very beginning. What you're going through now is NOT a permanent situation. You just have to get through it is all, and then its behind you. After that, you never have to go through this particular h#ll ever again if you don't want to...

But you have to stick with it, and you have to keep moving forward. Right now, for you, more than anything that means simply not drinking, no matter what, no matter how bad it gets. Once you get past the "demons", it only gets better... And then it gets a *lot* better.

I also urge you to find an AA group if you already haven't. Attend at least 90 meetings over the next 90 days, at least one meeting a day... Talk to people. Ask for help. You'll be amazed at how many people will genuinely and sincerely want to help you.

But no one can do it for you. This is a ride you're going to have to do yourself. But there is absolutely no need whatsoever to do it ALONE...

You are *not* alone! And you CAN get through this. Its just going to be a little painful at first, but then the pain goes away. What you're going through right now is not permanent. Its just necessary. Its just temporary... Think of it as nature's way of shaking her finger at you and saying, "Don't you *ever* go back to that vodka again! Do you hear me!?!"

You are not alone! ... You can get through this.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you fell better real soon fifty. :ghug3
Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spiritualist for Fatima

Wow, thanks GreenTea for that useful information. I'm pleased to announce that I found an AA group today and it was a nice meeting. I got the 'Big Book' and will continue updating myself with information on what I've done.

Thanks Felly! I hope I feel better soon as well but in my research I've seen where they say that detoxing would be hellish the first few days. I came to expect it would happen so now I'm going to pray and stick with it. The people I know don't understand what I'm going through so I've cut my phone to mute and am really doing the big word: HEALING.

thanks again for the info and many blessings!!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fifty View Post
Hi everyone,

someone gave me some advice on what I'm about to ask but I really need further help on the subject: Today is my second day of not drinking. Last Wednesday I went on a 7 day Vodka drinking binge. Ok, since stopping, I have had terrible shakes and uncontrollable muscle twitching. I feel like I'm having a seizure where my arms jump, etc... Furthermore, I have had the worse dreams ever imaginable from deep within my subconscious. They are so vivid that when I awake, I can't recall if I REALLY did or say things the night before or if it was just all in the dream. Get this, I went to the doctor and they just gave me a prescription for Vitamin B and suggested some sleeping medication called Lunesta. I'm actually concerned about my health (go figure after all the damage I've done). So my question is this.....

have any of you had these experiences before? Do they go away with time/sobriety? What can I do to help these shaking fits? I'm afraid to go to sleep...

thanks so much!

Fifty
Yes, they definitely go away. In a week or two you will feel mostly normal (depending on how long you've abused alcohol). I'm on week three and I still have some problems sleeping. But it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was that first week.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Time ..it takes time to feel better.

As long as you continue to be a non drinker
You never have to do another de tox.

Keep moving forward..