Notices

What Do You/I Need to Do to Stay Sober?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Do You/I Need to Do to Stay Sober?

I posted this on the 3 Month and Under Thread, but I thought some others might find some strength in reading it. It's sent in that spirit. As always here at SR, any responses or thoughts (or even arguments!) are appreciated.

Hi All. Just checking in. Made it through day 2. Yay! As most of you know, I had 40 days, then fell off for five.

I see a few people here who are worried about falling off. My main advice may sound obvious, but it's meant in a heart-felt way: Take time to think a few times a day, and think "What do I need to do today to keep sober?"

I feel like I did this very often in the beginning, and I totally fell off it during the week leading up to my relapse. My general feeling was "I've got the hang of this now."

What each person needs is going to be different. But think and do what YOU need. Make a list, and do them, even if they're difficult. And listen to each other and your friends who have gone before you.

Just some advice from a humble Day-Twoer. I can also tell you that I felt so significantly better today than I did yesterday. I had that feeling in sobriety where it's like, "Wow, it's easier to stay sober than it is to drink." Not to say that it's easy. It's just easier for the person I want to be easy on: ME! When you're coming off a drink binge like me, you'll know that to be true.

In order to stay sober today, I did a lot of things that were harder than drinking. But there's no comparison between the ease in my mind. Today I have some, even if a small bit. Yesterday, I couldn't even remember what that ease was like.

Best wishes everyone. Thanks for being here.

And here's a bang on my head if I forget this myself...
Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Negative,
Good post. Nice chattin with ya last night. If you need someone to bring a frying pan over, give me a holla.

Oh, and I hope your not asking me advice on staying sober. Maybe a shocking dog collar that detects alcohol in a persons hand. Then, you'll spill the drink and be unable to drink it.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

You learned well.

I stay sober by not picking up that first one.
In the start of things, we may need tell ourself... just for this moment I won't drink. 20 years from now we could be saying no to such thoughts but 3 times a year...but we still need remember...don't pick up that first one.
One day at a time is still how I stay sober.
Just for today I won't drink.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Kasey View Post

Oh, and I hope your not asking me advice on staying sober. Maybe a shocking dog collar that detects alcohol in a persons hand. Then, you'll spill the drink and be unable to drink it.
Would work the same way, The batteries will get lax/weak and one day it won't shock the drink out of your hand...unless you put fresh batteries in it daily.

Good thought though. I know someone I can try it on *LOL*
Old 02-21-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

What I need to stay sober today is the knowledge that my mind, spirit and body needs something other than my drug of choice to be a free person cause all my doc gives me is misery. I might have memories of using that seem pleasant to my mind, but that is just my sickness calling me back to it. I so have one memory that I can recall if the thought of using becomes strong: the memory of the hangover I had the last time I fell.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

for me, i just keep saying... today, i can do a whole load of things i couldnt do...

if i was stil drink'n and a drug'n!

good wishes NM

think positive!

rz
Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

working a program honestly which for me has meant starting the steps again recently and letting go of the past.

but yes one day at a time has also been and still is how I stay drug free.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

I had to be honest, open minded, and willing. Which is cliche but it's cliche for a reason.
I have a sponsor who I call almost daily, the steps are a part of my life,
I pray in the morning and evening as instructed on BB pg's 86,87, and 88
I go to meetings.
I call a couple of drunks a day and ask how there days are.
I take a regular inventory
I try to help people.

And like everyone else said, one day at a time
I can do anything for 24 hours
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I want to be sober because I don't want to feel bad, I don't want anyone else to feel bad because of me and most of all I want to be me (not that drunk that climbs out of the bottle).

So I am thinking of that goal and ignoring the pesky thoughts, working on my therapy and just getting through.

Not easy though...but yes, worth it.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

My sobriety toolbox. I know when that urge hits me, if I go through it tool by tool, I will find something that will 'fix' the situation.

Thanks NM! Stay strong!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear Antonio,
I am behind you 100%, if I can be of any help, PM me.

Seren

(been there, dun that, puked on the T shirt)
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ha-ha. I was like, Who's Antonio? Now I've got it!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What do I need to stay sober?

God ... AA ... Carol make a solid recovery force.

Thanks NM for the thread ..
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gotcha !!:rof

What I need to stay sober is to guard and cherish my sobriety with all that I have.
To appreciate each single day what a gift my sober life is, all the little and the big things have "bling".
To remember where I came from, and know how far I have come, and that I need never go back there again.
To know that I am child of this universe and I am entitled to peace, contentment and joy.

Seren
Old 02-24-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kasey View Post

Humm, there's an 'filler' running on TV here, Homer (as in Simpson), is trying to get his 6 pack (which for some reason is slung over the powercables). Up he goes...'humm beer'...reaches out....huge shock, trys again...same thing, trys to lick it (!!!)...same thing... DOH!!

REAL FUNNY :rof (but of course it was all too close to home!!)