OT I ran my first 1/2 marathon today

Old 02-17-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

OT I ran my first 1/2 marathon today

I ran my first half marathon today.. all the proceeds from this race went to breast cancer research.

It was a liberating, emotional and inspiring experiance. For two and a half hours I forgot about my husbands drug abuse, the enourmouse amount of emotional pain i have been experiancing and I focused on me.

I realized how lucky I am to have my health because there were women running beside me who were breast cancer survivers, women who were standing on the side of the road cheering us on with tears in their eyes because they were experiancing breast cancer and women (and men too) who had pictures of loved ones taped to the back of their shirts who had been lost to this disease. I just felt so blessed that I was able to run this..

To think that I almost had myself talked out of participating in this event at the beginning of the week because my AH drug abuse was getting in the way of my life.. I'm so glad I did this..

One of the highlights of my race was that my AH was cheering me on at the finish line.. it has been a looooooooong time since he has been there to support me when I have run in the past. The last 5K I ran a couple of weeks ago, he unwillingly went with me and I found him sleeping off his hangover from drugs in the car 40 minutes after I was finished. Today gave me a small ray of hope that things may be on the right track after all.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Good for you!
Isn't it true? How if we let it, addiction can take all the joy out of life. Many times I didn't do something I wanted to do because I let myself get so wrapped up in the worry and problems of those I love. It consumed me so much that I couldn't function enough to enjoy what was good and right in my life.
The times when I pulled away from their problems and forced myself to continue my life have always been such blessings of relief.
Wow! What an accomplishment!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So proud of you! You go girl!!!!!!!
I am glad you were able to think about something other than his addiction for a while and enjoy yourself.
You rock!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for the inspiration

So proud of you! I am trying to get there. I did sign up to meet with a personal trainer for Wed. this has given me the inspiration I needed. I realized I havn't done anything for myself in a long time so I made the appt. I've been also debating on starting up jogging. I need to find that peace. thanks again.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Congrats! Thats awesome!!:bounce
Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by exdopeyswife View Post
So proud of you! I am trying to get there. I did sign up to meet with a personal trainer for Wed. this has given me the inspiration I needed. I realized I havn't done anything for myself in a long time so I made the appt. I've been also debating on starting up jogging. I need to find that peace. thanks again.
Good for you..... taking care of yourself is so important and often our situations with the substance abusers make us forget that. If we don't take care of us, who will?

Running and any other form of exercise has always been my outlet, here lately I have been so upset about my situation at home that not even exercise could get me out of my funk.

After yesterday I'm now starting to feel like my old self again..
Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is AWESOME!! Congratulations to you!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

WOW, thats so great. And thank you for supporting such a great cause. (from someone who can't run)
Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Excelllent!!! Great for you and such a good cause too. I'm so glad you didn't back out and had a memorable day
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I run marathons too, and its a great hobby, and a fantastic way of taking care of yourself! Congratulations!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Good for you!~ I missed this when you posted it!

I'm thinking about doing the LA Marathon. . How long did you train for?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jerect - your post brought tears to my eyes! Congrats girl! My sister has gotten into running and is actually training for a marathon in Oct. (She's nuts if you ask me, that's what they make cars for to go that distance Anyway she's been after me to start running with her. I've been so caught up in the drama of AH that I haven't really taken the time to take care of myself in that aspect. I know it would help - thanks for the post, it's great encouragement to me! Keep at it and you should be proud 1/2 marathon is a LONG time to run!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Jerect - your post brought tears to my eyes! Congrats girl! My sister has gotten into running and is actually training for a marathon in Oct. (She's nuts if you ask me, that's what they make cars for to go that distance Anyway she's been after me to start running with her. I've been so caught up in the drama of AH that I haven't really taken the time to take care of myself in that aspect. I know it would help - thanks for the post, it's great encouragement to me! Keep at it and you should be proud 1/2 marathon is a LONG time to run!
You should so totally do it! I'm going to do it!!

I've done two rollerblading ones, one was a 100 miles the other was
only 26, I've never been able to do a running one cuz I have a bad
knee, but I'm going to try it. It's such a rush!! :atv

that's what they make cars for to go that distance
Nah, even my car had a hard time doing the 100 mile one.... lol...
when we tested it. . I should have gotten a clue then eh..
Old 08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks DWI - I'll put you in the same crazy category as my sister 100 miles - wow, you must have some muscular legs, roller blading is great for the legs and booty! Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jerect..... it's great to E - see you on here. I've been wondering how you have been!

Congratulations on the marathon!!!!!!! I'm glad for you that you have been looking after you and doing something for you --- that you enjoy!