Language of Letting Go - February 17

Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - February 17

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Acceptance

Our basic recovery concept that never loses its power to work miracles is the concept called acceptance.

We do not achieve acceptance in a moment. We often have to work through a mirage of feelings - sometimes anger, outrage, shame, self-pity, or sadness. But if acceptance is our goal, we will achieve it.

What is more freeing than to laugh at our weaknesses and to be grateful for our strengths? To know the entire package called "us" - with all our feelings, thoughts, tendencies, and history - is worthy of acceptance and brings healing feelings.

To accept our circumstances is another miraculous cure. For anything to change or anyone to change, we must first accept others, the circumstance, and ourselves exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become grateful for our circumstances or ourselves. We add a touch of faith by saying, "I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment."

No matter how complicated we get, the basics never lose their power to restore us to sanity.

Today, God, help me practice the concept of acceptance in my life. Help me accept others, my circumstances, and myself. Take me one step further, and help me feel grateful.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

For the longest time I thought "acceptance" meant to condone something, and it was impossible for me to "accept" things like addiction and that life wasn't going where I needed it to go.

Then I came to realize that "acceptance" was simply acknowledging what was and the fact that I had no power over it. It took me out of denial.

The Serenity Prayer begins....God, grant me the serenity to "accept" the things I cannot change. I said that prayer many times a day but it took a long time for me to "get" what it meant.

Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become grateful for our circumstances or ourselves. We add a touch of faith by saying, "I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment."
Hindsight has shown this to be true for me. And I live by the saying "If you can't change your circumstance, then change your attitude". It's all about how I choose to look at life...as a victim or as a survivor. I prefer survivor.

Hugs