How do you pass the time?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How do you pass the time?

We know what they say about an idle mind, I've got so many thoughts in my head right now that I prefer do be doing something productive.

I turn pens (as well as kechains, letter openers and other trinkets) as a hobby. I've included a pic of some of my recent work.

The blue pen is acrylic and all the others are wood. No color/stain on these, just the natural color of the woods I've used.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say those are beautiful Atlanta. Take care.
I'm still trying to find ways to fill up my time. I'm in early recovery
myself, but am a codie too. With that artistic ability you most definitely have, I hope you are pursuing your talent in that direction.
Wish I had more suggestions for you, wanted to offer some support.
I know others will be along with some ideas....
Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mom is a pen-junkie! She would love your creations! Anyone recall all those darn lighted pens that were for sale all over the place a few years ago...? You know, click the top and the bulb lights up? She even has the plastic holder that you are using, TDinATL, to display them!

As for passing time, I know it's hard to have a different outlook right now, but try to appreciate that time is limited and should not be 'passed' just for the sake of it passing! I love what you are doing with your craft...I hope you are able to enjoy it as time well spent rather than as a means of simply making time pass...

Thanks for the crafty inspiration!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sudoku, reading blogs online, calligraphy and knitting (I'm just learning both at 50!). You might also take a cooking class or check out the local college for more creative outlets. I wish I exercised (LOL) and really should. I also do not "bar-hop" at night. It is a sad scene out there, in my opinion. But by staying in most evenings, I get a luxurious night's sleep, a simple thing I am truly grateful for!

I love your handiwork--just beautiful! Do you take your work on-the-road at craft shows?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful work.

I do artwork as well, it never lets me down and the time just melts away. And there are plenty of half-finished projects around the house that need my attention! Yardwork always beckons as well. Journaling and hanging around SR are great, too!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I actually don't sell my pens, but I do give a lot of them away! I'm kind of a serial-entrpeneur type and anything I've enjoyed in the past I'd try to turn into into a business and it went from being an enjoyable hobby to... WORK! :-)

peaceteach - Hmmm, I haven't seen calligraphy pen kits for me to be able to make, I'll have to check into that...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me it's exercise (running, strength training, stretching) - religiously. Also pro sports (am a season ticket holder for local pro hockey team for example). And yardwork and general home maintenance (eg painting). All of these help me to focus on myself and not on the AW. And of course Alanon. Oh and I travel some for business and that actually is a godsend - allows me to get away and clear the mind occassionally.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

While my AH was actively drinking and now that he is in recovery, I've had to find things in life to keep me happy, purposeful and all about me. Let's see... when I'm not on this board... I work full time (yuck); I have lots of friends that I do things with (movies, lunch and dinner); I started making bath and body products several years ago, which has turned into a nice little business; I joined the Y and take water aerobics; I started a serious diet (23 pounds down!), and now some friends and I are looking into joining a line dancing group (and they don't hold the lessons at a bar). But I can remember darker days years ago, when my only purpose in life was tracking down my AH, arguing with him, threatening him, trying to control every situation, instead of allowing God to handle it. I was miserable and unhappy. I have learned that life is good and fun, if I allow it to be.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

TD, those are beautiful!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Reading....SR....hiking and meditation.

Great thread!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Barbara!

I really enjoy making these. The simplest ones take me about 15 minutes and the most intricate can take about 2 hours. It's nice that within 2 hours tops I can hold the fruit of my labor in my hand and enjoy it.

I've also had a lot of my friends and neighbors over to make their own pens. The simple kits are easy to make with no experience and a little guidance - and everyone leaves my garage with a pen they made themselves!

My next step is "exotic" materials. They actually sell Wooly Mammoth ivory pieces to make into pens, over 10,000 years old!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Those are lovely TD! I didn't know you could buy kits for making your own pens. I'll have to look into those. I've got the ocean right down my street with all sorts of wood washed up on the beach......a driftwood pen!

ARL
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wow im really impressed they are lovely!!
When i first detached from my now xab i had completly forgotten what i liked, had no hobbies, friends had mostly lost patience with me, if anyone asked me "What would you like to do" I couldnt answer, i had lost me.

But in time i started doing things like going for walk, playing with my kids and am currently learning Italian for when we go to Venice in the summer, so slowly but surely im getting there. It's amazing how much time you have on your hands without your alcoholic isnt it?

Mair xx
Old 02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

TD just beautiful work of art there! I have a few neat pen's that my girlfriends mother bought us-with enamel/jewels on them. These are very stunning!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
up and out

What really neat pens TD.

I love to spend time with my son and my cat, working on computers, nesting (an interesting word a friend of mine used to describe making your home comfortable), jewelry making and coming up with ways to talk myself out of going to the gym. Sheesh, its across the street after all. I've GOT to start going back...haha!

When i'm not involved with my xabf, i've got so much time to fill up and i've really got to be careful not to become idle too long. Great thread!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by appleblaster View Post
...and coming up with ways to talk myself out of going to the gym.
We can share lists if you start to run low! :-)

Last edited by TDinATL; 02-18-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Typo!