Notices

10th Avenue Freeze Out...

Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

10th Avenue Freeze Out...

Wow, what a trigger!
There I was, minding my own business, puttering around the house with my IPOD on. The baby was down for her nap, all was quiet, all my housework was done, and I was feeling great. Then, my favorite Springsteen song comes on '10th Ave.....', I turn it up and 2 seconds later....BOOM!
Like that, after 20 days of sobriety and 100% commitment, I was this close to pouring a drink. As I listened to this song, I romanced about all the FUN times (ya right) I'd had partying to that song. I wanted a drink SO BAD I COULD TASTE IT!
I am astounded at how overwhelming the desire to drink was.
I thought about pouring the drink. I actually thought about it.
But instead, I tore out my earphones, put the IPOD down and sat down and breathed. I picked up a Suduko book sitting beside me and did a puzzle, just to re-focus my mind. And it passed. That was about an hour ago and I'm ok so far. I can feel it though. That burning desire in my chest. It's Friday night, hubby will be home soon, baby will be down for the night in a couple of hours. And I'll be free to have those drinks..........
Free....ya right.
I know the drill, if I have one, I'll be drunk. I'll blackout. I'll be sick tomorrow.
WTF
It's the flippin idea of it. The romance of it...I know that! I know it isn't real. I know it won't be good if I drink. I'm telling that demon to 'F off'......but yet......there it is, in my chest, gnawing away at me.
I honestly feel like screaming. That is how frustrated and confused I feel. I hate this demon that lives inside of me.
I'm NOT going to drink. Bottom line. But it is a real struggle right now.
Thanks for letting me rant!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

((((Tay))))

It's so weird, songs can be triggers for me too (and yea, Bruce brings back a lot of memories doing drinkin' games)

You didn't give in to the demon. You didn't give in!

I'm so glad you posted. It will pass, and the good feelings of NO HANGOVER, NO BLACKOUTS will remind you why you are trying so hard. And you beat this one trigger.

WTG!:ghug3
Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok, awesome reply WJW! I'm going to re-read it should the going get tougher. Thanks a bunch.....hugs.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got tired of white-knuckling it so I'm off to bed...yes, before 8pm on Friday....at least I'm sober.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Scary, sleep is how i cope too, my brain seems to reset after sleep. I am sure we will see you later tonight

Don't you think maybe you should get rid of the liquor in your house?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Stay. It would be a really good idea to get the liquor out of your home. My experience is that the obsession does pass. As long as I do not give in it will go away. Keep posting.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

honestly, if there was liq-er in my house it would be hard for me not to drink it & especially at this hour. nice on the self control. keep up the good work.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You did do the correct thing...you took action
by re focusing your mind with a puzzle.
Mega
Way to go!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Tay,

You're doing soo good! You've come a really long way in your sober time.

Cravings suck but you handled it well. I don't remember if you are an AA'r but now is the time to start working the Steps if you are.

Big hugs,

Karen
Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I made it through. Went to be early and did Suduko for three hours! Man, do I know how to rock on a Friday night! LOL
I have tried to get rid of the booze in my house, but my husband drinks. I've asked for his support, but he still buys the booze and drinks it in front of me. I guess I could speak up and tell him that doesn't help. But I haven't because I don't want to impose my hardships on him.
Anyways, I made it through. We leave in a few hours for our families house, out of town. We have a birthday party to go to tonight. I am prepared to do what I need to do tonight should the urge come again. I have the name and number of an AA friend in my cell phone in case I should really struggle.
The weirdest thing happened this morning! I had bad drinking dreams last night, when I woke up this morning, I lay in bed in so much pain. I was overwhelmed with pain. So I prayed. Begged for the pain to be removed, and as I prayed, I felt it go away. When I finished my prayer, the pain was gone. I couldn't believe it. I actually sat up and 'searched' my insides for some residual pain. Nothing. It was gone. I am in total amazement this morning. That has never happened before. So tonight, if I struggle again, I'll be praying my ass off!
I'll post back tomorrow to let you know how I made out.
Today is day 21. I don't intend to throw away 21 days of sobriety.
Hugs to all.
Tay.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Old 02-16-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

Cool

Originally Posted by tay-lyn View Post
I have tried to get rid of the booze in my house, but my husband drinks. I've asked for his support, but he still buys the booze and drinks it in front of me. I guess I could speak up and tell him that doesn't help. But I haven't because I don't want to impose my hardships on him.

That's real tough Tay. I'm really impressed that you stayed strong! That's some kind of temptation, and work so hard not to hit the booze when it's under your roof

Good work Tay! Here's to another sober day!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

............now i am all curios about Suduko
Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

I'm a little late to this thread, but...

I know how you felt Tay. There are a couple of songs* that I haven't listen to since I quit. I'm sure I could control myself, but why give myself that discomfort if I can avoid it.

*"The Have Nots" by X, it's a song about hanging out in bars and drinking all the time. And "Zero the Hero" by Black Sabbath, not sure why this one makes me want to drink.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Tay, my wife hardly drinks which is a big help, maybe you and your husband can reach some sort of compromise.
I'm playing catch up at the moment and have read quite a few of your posts, and you have made me laugh a few times. Good going on the 20 odd days and best wishes to you.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

Way to go Tay. Prayer is the single most important aspect of my recovery program. I remember you said you were considering AA. You basically just took the first 2 steps.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Lurker

One day at a time. Tay To this day I still do not listen to Billy Joel much. So many drinking songs. Any glad you doing well, and It does get better.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

HI Tay,
Just like to thank you for sharing what you did in your post. I got plenty of identification! Songs are mjor triggers for me lol! I know 100% what you mean aswell- about the over whelming desire to drink- its so powerful. I have had the experince a few times in the past 13 days i've remained sober. I find sharing it with another alcoholic very helpful. I also pray - just the serenity prayer- i find this helps me. Well done for getting through it though- good thinking with the soduko! Hope you have a good weekend.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

SF69;
I was born in '70 and right from the get-go was a music junkie. I remember a few songs from 'X'. In highschool, I loved my punk and what we called 'new wave' back then.
lostmdboy;
I cannot think of college without fondly remembering all those house parties where we cranked Billy Joel. He is one of my fav's!
StayinAlive;
If you haven't tried Suduko, I suggest you don't! It is super addictive. Once I pick up a book of puzzles, I can spend hours and hours doing them.

Anyways, thanks so much to everyone for the great replies, they were great!