A meditation on love

Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
A meditation on love

This was Today's Thought email from Hazelden. I hope it's a good post-Valentine's Day thought to share with everyone on SR............

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

All our loves are first loves.
--Susan Fromberg Schaeffer

When we fall in love with someone, it is a unique thing that comes from deep within us. Any relationship is the creation of two people who open themselves to each other and share themselves beyond the usual boundaries. That is the excitement of true love. Two people give each other the keys to their private world, just as we might share the key to our home, trusting that it will be used with care and respect. This intimacy isn't usually instantaneous. It builds on experience together.

In an intimate relationship, we have the responsibility to be good stewards of the trust given us. Looking at our partner's role is always so much easier than looking at our own, but we need to resist that easy temptation. Our first questions should always be - Do I make it safe for my partner to be open with me? Do I take my partner's vulnerability as a trust that I do not abuse? Am I gentle and respectful with the key my partner gave me?

Today I will be a good partner; honoring and guarding the trust I have been given.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Do I make it safe for my partner to be open with me?
The answer to this question was no. How could I have expected Richard to be open with me when I was searching through his private things for hidden bottles of alcohol and accusing him of being drunk a million times? Recovery is about me finding the courage to open my eyes and see the part I played in the breakup of my relationship. When I was finally ready to do that, it wasn't a pretty picture.

Thankfully, my HP has given me an opportunity to learn from my mistakes.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Thankfully, my HP has given me an opportunity to learn from my mistakes.
Amen!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Astro my friend!