Notices

5th Day, still going. and serious question

Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 5th Day, still going. and serious question

SR families-

How have you been? I have been sick for last 3 days so I couldn't come to the forum. I am not sure I came down with flu or it is one of withdrawal symptoms. Fever, sleepy all day, headache, fatigue, unusual sweating at night....

I wouldn't have started my new journy without your support. My sincere appreciation to all of you.

I am facing another problem, I don't usually eat much but when I eat, I eat as if there is no tomorrow, sometimes till I get sick. It seems that my fullness doesn't register in the brain, even after 15 min what people usually say it takes for brain to realize fullness. I wonder some chemicals in the brain (I would guess seratonin) has changed to result in this situation.
Does anybody experience this? Any suggestion? I heard there is medication that helps with that. I really need to come up with healthy eating plan. I don't want to be bulimic :wtf2

Thank you. One day at a time. See ya soon
Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no experience here, but thought I would post so you knew someone was at least paying attention...

There is a forum here for eating disorders, have you posted your plea for help there?

Good job on day 5!!!
Day 4 here!

The flu has been going around, maybe you got hit with both! (that sorta would be good I think, as you won't get the flu back and go through that stuff again!)

*hugs to you* and Let's keep it up!!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Becky,

I am glad you're feeling better.

I don't know much about eating disorders, but I think addiction is addiction. It seems to me that making a daily menu, and sticking to it. Try eating slowly and don't be distracted with TV or other things while you are eating. I don't know if there is medication to help with this, but I would think that sticking to a daily menu would be more helpful.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

Congrats on day 5 becky! I remember cause I'm on the same day!

I have felt some of the things you are talking about.....and honestly, I am giving myself LOTS of leeway on the eating thing. I'm not much of an eater either, and the past five days, my pantry quivers in fear when it hears my footsteps in the kitchen!

LOL! I am drinking LOTS of fluids: water, tea, soft drinks etc. That seems to help somewhat. Especially since the nightsweats are killing me!

Hope it's not the flu, and hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Yay Becky! Congrats on Day 5!

Not sure what your symptoms are due to, but I had the flu about 6 weeks ago and I had all of those with a bad cough. But like wjw said, get plenty of rest and fluids!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

that sounds like withdrawl to me. Your body is looking for booze to breakdown and you stopped putting it in. Therefore, you are very hungry and using food to compensate for lack of the booze. Don't over do it. I put on 15 lbs in the hab over 28 dayz, which was good cause I wasn't eating when drinking. I'm no doctor so don't take my word for it. Taking some vitamins might be a good idea...cold water and ride it out. best of luck!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am facing another problem, I don't usually eat much but when I eat, I eat as if there is no tomorrow, sometimes till I get sick. It seems that my fullness doesn't register in the brain, even after 15 min what people usually say it takes for brain to realize fullness. I wonder some chemicals in the brain (I would guess seratonin) has changed to result in this situation.
Does anybody experience this? Any suggestion? I heard there is medication that helps with that. I really need to come up with healthy eating plan. I don't want to be bulimic :wtf2
[/QUOTE]

Hi, Becky! Congratulations on day 5!!!

I'm on day 19, and during the first two weeks...probably around day 3 or so....I started to crave sugar like crazy. Also my appetite increased in general. I don't know, but maybe that's normal? And even though I was scarfing down about 5 or 6 oatmeal cookies a day, I've still lost a few pounds since giving up the wine. There are a lot of calories in wine!

Your body is just begining to recover, and not only that, but you've been sick too, so maybe for now you ought to listen to your body, eat what you want and not get too anxious about it? After a few weeks you could see how you feel and then maybe decide to adopt an eating plan if that feels right.

I hope bulimia isn't going to be a problem for you. If it is, I think you should talk to your doc.

Anyway, just my thoughts as a fellow newbie....

Trakin
Old 02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you here again!
Way to go on your sober time!

I did follow an eating plan in early sobriety.
It's in the back of the book
"Under The Influence"

Many drinkers find following a diet for hypoglycemia helpful.
Google for info.

Talking honestly with your doctor is always wise.

Keep moving forward...
tomorrow will be better than today.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Smile

Originally Posted by beckybeagle View Post
SR families-

Thank you. One day at a time. See ya soon
Of course I would see a doctor asap.

But as to medication? I would suggestion eating. You said you don't usually eat much....

When we don't that usually puts our body/mind into starvation mode and so when we "Do" eat we binge, some people vomit on purpose some just eat till they have to be sick.

That is a very common sign of bulimia. It is what leads to a binge and purge cycle or progression as well.

Even if you eat a lot of small meals a day. This may help. If you can you may want to see a nutritionist.

That's been my experience with eating disorders, but I would definitely go to your doctor and have it checked out as it could be something physical, and if you are throwing up it can set off your electrolytes, which can be deadly.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all! As warm support and helpful tips as usual.

Yes, I should listen to my body. My body might be trying to adjust new situation: no alcohol and food digestion. I am a nibbler, I nibble all day - veggies, salad, soup, nuts no problem but if I have a meal, that's when my food obsession starts. But I will go to see a psychiatrist to make well-informed decision. I am sleepy again..heheheh

I will be back soon.
Hugs to all.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
REZ

I developed an eating disorder after getting clean and sober. I was substituting food for my other addictions. The 12 steps helped me to deal with my food issues. I am much more moderate in my food consumption today.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am a recovering anorexic and bulimic in addition to being an alcoholic - I'm on day 6 of sobriety. (Sadly, I kind of traded one for another.) Anyway, I have been staying away from sugar completely since I've tried to stop drinking and also am taking nutritional supplements, specifically selected to try to retain a sort of physical equilibrium while I sober up: milk thistle, lecithin, magnesium, l-glutamine, B-complex, fish oils, as well as a good multivitamin and melatonin for sleep. This was not cheap: I think I spent $40 for all of this. But, I think this has helped. I have also been following a nutritional plan emphasizing whole grains, veggies, and proteins, though I haven't tried to stop drinking coffee, as I'm told I should.

That said, my body's consuming fewer calories than it's used to because I was getting a ton of (empty, non-nutritive) calories through alcohol. So, I do find I'm hungrier than I used to be. But I'm not so famished that I eat until I make myself sick. It seems possible that it's as much about comforting yourself with food because you miss drinking and it's bringing up emotions as about nutrients, but I could be wrong.

I don't know if any of this was helpful, but do let us know how this is going for you. Thanks for sharing.