leaving my AH

Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

leaving my AH

well it has been almost a month since i last submitted a thread.
last time i was here i was feeling abit optimistic about my AH in his new recovery. at the time i was feeling guilty for continuing to feel he would relapse, and so i was still saving money and prepareing for the enevitable. well his sobriety was brief about three days i think. it made me sad to see he was still continuing to use, and hide it from me, as if a person can't tell. he keeps telling me he needs time... i guess 7 1/2 yrs isn't enuf time. So i have been going to a weekly alanon meeting where at least i can vent about my feelings and find compassion from people who have been in my shoes. i am saddened in the fact that i am unable to cope with his addiction, can't let it go. so i supposse the only answer is for me to leave him. i guess i am hoping that a seperation will set him straight. hopefuly we wont end up in a divorce. i just have no other answer for myself.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lots of love and support. It's so hard, and I know how much it hurts. For me, I reached the end of my rope (and as most know only then found out about the addiction), but I wanted happiness. Be good to yourself. You know what it's about. You know enough to make an educated decision for yourself, not that it makes it easier. ((((hugs)))) I know I've seen it here, but not in a while, but I go back to the phrase that's something about expectations being future disappointments. I wish for you, me and everyone - No expectations, just what is real and now.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I feel for you I really do because I can totaly see myself in your shoes in a not so distant future. I'm trying to be optimistic about my AH's recovery too but this other part of me tells me not to let my guard down to do what I have to do in order to protect myself financialy and emotionaly if he fails in his recovery, cause this his is last chance with me.

Just know that you are not alone and Kudos to you for being strong and sticking to your boundries.

((((hugs and lots of prayers))))))
Old 02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Originally Posted by hundow08 View Post
he keeps telling me he needs time... i guess 7 1/2 yrs isn't enuf time.
This is the truth. I was with an alcoholic bf for 6 years. He kept making promises of all kind that he never ever kept. He strung me along apologizing for breaking a promise, but made a new promise each time not to break the promise! My friend said to me, "You've waited 6 years. How many more years will you wait for something that will never happen?"
It woke me up.

I am sorry you have to go through this. I know it's stressful. Keep the focus on your own self preservation.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((((hugs)))))

You are in a tough situation, and you must remember that you are doing it for the right reasons even when it doesn't feel that way.