brother in denial

Old 02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

brother in denial

Hi folks...I'm new and searching for answers. My brother is 56 and addicted to pain medications due to a back injury YEARS ago. Oxy/fentanyl patch...just to name a few/my mother is obsessed with helping him. We have paid off debts/medical expenses/loans/...he lost his wife over a year ago from MS/cancer/lupus/he was her main caregiver for 10 years. Feeding/ changing diapers/waiting on her hand and foot. A beuatiful love story. I am so very proud of how well he cared for her but thru it all he was over medicating. He has an admitted history of problems with alcohol/gambling and cocaine..but, of course, he was "never "addicted.We are searching for detox/rehab centers just in case he will agree to get help. One of my concerns is how will he deal with the pain if he gives up the meds/is he truly an addict..we are lost and seeking help. He says that he can't sleep and is constantly falling down but only at night. The dr who prescribes his meds "obviously knows what he is doing" or he wouldn't prescribe them...so my brother says. I need to help my mother 1st and formost in dealing with this and I want to help my brother.
Thank you for listening
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome, dallas, I am sorry for the pain that brought you here but glad you joined us.

The only thing that helped me regain my balance was to go to meetings and surround myself with support there and here as I learned a better way to live, free from fear and anxiety.

Stick around, read the "sticky" posts at the top, and know you have found a wonderful place where we all understand what you and your mom are going through.

Hugs
Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. i am glad you are here. i do not know if your brother is an addict or not but it kinda sounds like it to me. there are other ways to control pain other than drugs. if your brother does not think he is or does not want the help nothing will help him. i agree with ann. find a meeting & take your mom with you. keep coming back here, there is lots of info here & we all have an addict we love. prayers for your brother & your family.