Notices

hello everyone

Old 02-11-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy hello everyone

well, i am not real sure how this website works yet. i am trying to figure it out though. anyways, i am a 29 year old alcoholic. i have been to rehab and detoxed several times. this last time i was sober for 27 days and i recently slipped up. i am very frustrated with myself right now and confused. does anyone have any advice for me on how to handle this slip up?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shay,

Welcome!

The main thing is to keep on trying. There is lots of support and information here.

Try to figure out why you slipped up, what caused it, and then you can use it as a learning experience.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome Shay

Lets see...how do I handle a choice to drink?

I get up the next morning and start over trying to stay sober for just that one day.
If I make it that one day, I get up the next morning (without a hangover) and just for that one day, I strive to stay sober yet again. (repeat as wanted daily)

Dust yourself off. Pull up the boot straps and start this day as the day you won't drink.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Shay

Have you tried AA meetings or any other support groups?
When we do it on our own...it can be tough.
When we do it with the support of others...it can still be tough but it sure is easier then trying it alone.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

Just don't be too hard on your self. Getting sober was the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever done.
If we didn't relapse, there would be no recovery.

Why do we fall down? To pick ourselves back up.

Are you going to AA or trying another route?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Shay, I'm far too new to this to give advice, but I can assure you that you're not alone! I am on day 16 (again...been here before too). We all slip, we all fall, but it is those of us who get up again that have a hope. So all I can say to you is good for you for trying again! Stick around, you'll find lots of people here who can give you great advice!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you to all of you who replied. your comments mean a lot to me. it is comforting to hear nice words from people instead of being put down.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by *shay* View Post
thank you to all of you who replied. your comments mean a lot to me. it is comforting to hear nice words from people instead of being put down.
I am a newbie as well and I have found this place to be very friendly and helpful. Putting anyone down never helped anything. I don't think anyone here would ever put you down because we all have been there and some are still "there."
Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Shay
Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR - It is a great forum to get information and guidance from people who know exactly what you are going through.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi shay -

welcome to SR!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome ...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Hi Shay! Welcome1

Don't have too much to add to what the others have said. Just don't let a slip get you down and keep trying!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

Originally Posted by best View Post
Welcome Shay

Lets see...how do I handle a choice to drink?

I get up the next morning and start over trying to stay sober for just that one day.
If I make it that one day, I get up the next morning (without a hangover) and just for that one day, I strive to stay sober yet again. (repeat as wanted daily)

Dust yourself off. Pull up the boot straps and start this day as the day you won't drink.

My plan is just for today. Today I will not drink. I always thought the One day at a time phrase was slightly corny, until I realized THAT is how it can work for me to be sober.

Good thoughts going out to you Shay
Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Shay not knowing what you are doing to saty sober since you got out of treatment makes it a bit hard for me to comment, so I will tell you a small bit of my story.

For the last 10 years of my drinking I spent the first 5 of those years trying to stop drinking my way! My way always seemed to result in me relapsing, you see my way always involved no one but myself, so every time I started to fall there was no one there to catch me when I started to fall, I simply fell flat on my face and started drinking again.

When I was in detox they told me over and over again "If you want a chance to stay sober after you leave here you need to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor!"

When I went into detox I was in the early part of the final stage of alcoholism, I had seen death in my future if I continued to drink so I was willing to do anything to stay sober. I did exactly as they suggested in detox when I got out.

What I quickly learned was when I got on a slippery slope and was about to fall back into drinking I was no longer alone, all I had to do was make the effort to let some one know I was about to fall and there were friendly hands holding me up to where I would not fall.

Every detox and re-hab no matter the length is designed to simply get one sober enough, long enough to where they can begin to work on thier choice of a long term recovery program.

I am sure that the rehabs you went to told you that you need to do a follow up long term recoevry program.

What are you doing as a long term recovery program?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

HI Shay, Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here in your journey to recovery! Jomey
Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by *shay* View Post
it is comforting to hear nice words from people instead of being put down.
Diddo We have had enough put downs in our lives and don't need to add to the fuel...

WELCOME

Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello I know what you mean by slip up and beleive me a slip up is alot better than a mess up or given up. Im new to this site but recovery is an old friend just remeber your tryin and thats all we can do its hard please don't beat urself up. Your worth it and I feel like addiction is kind of like a lose and i lost my brother 4 years ago so i can say this. Addiction is like a cut or lose it never goes away maybe we just learn to handle it better.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

How ya doing today? I hope all is well
Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
problem with authority

5 months

Hi Shay,

Welcome. It took me a long time to get to a point where I wanted to do something about my drinking. I pretty much knew I was an alcoholic but felt I was "different" from people who went to AA and simply did not think I could be helped.

I suppose what happened for me is I got to a place where the next thing I would lose if I kept drinking was simply too high a price to pay for taking another drink. For each of us that is different, so it's best not to compare stories. I never got a DUI, lost my job, stole anything, or had serious health problems from drinking...YET. It was all on the horizon, though, and I knew things would only get worse, not better.

I have five months as of last weekend...I also went to a detox and a rehab. What keeps me from picking up a drink is having done a very thorough first step with my sponsor...writing it all down and then telling another person all of the things that happened as a result of my drinking. No matter how bad things get I have this list to refer to, and then I think about how much of a struggle life is now, and realize that it would only be more of a struggle if I were also suffering the consequences listed in my first step on top of it.

-M