Notices

Thank You For the Compliment!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Thank You For the Compliment!

Yesterday was tough, my sister, her hubby and 2 babies were visiting. Along with our new baby, it was a lot of work. A bit of stress as it seemed all the babies cried all night and none of us adults got any sleep. Although we all laughed about it in the morning, I was feeling quite crusty. I was on Day 15 of sobriety and felt very irritable and short of patience. I made myself sneak away for a few minutes of 'me time' so that I could re-group.
I got online quick to send a message to a friend and found a new Private Message in my Inbox. It was wonderful. Someone I don't know, read my posts and sent me a PM with a simple compliment. I can't tell you how wonderful that compliment made me feel. And it stuck with me all day. Whenever I thought about it, I smiled and felt great. It changed my whole day.
Reminded me how easy it is for all of us to support each other. How easy it is to take a few seconds to lift someones spirits. And what a difference it can make to them.
I want to send a HUGE thank you to this person (she knows who she is). And say you really made my day!
Hugs
Tay.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

We never know how something we say here might help another in recovery get through a difficult time...carrying the message really does work wonders! And, it never hurts to let someone know how much they are appreciated.

Hugs, backatcha, Tay (even though I know I'm not the one who sent you the PM, I'm glad you're here, too.)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

That's a nice story, it's happened to me on here as well - feeling a bit down in the dumps and then get an encouraging PM that sticks with you all day long...
Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hugs to you too Jersey Nonny! I think all of our replies to peoples posts are compliments as well. Shows the person who posted that we're here and we're listening. Being listened to is a compliment all in it's own!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

And you payed it forward Tay-Lyn! You were quick to welcome me on my first post. Means a lot to me!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't know if you ever saw that movie 'Pay It Forward', it is one of my favorites. Can you imagine if everyone did that? What a great concept. Anyways, you're welcome......I am reminded of something I hear around here, 'you can't keep it unless you give it away'.....I have NO IDEA (yet) what that means.....LOL.....but this reminds me of that!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

-you gotta give it away to keep it-
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I need to add to this thread and say that I've been on here almost all day. I've read far more than I've contributed. I'm only on day two- THIS TIME- but I can honestly say that without this forum and the conversations that I've had here since my last relapse on Saturday night, I wouldn't even be able to say, "it's day two". Thanks to all-
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Tay-Lyn ....

Re: Pay It Forward ....

I got ripped off on a horse contract, was alone in a new town , no resources, no vehicle (uh, other than my horses) no appropriate clothing for anything other than ranch work ... and the guy who owned the ranch pretty much thoguht he'd gotten himself 'free' labor for his ranch.
This woman heard (from a rranch down the road) about it - took me to a few stores got me interview clothes - and I was working an 'outside' job within a week.
By the next weekend - My horses were OFF his place, and the entire town was 'frowning' at his behavior. He moved away within a year. I was there, (at that same job) until I got moved to butte to tend bar here.

I went to her ranch and tried to pay her back the $$$ she'd given me for the clothes with that first paycheck -
she wouldn't take it.

She said - Pay it Forward.

That woman saved my life.

She's not the only one who did,
(saved this life, I'm meaning)
but I've never forgotten that.

THanks for the reminder.

It's a good movie, too.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Barb;
Wow, isn't that a great story! It is incredible how much a little kindness can change someone's life. Your story made me feel good. Thanks for sharing it.