non-alchoholic beer?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

non-alchoholic beer?

Curiously, does anyone know about non-alchololic beer and how it affects recovery. As I have posted in the past, my AH is sober on his own (no AA) but continues to drink NA beer. I have tried to suggest AA and finally said ok..codependence be gone...but with the NA I can't help but think he is still getting the alchohol taste and will eventually make it easier for him to have a "real" one. Any advice?

g
Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
There've been quite a few posts debating NA beer, you might try to search them out.

I tried it quite a few times. I'd quit drinking for a week or two and put away a few cases of NA beer thinking that I'd licked my "drinking problem". The end result was having to urinate like crazy and a voracious appetite for the "real thing" which of course I had to satisfy.

I like to think of NA beer as Denial In A Can. It also contains a small percentage of alcohol so if I think it's OK to drink it in recovery I'm lying to myself. What's the point anyway? I'm an alcoholic, I can't drink safely, so I might as well pick up a soft drink rather than a grim substitute for my former drug of choice.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I like to think of NA beer as Denial In A Can.
:rof
Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NA, I don't think so. 22yrs sober and I drank it for about a month after treatment. didn't get the kick, so why bother. I did like the taste of Strows, but NA didn't do the trick so it was good bye to NA.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It tastes like crap, too.

I am dubious from a mindset pov, personally. Each to their own, though. As was said on other threads, it's about behaviour. If everything else in the garden is rosy, then what's the problem?

Oh, and I have heard it said that if I have one foot in the past and the other in the future, I am pi$$ing all over today. That keeps me on the right track when I start "what if"ing.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic beer is for Non-alcoholics.

IT HAS ALCOHOL IN IT!

.05%

Its just his way of staying attached to alcohol.....he isnt really to get sober....yet.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

My exabf drank O'douls because he "liked the taste of beer"....i don't buy it, i beleive for the most part that alcoholics drink for the effect, not the taste. My ex was white knuckling it, he would still hang out at bars weekly and he was in AA at the time but going through the motions. Looking back i would have had issues with NA beer with the knowledge i have now.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Before my now active AH went into recovery, but pretended to be in recovery, he'd drink NA beer so I wouldn't notice the smell of real beer on him. It was a cover up. After he went into recovery, he drank NA beer and then real beer within 3 days and has been drinking and drunk since.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by karmakoma View Post
It tastes like crap, too.
I had a fleeting thought today that it might be enjoyable to drink one when my GF and I go to Las Vegas for a weekend................

Then I remembered how good a club soda with lime tastes!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the insight!! I know it does no good for me to even wonder on the effects of it...but with 3 children I so want him to stay sober to be the best dad he can be!! It is the codie coming out!! where's my sign??:codiepolice

hugs
g