Notices

My boyfriend drinks A LOT

Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My boyfriend drinks A LOT

Hello,

First off, I am not here for a drinking problem of mine, I do not consider myself to have a drinking problem. Sure I go out and have a couple drinks on Saturday night but I'm here because I'm concerned about my boyfriend.

He is a highly functional drinker. He rarely shows signs of being intoxicated but I can see him polishing off over half a bottle of Makers in one night, sometimes more. He drinks every night and at some points in our relationship he admitted to drinking before work. that has stopped but the drinking has not decreased, only increased as far as I can tell.

He doesn't get mean or aggressive from drinking, usually just ultra sensitive. He takes great care in his appearance and work ethic. He has no classic signs of an alcoholic. I don't believe anyone can drink as much and as often as he does to not develope some addiction.

I've talked to him about it many times and he always agrees that he drinks too much. I've offered to not drink for a while with him but somehow he always changes the subject in a sneaky way that I don't push it. I don't think he believes he has a drinking "problem" because he always says he can stop or not drink but I have yet to see that day in a very long time.

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of a similar experience? He doesn't seem to hide his drinking from me either. I know he knows it bothers me. I had an alcoholic father as did he. I just want him to be healthier because I know it affects our relationship in ways that he does not even see. He is always overly tired, unless I want to go get a drink. he doesn't want to do any physical activities with me or alone.

What to do? Please if anyone knows anything!

Thanks.[/FONT][/FONT]
Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

livin it... welcome...

advice!

alanon!

good wishes

rz
Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Livin' It - you may wish to check out our Friends and Families section - in the meantime, welcome to our recovery community it's good to have you here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I was on the other side of this situation & and my girlfriend ended leaving me, if your not sick of it yet you will be. Have you really pushed the issue yet? My xgirlfriend tried to help me quit, didn't work. I only quit when I really wanted to. My xgirlfriend couldn't make a clean break and this lead to even more fighting (about drinking) & drinking for me and I ended up hating her guts for a long time. Pretty much took our relationship through a warzone. I was with her for almost six years. We are cool now though, civil so to speak.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, I didn't realize there was an Al-anon forum.