Notices

Newcomer is right

Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer is right

I've decided to stop drinking and I found this site while searching for tips and tricks to help me. I wanted to say hello to everyone and I look forward to hopefully succeeding in my journey towards sobriety. I'll paste my first blog post here as a kind of introduction and background. I appreciate any words of encouragement and support.
The first step is the hardest one. I've been a heavy drinker since I was in high school. I started drinking in 1998, give or take. I never really liked smoking marijuana so I drank while my friends got high. I dabbled in harder drugs like ecstacy, LSD (a lot of LSD), psychadelic mushrooms and eventually cocaine. Those never really did it for me, but alcohol became my close, personal friend.

Enemy, morelike.

I drank so often that my tolerance became... impressive to most, unbelievable to a few. I would easily drink upwards of 15 beers in one night and show no signs of intoxication (at least, not that that amount should produce). I was proud of that. How silly.

In October of 2006 I began seeing my current girlfriend. She's a beautiful Taiwanese education major and absolutely brilliant. Through the course of our relationship, I've fallen head-over-heels in love with her and hope to spend my life with her.

However. My drinking began driving a wedge between us. I was truly addicted. I quit smoking (which I'd been doing for 15 years... surprisingly easy, actually) and cut down on my drinking considerably, but I couldn't stop entirely.

I would allow myself two nights of drinking a week. I would count the days. I put a limit of 9 drinks upon myself (through her suggestion), but even then it didn't help. I still always craved alcohol.

I quit drinking for the entire month of January 2008. Not a single drop. After I'd not drank for over a month, I thought I'd proven to myself that I had the power over the alcohol, and not the other way around. I bought a bottle of scotch to sip once in a while. That didn't work.

I can't just have one or two. Once I start drinking, I can't stop unless it's just... gone. I really though I was more powerful than it, but I was wrong.

I'm typing this with a hangover. The first one I've had since before Xmas last year. It's a terrible feeling. I treated my wonderful girlfriend poorly last night... I become someone else when I drink. I don't know what came over me.

Yes, I do. Alcohol.

I've decided to stop drinking all together. My girlfriend doesn't like to drink, so that should help considerably. I poured out the rest of the scotch and am going to do the same with the rest of the alcohol in the house when I get home from work.

I will not let this ruin my life. I've got everything a man could want: an intelligent and beautiful woman, a nice home, a loving family, a car, expensive electronic toys and a good job. I won't let a drink take all that away from me. I won't.

This year (the year of the rat) is going to be a sober year. I though a month would prove that I can not drink, but it didn't.

Strength. Self-control. Support. The three S's of a successful addiction beat-down.

Wish me luck.
*xors
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish you all the luck you need. And you have made a wonderful choice to not drink. Plus you have proven to yourself that you cannot control it. So you got that out of your way.

And it sounds like you have a wonderful life and girlfriend.

Keep coming back
Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there Curio. I'm proud of you. I don't think I've opened a bottle and not seen the bottom in the same day for years. It's a great start. Little suggestion.. (
This is my second time quitting so I can give a little ..) come here often. Post messages and read. It truly helps.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you here with us....
Welcome!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Glad you found us, Welcome
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, replies so quickly! Thank you! I hope this wonderful community at large welcomes me with the open arms you all have so far. It really is a wonderful feeling.

*xors
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Welcome to SR and good luck! The people here are awesome and your story is all too common in the world of drinking. Keeep reading and keep posting.

Congratulations on your decision.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Welcome to SR.