My mom, Bless her heart…

Old 02-04-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My mom, Bless her heart…

I am going to take care of my mom for a few days while my brother and his wife go out of town to celebrate their 30th Anniversary.

I am looking forward to the time with her… but it’s only because I have (more than) a few years of recovery under my belt.

I was thinking about all those “mom things” that my mom says. I shared some at my meeting tonight, and a lot of us laughed and started to share Mom Stories.

I’ve gained quite a lot of weight in the past 8 yrs. My mom means well, but she often points out how much happier “I” would be if I lost some weight. She recently asked me if I had any nice clothes for work… you know “big girls can still look professional if they dress nice.” Yes, I said, they actually sell clothes in the double digit sizes in some stores!

Every time I think about that I laugh so hard. It’s just her being her. I don’t take it personally, but there was a time when I would have. She even asked if I still had a coat she had given me a number of years ago saying she might like it back since I wouldn’t be able to wear it anymore.

My mom, bless her heart… she would die a thousand deaths if she knew how those things sounded. She loves me so much, and I know she would never hurt me. She only wants the best for me.

Got any mom stories you want to share? I could really use the laugh! I wonder what stories my sons would tell on me.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

When my dad was in the hospital after a heart attack, I flew up to be with them. One night when we left the hospital, I drove my Dad's car, a 5 speed (My Mom drove it to the hospital and had been using it) with my mom as a passenger. Although they had driven manuals on and off through the years, I think this was their first 5 speed.

I was following my sister to a restaurant and had the car in 5th gear. My mom kept telling me I needed to shift from 3rd to 4th. No, mom, I'm in 5th. She insisted the car did not have 5 gears and I needed to shift to 4th...This went back and forth for a few minutes until finally I couldn't take it any more...I down shifted from 5th to 3rd...darn near sent her through the window and said...This is 3rd...I was in 5th. She gave me one of those "all right, fine" responses that is so laiden with that tone to make me feel guilty...And oh, I did...she just got the best of me; I'm lucky I didn't give her whiplash! When we got to the restaurant, I told my sister it was her turn to have mom as passenger. :rof
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....
When I offered to take her flying with me ...
a newly certified piolet
Mom gasped ....
" OMG No! you never learned to properly park!"
Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks Cats, this is more of a memory than a cute story but it's what came to mind and it helped me today to remember my mom this way. She's been gone since 1991.

After I had just given birth to my first child, I called my mom from my hospital bed, she lived on the other side of the state. She was shocked when I told her that I had given birth just a half hour before calling her.

When I told her I was sitting up in bed with my legs crossed and breastfeeding my new baby girl, I could hear her giggle and sigh as she told me how it was in 'her day' and all about being confined to bed and how after one week ( ! ) she was finally allowed to dangle her feet off the edge of the mattress.

I had her cracking up as I told her about fixing my hair while in labor, before going to the hospital (hey I was 19). She really lost it when I told her the first thing I did once in my room was sneak out and trek down the hall to find a scale and see how much I weighed after having the kid! She just couldn't imagine the natural childbirth experience and had no recollection of her children being born.

Mom was also very worried about the baby not having a 'belly-band' to make sure she would have a cute 'innie' instead of an 'outie'....heaven forbid her grandchild would have an ugly button!!! I never knew they used to do that to babies!!! I guess it explains my 'innie' lol. So that was our mother/daughter post birth bonding experience.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks. These make me smile. I've actually had the occasional moment when I have opened my mouth and my mother came out.... OH MY GAWD I've become my mother!

LOL
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((Cats))))

I also have talked and heard my mom more than a few times. If I ever doubted it, her best friend and my mom's family, set me straight and remind me of how much I'm like my mom.

When mom would tell me something I obviously disagreed with or didn't want to hear, I would apparently show it in my expression because she would say "don't look at me in that tone of voice!" Usually, preceded by "Amy Lynn"...then I knew I was in trouble.

I used the same line on my boss the other day when he rolled his eyes at me. He had to think about it, then cracked up laughing.

Thanks for this thread. Mom died 16 years ago, but she's never far from my heart or my thoughts.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
I've actually had the occasional moment when I have opened my mouth and my mother came out.... OH MY GAWD I've become my mother! LOL
Me too! And I so swore I would NEVER tell my kid that something they wanted wasn't 'practical'........:rof
Old 02-05-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I also swore I would never use the phrase "Because I said so!"

but I did. And I was horrified when it happened, but it was the ONLY possible response.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

How about..."I'll give you something to cry about?" I don't think I ever said it, but I came darn close (I think I said "you're gonna crack your head open" though)
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My mother's been gone for 10 years now and was probably one of the sweetest ladies that ever walked this earth. She was a hat and gloves kinda person, well mannered always, yet kind, modest and strong in a quiet sort of way. Widowed young with 3 kids to raise, she worked, raised us, volunteered at the church and played bridge every second Thursday night with the same ladies for over 40 years. A Canadian "Steel Magnolia" of sorts.

That said, she has possessed my body. She started with my neck, I know it's hers because I'm too young to have a need for scarves and turtle necks. She is trying to sneak into my arms too, they just aren't as firm as they used to be and I always teased her about hers, so I know she's snickering in an unlady like way as she sneaks her arms into my body.

Thing is, she's taken over my mind, or at least she is trying. I catch myself saying things like "mind you" and "I'll bet you dollars to donuts" and the clincher is "if I could SEE I could FIND my glasses".

I'm doomed, I tell ya, it's just no use fighting her. She always said that one day she'd make a lady out of me...I just didn't know she'd do it by possessing my body.

Hugs
Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Aw, love these mom stories.

My mom is the just so precious and has the cutest wit about her. When I was a teenager my boyfriend came to my house. Now we weren't getting along so well (probably because I was flirting with 14 other guys while supposedly going with him), so when I opened the door he didn't look too happy with me. I tried to get rid of him, but he wouldn't leave. Then he said, "I want to talk to you mother." I told him to hold on a minute and I'd go get her. I told her the bf wanted to talk to her. She ran for the bathroom, jumped in the tub, standing there, fully dressed, and said, "Tell him I'm in the tub." Bless her heart, she wasn't going to lie. :-)

This past Christmas I was home. She's 81 now and experiencing some health problems. She was supposed to be eating a bland diet, but I caught her buttering her biscuit. I said, "Mama, you're not supposed to be putting butter on that biscuit." She looked at me and said, "When are you going home?" Mr. Hangin' told her if she didn't behave, he was going to make me stay longer.

My mom is a doll and I'm so blessed to have her. She's put up with a lot from me and I think she deserves a medal!

Enjoy the time with your mom, Cats. I'm so glad you have a program that has taught you to "take what you like and leave the rest"...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't have a mom story but a mother in law one and grandmother in law one too. Both of these ladies were more of a mom and grandmom to me than my own were.
I was driving mom on a 4 lane highway taking her to see grandmom, and she started to complain about the cars going pass us on the right hand side, she said she wants to drive down the middle of the lanes since no one should pass on the right. Had to explain to her that it was legal when each side of the road had 2 lanes. She would drive in the left lane going 30mph when the speed limit was 50 and couldn't figure out why everyone was mad at her. Had to tell her she should be in the right hand lane since it was for slower drivers.
Grandmom lived to be 103 yo, and after my ex and I divorced I stayed in contact with her she was my grandmom for 20 years. Well for her 100th birthday I sent her 2 dozens pastel color roses, the family had a party for her and my kids went. Well my ex's new wife went and grandmom would never say her name she called her girl. Ex's new wife said to grandmom the roses are really beautiful, the rest of family knew I sent them, well grandmom said "Girl, my Pammy sent them to me, she never forgets me and really loves me, Girl" she want on to say some really sweet things about me to her,and my ex could not stand that Grandmom still loved me.
If someone went on her property and dropped trash, she would get really upset. She came to the US from Italy and spoke perfect English until she got mad, than and only than did she start to speak in Italian and all the curse words she never spoke came out. It was so funny to hear these things coming out of her mouth. She was such a lady so sweet and gentle until she really got mad. One time someone went into her garage, that was in her back yard, well she went out with her broom and cursing in Italian chasing this guy from her garage, her neighbor was outside and went after the man, caught him, and grandmom called the police. She told the cops what she did and they could not keep a straight face. The man they arrested said he figured it was an old bat that lived there and couldn't do anything to hurt him, well grandmom still had the broom in her hand, and turned around and hit the man full force in the head. The police officer told her she could not do that again, so she told him to get the man off her property or she would. The cops told the family they could not stop laughing on the way to the station and the other cops started to laugh they were crying. The poor man said he will never go after something that belonged to an old person again since they could be meaner than the younger ones.
Thank you for letting me share these memories of these two wonderful woman.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Oh gosh...

My mother is a person who frequently, and unexpectedly passes gas.

I remember years ago, my older sister had a fella come pick her up for a date, and meet my parents. My mother proceeded to ask him if he wanted a BLT sandwich, and she farted on saying the bacon part, and tried to pawn the cause of her fart on the dog!

I thought my sister would keel over and die.

By the way, my mom is 89 now, and still farting her way through life.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

After a year or so of Alanon, my Mom asked me how I was doing...I replied:

"Taking it one day at a time"

and her reply, dead serious:

"Oh come on, you can do better than that!"

If only I could....
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is a story of my grandma. She was always laughing YET you still had to be a lady around her. No swearing, no sleeping in same bed if not married, mind your manners.

Well one day while driving (probably shouldnt have been) she cut some young kid off. Well he proceeded to call her the B word. My grandma looked at her husband and ask if he was gonna do something. Meanwhile the kids still cursing my grandma. Well My grandma got out of her car, went to the kids car and clocked him right in the face and chipped his tooth. The kid called the cops and tried to press charges on my grandma, she had to be 80 the cops told the kid he should respect his elder. I could just see my grandma sticking her tongue out and walking away.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I invited a friend to my home and mom told her she looked awful...Had she been sick...I said"Mom!!!" Of course she said I am just worried about her! I could have crawled under the table near by...My friends face was a face of shock...LOL I will never forget that as long as I live...Mom isn't usually like that either.
You got to LOVE'EM!!!
I am getting more and more like my mom everyday too HUMMMM
Prayers and Hugs
Machele
Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My Grandmother and Aunt came into town once a rented a hotel room so the could play bingo, I was running late but I staopped by to see then for a sec, to say hey and my aunt opened the door and said "Why Billie Ruth, she doesn't look as big as a house" my grand mother said "Turn side ways hun, show her your butt" I could have died, I only weight 120lb at 5'4"