Notices

two weeks dry- bad meeting - want to drink

Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

two weeks dry- bad meeting - want to drink

Now I get how hard it is to refrain from booze. I am finishing up a stresful day at work ending with a so-so meeting with my boss and a huge reminder of how I screwed my life up with a conversation with a co-worker.

I am working 24/7 to get back on track. I just wanted to drink. I guess to forget my problems. But I kept used a technique from my quit smoking days which is "drinking doesn't make anything better - in fact only worse".

Okay that sounds right, but I still want to drink and use.
Does this every go away?

Better and better every second.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Each day is a new day--my friend. My last relapse was over one drink because I got angry at work--I drank on my lunch break. I had "had enough" so to speak, of all the so-called crap that was being dumped on me that day. I do regret it now, but in that moment---I really thought I needed that drink to be able to function for the rest of the work day. I didn't need to drink--i know that now>I just let old mindsets creep in and take over. Do whatever it takes to not pick-up that first drink! Right now--I'm either on day 14-15 myself. You don't have to drink over anybody else. You will only be hurting yourself.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks you angelina! Good job on day 14/15. I dont' want to drink, I just want to make belive that my problems don't exist.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dont' want to drink, I just want to make belive that my problems don't exist.
you're onto something there StandFast - just knowing that is a great help I find...to me
anyway.

well done, and keep it up
D
Old 02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get better.

I learned so much about patience when I first stopped drinking - I had to. I wanted everything fixed right now, today and of course, it just doesn't work like that. Take the opportunity to learn the lesson of patience. You'll get through this.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I immersed myself into the AA program.

There's a saying in my group, probably in a lot of groups we all stand together or, we stagger alone.

I did that 84 hour work week might have been the straw that broke the camels back. Might back off a little on the work and attend meetings.

We have to retrain our minds from the thought of a drink.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

yeah, this is an annoying problem even when one knows that drinking will not help. in rehab they call this "drinking at something" or to "drink at someone" .....a good way to avoid the drink is to do something that will tire you out, like running or jumping on the bike and just pedaling as hard as possible (howabout the punching bag!), if you can't do it at that moment 10 to 20 deep breaths does well too...exercise is key...I hope your problems @ work get better ...you know its impossible to solve em when drinking- be positive & stay casual.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love that " stay casual'.

Thanks everyone. Well 30/60 minutes latter, I am still sober. I am working out 3 / 4 times per week for the last year. But I am ready to step it up. I work out mostly in the morning but i will start going a couple of evenings on top. My. mind gets tired at night but now I have to burn off my frustratio and negative energy.

One more week without drinking means to me a chance to turn things around, save my life, and save a boat load of money, time, and self respect.

Thinking about it again, that first drink looks as evil as the last to me right now.

Thanks everyone.

Better and better

"I met the enemy and it is myself" .
Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hour to Hour

Sometimes it is hour to hour. Delay the action to get to a drink. I found that drinking was a way to cope and escape from my frustration. You sound like a busy guy and its probably hard to turn it all off and relax. I know it was for me. I had to change my routine and get through the evenings in the beginning because that was my usual drinking time. A bad day at work was a big trigger. I was tired of being good. I had to fight off the urge to go back and today is 90 days sober for me. As for saving money. I have paid off 2500 in debt and lost weight going from 143 to 129 during this time. All good things. Also learning healthier coping strategies for those day to day stressors. Sober is better!