Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all! This is a big thing for me to do since I am very stubborn in nature.
I have a problem with alcohol and it is not extremely severe, but it is severe enough to cause problems in my life and marraige.
My wife is very against me drinking because I have a problem with moderation. When I drink, I drink to get buzzed and drunk, not just to have one. I got an OWI last year and stayed sober for six months after that, but then one night I got the itch and its been off and on again since then.
I can go a week or two without drinking, but then I will drink for five days in a row and the fifth day will be a real bad drunk night which are the ones that cause problems in the marraige. Obviously I am not the same person when I drink and my wife hates the person I am when I drink too much.

After the fifth night I will then decide I don't want to drink anymore and stop for a week only to start again. I'm not sure what I would be classified as, but I know I have a problem and wanted to talk about it.

I am a 27 year old male, I work out 5 times a week. I have run 3 26.2 mile marathons and am very active, although 6'2" 220lbs. I have a good build, but a little on the heavy side.

I welcome your thoughts and advice into my perspective because obviously what I have been doing has not gotten the job done.
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I don't know if you're an alcoholic or not, but I can tell you that alcoholics come in all shapes and sizes and walks of life. (I know I was shocked to realize that I had become an alcoholic). If drinking is causing problems in your life and you want to stay sober, you have come to the right place.

Stopping drinking is the beginning of the journey. What happens after that is a lifelong learning process of recovery.

Take a look around and read and learn.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, iggi. SR is a great place to start your journey to sobriety. Keep posting! Jomey
Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome iggi.

Do you want to stop drinking? It sounds like what you are doing is binge drinking. I used to binge and then go a week or 2 without and then binge again, then I started drinking everyday and when my body couldn't take that anymore I went back to binging. That process happened over years.

I personally think binge drinking could be taken as a warning sign of worse things to come but they might not be if you can control it.
If drinking is causing problems in your life then, obviously it would be wise to do something about it.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome iggi! Glad you are here! Hang around awhile & keep posting!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggi View Post
I work out 5 times a week. I have run 3 26.2 mile marathons and am very active, although 6'2" 220lbs. I have a good build, but a little on the heavy side.
Hi Iggy -- I'm also a newcomer to this forum. One thing I learned when I started reading here is that it is not at all uncommon to be very fit and healthy in some areas of life, and yet still have a drinking problem. I was struck by your words, above, because for quite a while I thought I couldn't possibly have a problem because I work out regularly, take vitamins, etc. Turns out I was wrong.

I wish you the best,

Trakin
Old 02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Hi and welcome iggi.

Do you want to stop drinking?
Like my wife, I do not like myself when I drink. I also hate the mornings after a "binge drink". Also, a binge drink is usually accompanied by a "binge eating night". So all in all I try to treat my body like a temple and this obviously is not the best way to do that. Seriously though, I care more about my wife then I do about my drinking. So stopping is great, but I'm not sure how to handle it once the issue subsides and I get the urge to drink or "binge" again.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

just stop for the day and worry about tommorrow tomorrow. keep it in the day
Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us iggi, keep reading and posting. The answers will come.