Notices

Coping with cravings

Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coping with cravings

What helps you when you encounter a craving for a drink or drug?

Please feel free to share - together, we can do anything!

I had a major craving on Saturday night - and no wonder. I met my bf's family, and they were all drinking heavily. I excused myself, went to the bathroom, and said a prayer, asking for strength. I also did some deep breathing, my boyfriend didn't drink either, and it turned out to be a wonderful night. Although I'm glad to have gotten through it sober, I won't put myself into a situation like that anytime soon. My sobriety is just too important to me.

So - what helps you?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great thread Rowan!

I have 'walked away' for a moment or more, too. It really helps me to get myself back in balance.

I went through an uncomfortable experience on the weekend. We were invited out for dinner by our real estate agent and her husband to thank us for using her,and she invited another couple (who introduced her to us). She brought up the 'What do you want - white or red?' the moment we sat down. Husband and I both politely declined and said we'd order Diet Coke, thanks. This wasn't acceptable and she and her husband both jumped on us. I was at the point where I was one second away from walking out of the restaurant. Then she said "But, you can't drink Diet Coke, we're celebrating" and my husband said "Just watch me". Boy did she stop talking!

I have found that stepping into the washroom for a moment alone works really well for me. It brings me back to reality.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Well I am far enough away and have done some recovery that the craving is no longer there thank god!

But....

I do remember what it was like in early recovery! I can still remember it as if it was yesterday.....

I would do whatever I had to....

Go to a meeting....

Read something.....

Coming here and talking it out....

Writing what I am doing....

Anything to take my mind off of it....

I remember feeding the urge once and I would never do that again....

I had to actually call someone to come over because I found myself in a spot that I didn't want to be in!

But today I don't have cravings anymore. I do have the thoughts once in a while...

I am sure that if I would feed those thoughts that they would than turn into a craving no matter how long I've been clean.

I try not to let it get that far.

Nice topic!!~!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting alone and deep breathing helps me.

If it is a prologed craving, I eat!

(KFC still works best )
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I kinda look at cravings for alcohol the same way I look at the cravings for chewing tobacco. The urge always passes within 5 minutes or so, so it's just a matter of riding out the discomfort. Spending a few minutes on SR helps, meetings are always a relief, and I can always walk away from a slippery situation.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just watch me! LOL!

Classic!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This past weekend I was craving really bad the whole weekend. I kept talking it out, coming here, reaching out to others in recovery, PRAYING, and basically anything to keep my mind occupied. I also kept remembering to breathe to bring my mind back into focus. I kept reminding myself that I'm getting healthier each day I stay sober. I kept doing all these things continually and I made it through the weekend.

Here it is Monday and no cravings at all right now. If I had drank this past weekend, I'd still be craving more right now and the craving would be stronger. I stayed sober so now I'm stronger!

They pass if you let them... they really do.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am still trying to figure out what is the best way to get over them everytime.
Well.No..Let me say it better. Faster everytime. Because eventually I do get over it.
Mostly for mild ones it doesnt take much I just forget about them.
But for the ones that seem like they just wont go away and linger on and on...I try to do something with myself. ANything. Walk somewhere...I will even pace around if I have to. I like coming to my aunts house. ALways people here and kids to distract me.
The river is right down the road. I think since I cant get to a beach like I use to in Florida to get peace of mind. I am going to try the river when it gets warmer.

Good job Rowan..
Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Prayer, yoga, doing something for someone else....even the littlest thing...those things always help me to recenter and wait for the crest of the crave-wave to crash by.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it was Miss C. here who said recently, 'move a muscle, change a thought'. Makes sense-basically get busy doing something else.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Breathing... as well as an honest personal inventory of the reasons why NOT drinking is better than giving in to the craving.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Chocolate (anything) still works for me!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with Gyps...'play the tape through'...did I get that right ?
oh and breathing is good...essential even :rof

boom tish
D
Old 02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Protein and Complex Carbs.....peanut butter on whole wheat crackers.....works well.
Eat a pickle.
Go for a shower, a bath, a run, a yelling session in your pillow, come here and connect with others, reach out and help someone else.
Play the tape of your last worst drunk, especially including the worst parts.
Know that this too shall pass.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
where the light is

Thanks, Rowan

I start each day by focusing my thoughts on what I have to do to stay sober. I pray to my Creator for the strength to get through the day without a drink & to take care of me if the situation becomes unbearable. Every time I have found myself in a serious situation, something happens to get rid of or make the craving bearable - a friend shows up, someone phones me, a strong memory comes to me.

When I am going into a tough environment, I remind myself why I quit drinking (positives & negatives), reserve the right to leave at any time (no explanation required), and focus on not taking that first drink (makes it more manageable for me, rather than focusing on staying sober). I also think ahead. Would I rather wake up guilt free & proud of myself or wake up back in my own hell?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

So far I guess I've been lucky...the cravings only last 5-10 minutes and I do some breathing, say a prayer, and take a short mental break from whatever I was doing.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I drink a cup of hot, very sweet tea w/a big piece of chocolate. Works everytime except obviously cannot be done in certain situations.

jane
Old 02-05-2008, 03:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hey row, cuz i'm me... i got'a ask...

was it a real craving, or a long thought?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm with Gyps...'play the tape through'...did I get that right ?
oh and breathing is good...essential even

boom tish
D
Sort of Dee . What I was getting at was thinking about all the good things I do and enjoy now that I'm not drinking, or hungover as opposed to catastrophic thinking in the other direction.

I prefer to focus on postive things now and have stopped beating myself up over the past.

I suppose NOT breathing will get you through a craving too .

Of course none of these things can put a dent in a Ben & Jerry's craving.

boom tish :bounce
Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
hey row, cuz i'm me... i got'a ask...

was it a real craving, or a long thought?

It wasn't a real craving, not at all. But everyone was drinking these fancy drinks and imported beer and talking about how good they tasted and they were wealthy and happy and getting all loose and suddenly I wanted one. Not a craving, more like a thought. But besides taking a time-out for myself, I ratted myself out to them. They honed in on me when they saw my mineral water and asked if I didn't drink at all - I replied truthfully that I did not, and that I used to drink A LOT, but that I gave it up when it became problematic. And it was fine! No one tossed me out the house or anything - in fact, they invited me back!! LOL that wouldn't have happened if I picked up that drink.