Al-Anon vs Nar-Anon

Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trying to get out of God's way

Al-Anon vs Nar-Anon

Do you think one of these programs would be better suited to my situation than the other? My son is an addict, and he does drink as well, but I'm not really sure that I would label him as an alcoholic...are the 2 programs real similar? We have an Al-Anon meeting place about 2 minutes from my house, it's further to the Nar-Anon, but not a problem. Maybe I will just check them both out, but was wondering how similar they are if anyone has experience with both...

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

They are almost identical and in the end neither program is about substance of choice, they are about us learning to live life on life's terms.

Good idea to try them both, even two meetings of the same group can be different and one may feel more comfortable to you than the other.

Lots of people here use Alanon because it's the only meeting available to them. My home fellowship when I began recovery and for about 10 years thereafter was CoDA (Codependents Anonymous) another great program but sadly, not that many of them compared to Alanon and Naranon.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hugs
Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trying to get out of God's way

They are almost identical and in the end neither program is about substance of choice, they are about us learning to live life on life's terms.

Very good point Ann...sometimes I forget that!! Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((LauraK)))))))

Yep! What Ann said. lol
I just wanted to welcome you. I don't think we've met.
I'm Linda. My 26 yo son is the addict in my life.
At the moment, he's not using illegal drugs, but seeing
a psychiatrist and counselor for bi-polar therapy.
Sending prayers up for you and your son.
I pray he hits his rock bottom and chooses a good path of recovery.
Stick around, read around, and keep coming back.
We're here with lots o' support, caring, and sharing.
Hugs from one mom to another,
Linda
Old 02-01-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR.
I found Alanon to be a good fit for me especially since I can find at least two or three to choose from on any given day. I've also found it very helpful to attend open AA and NA meetings from time to time. There's no reason not to attend either Alanon, Naranon or both.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to our forum. My husband is a recoverying addict/alcoholic. Also, I am a recovering alcoholic.

I've gone to Alanon and Naranon. Basically, they are so similar. In each, the focus is on our recovery. I did find that the people that I turn to one on one tend to be people that share the common dominator of loving an addict vs. an alcoholic. That was earlier on in my recovery though. Alanon has a lot more meetings and generally each meeting will have some good long term recovery. In my Naranon group, we frequently had a hard time of finding sponsors because so many of us were new and had not worked the steps. I've defnitely benefited from both programs. It all boils down to recovery.

I'd also recommend going to some open AA/NA meetings. It really helps to see the whole picture. I used to go to Naranon meeting that adjoined to the classroom where NA was meeting. I was always struck by the laughter that I heard coming from their room and the tears that were cried in ours. It helped me to go so some of their meetings to understand what was up with that!

The main thing is to find some face to face meetings that work for you. As they say - it works if you work it.

Looking foward to seeing more of you! Donna
Old 02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Doesn't matter which one, just .....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

(Can you tell I love my meetings? )
Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yup...what everyone said. I have gone to both and the main reason I made Naranon my home group was the people at the particular meeting...It was just a perfect fit and many, many meetings later it still is. I never imagined becoming such good close friends with so many people who less than 2 years ago were strangers.
Open NA and AA meetings are wonderful too...They helped me find hope and also more understanding of addiction. Hugs
Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

It really depends which group of people you identify with the most that will make you want to keep going back.
In their literature you can substitute- in your mind - the word drugs for the word alcohol and vice versa.
It works when you stick around and work the program and make relationships in the group regardless of which mtg. you attend.
Sorry that your son has addiction. So does my son. There are quite a few moms here at this forum. I hope you stick around here and give and get the support, wisdom and share your journey with us.