Notices

So how did I end up here anyway?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

So how did I end up here anyway?

First...thank goodness I did. I feel I can relate to so many of the stories that I know I'm not alone in the things I feel during the quitting process.

I'm here because *many* years ago (I'm 53 now), I had two bottles of beer with my friends one night in the local park. I got so sick that I don't believe I ever tried another one, but I did, and before too long my friends and I were spending every spare minute drinking beer no matter what activity we were doing.

Eventually it became just a part of life. Happy? Have a few beers. Unhappy or stressed? Have a few beers. Bored? Have a few beers. Can't sleep? Have a few beers.

For 37 years I became "Joe 6-pack", drinking after work, with maybe 12 or so on a weekend or holiday. I travel a few times a month for business and every flight started with two bloody marys and then my first priority on the way to the hotel after landing was to find a place to buy beer to drink in the room.

Last spring I had some surgery and lost my job at the same time. For six months rather than spend time with my wife and daughter, I sat alone in my garage office and drank 12-18 beers a day bored, feeling sorry for myself, and waiting for job offers in my email inbox.

Last Fall I finally got what seemed like a dream job...when not traveling I got to spend the other half of my time working at home. That was great until the first time I got a really stressful assignment and felt like I had to drink a few beers to calm down to do the work. Of course, the more boring days offered me the same excuse. I am doing a better job for them now than ever since I quit drinking!

By mid-December it had gotten so bad that I couldn't sleep through a whole night without getting up for a few beers to put me back to sleep.

The day after Christmas I went to my doctor, was honest with him about the seriousness of my drinking and asked for help. He gave me some meds to get me through the detox and made me come back to his office every day for a week while I went through it. I am now taking Campral and their website seriously recommends some type of support group...that's how I found SR...you're my support when I need it and I can offer my support when I have something to add.

So, that's how I ended up here...because I was foolish enough to drink two beers and spend the next 37 years convincing myself that I didn't have a problem. I do have a problem, and it's great to know there are so many people happy to help me work through it. I was afraid. It's still pretty scary.

Thanks for being here and having the patience to read this huge post. You people inspire me!

Last edited by Goodnfast; 01-28-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to have you here. Stay strong
Old 01-29-2008, 01:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Goodnfast, we are good at finding any excuse to drink aren't we-best wishes.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....SR is an interesting and vital
supplement to my face to face recovery.

Glad you are also finding it useful.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 01-29-2008, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is amazing! Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you found your way here.

Keep coming back!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

So glad you found us, Keep posting...:ghug2
Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

I know I said it in the other thread, but welcome Goodnfast, you're in a great place.

Thanks for sharing your story, isn't it great to know you aren't alone?

keep posting, we're all in this together,

ndz