Notices

One Week Today

Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Red Eyes on Orange Horizons

One Week Today

Back to work I went yesterday, scared and sore. It was the longest day ever as my body longed for a break, to sit down and rest these achy bones. Home I came, to my girlfriend waiting for me. A friend was here, drinking a beer, I was fine with that, I'm not a beer drinker, and I was glad to have the distraction. Last night, I was fine, however, she was with me, it is so much harder when I come home to an empty house when she is working and have to do it all on my own. The quiet, my thoughts, alone, however will I make it through, I wonder. One week ago today, is when I had my accident, and have not drank since. Tonight, I think is the hardest it has been so far. Right now all I want is a glass of wine, just one glass of wine, I have to keep forcing myself to look at my healing eye to convince me that one glass of wine will only turn into one more and hurt me. Still trying, that bottle under the counter, perhaps I should have gotten rid of. I didn't even realize it was there until recently and I thought I would just forget about it. But my mind wanders, keeps going, I am playing war with myself and I'm not quite sure who's winning.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Get rid of the bottle--you may have reservations about drinking without realizing it. It is hard to avoid temptation when it right there within reach. Again--get rid of the bottle.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aret: Take it from me. If you are trying to quit for whatever reason, GET RID OF ALL OF THE ALCOHOL! The temptation is way to great, alcohol eventually wins the battle EVERY time.

I'm on my 10th day today after several attempts at "stopping" and anytime I have had alcohol in the house, whether my choice of drink or not, it has eventually led to my relapse. I recently had 60 days and fell off the wagon. Now I'm starting back on the road and feeling pretty good. But, I also know that all it will take is one temptation at a weak moment and I could be a gonner.

Keep posting. It is a good tool for recovery. Welcome to SR. Try the 2 week and under thread for more support.

Take care and I hope you heal quickly.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Aret, that's great that you've made a week. You're doing well in the war. But keeping that bottle of wine is just ammo for the enemy.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Aret:

Please get rid of it friend! The day may come when you'll really crave a glass of wine. If it's right there in the room it's so easy to mess up. If you have to get in your car and drive somewhere to get one it gives you plenty of time to talk yourself out of it instead.

Keep going!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

aret-im in day 3 now and yesterday i went around my house and got rid of EVERY drop i posessed mate-it was hard to do-i've drunk for 15-20 years virtually every day-but the feeling of relief when i did was surreal-it was like i was closing the door on a VERY ugly chapter of my life-do the same because for while its close to hand its always going to be a temptation-you'll aso get a sense of "i beat you-you never beat me" and believe me-thats a nice feeling-well done on the week as well-i hope i'm still going in 4 days-I WILL BE !!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Aret. I am with the others. Having it in the house is no good. At first when I was quitting, the time to go and get it was just enough time for me to lose the craving and think through what would happen after "just one". You need that time to come to SR instead of picking up. We are powerless against the first drink.

If it's still there tomorrow, then you will know how cunning baffling and powerful this disease is. Get mad at the disease. Give yourself a chance and go for keeping distance from the bottle right now.

All the best,

Steph
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey ARET - if you haven't already been convinced lol, GET RID OF THE WINE!!!
Chuck it down the sink........as Pilgrim says 'Get Mad at the disease'. Show it who's boss, you can do it, you ARE doing it, keep going ARET

Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WTG on your sober time keep on you're doing great.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Whenever I feel like drinking I come here instead. I agree, dump the wine. There is a ton of alcohol in my house that I'd love to get rid of, but there is another alcoholic here (my husband) who continues to drink. It kills me because the temptation is in front of me 24 hours a day.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is finally no alcohol in my house, I feel better that the temptation isn't right in front of me, but difficult it is to keep it off of my mind. I thought I will feel more accomplished than this, but I am scared, scared that I can't do this, or that I don't know how long I can last. Every day leaving work is a test, because in my mind I hear, should I stop at the store or should I just go home? Needless to say I have been taking the route that doesn't pass the store. I don't know if I'm strong enough to pass it up, every night. Thank you to everyone for your support, and it turns out you were right. The temptation in the house was a terrible mistake
Old 02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Aret,

I found that I wasn't able to stay stopped on my own. What I did was, I went to an AA meeting. Now I don't have to do this on my own anymore. Alcohol had power over me and my will wasn't enough to stop after I had started to drink or stay stopped when I wanted to not drink. With my programme, I don't have to struggle every day with the desire to drink.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

wrg on your sober time
Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Aret,

Good for you for changing your behaviors! No big deal driving a little farther to avoid the packy!

After I got through the physical withdrawals, I had to do something about the mental ones..it took me a while but I went to a meeting, and honestly, from there on in it got a lot easier for me to fight the battle.

big hugs,

Karen
Old 02-01-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I dumped my last bottle of beer out the day i got out of jail even though i have had it for a year for show..I know i would have drank it by now if i hadn't have done that..My mother has some here but it's wine cooler things and i thank god i hate those

Be stronge! I am trying very hard to tonight..You are not alone! I have no money but i am tempting to walk to the store to get someone to buy me some..Posting on here is helping that..Keep posting too!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool Thank you

Thank you Manda, yes it has been difficult, every time I go to the grocery store it is hard for me to not buy a bottle of wine, and it is even harder being a server and having it in my hand constantly. Your strength is inspiring.