Notices

The Grocery Store was a test

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Red Eyes on Orange Horizons

The Grocery Store was a test

Last day before I go back to work. My wife, has been taking amazingly good care of me and has been so supportive. She had to go back to work. I wanted to do something nice for her. I know that I tell her everyday, but I wanted to know how much her and her love and support are appreciated. So I went to the store so that I could have something cooked for her when she arrives home from work. Everything was fine, aside from the fact that I was trying the entire time to hide my black eye, but then I passed the wine isles, hard it was for me to just pass. Normally that was my first stop, even if I wasn't at the store for wine, or had some at home, even, I thought I am here, I might as well get it while it's convenient because I will need it eventually anyways. Tonight, I passed, wishing that I could still have it, have it in moderation even though I know that I can't. I felt myself thinking, if I hadn't had this accident I would still be able to drink, because no one would think it was a problem. And then...back to reality, it is a problem and the accident happened for a reason. I blinked my black eye, felt the lump above it, and kept walking.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations...!

I have a half bottle of malbec sitting on my counter...
I'm only on Day 5 and although several have told me to get RID of it, still it's there...

I keep saying that if I cannot do it WITH it there, I don't believe I would do it without it sitting there... I don't know... Maybe that's denial? A back-up? I just know that right now it's sitting there...

Congratulations again on walking by that aisle... and for doing SUCH a wonderful thing for your wife......

Peace~
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Red Eyes on Orange Horizons

Congratulations

Congratulations to you also! I know it is hard. There is beer in my fridge right now, but I have no desire to drink it, maybe it is because I am not a beer drinker at all, but I suspect if I wanted the buzz bad enough I would bust it out. I think if there were a bottle of wine on my counter now, I would have a hard time not walking into the kitchen and having what I would think would be one harmless glass, although deep down I know that it would be much more and it's repercussions would be terrible. If you can do it with it there, good for you, that is wonderful! Everyone is different and everyone has different ways of dealing with things. No one can tell you what is right for you. I am trying to stay strong the best way I know how and I am sure you are doing the same. Congratulations to you.

Stay strong!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you again...

Here is the link to your first post
I sent it to you in a PM

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-hanging.html

I also explained that
I moved it out into a new thred
so others could better see it.

Blessings to you and your wife
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

heehee - I remember that ... the fastest cart in the store when I'd have to go to that aisle .. because the wine was on one side .. ladn the bottled water was on the other.

zoom ... grab ... gone.

I can tell ya - it gets easier. I don't even noticed the wine now.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know the feeling, Aret. All those bottles... what harm could one do?

I'm at the point where my answer is: A lot of harm. I get a tense feeling in my chest, and like you, I just push the cart on by.

I'm on day 21. I can tell you that it gets easier the longer you go. We're proud of you for leaving that aisle behind.