Notices

Hello Everyone New to this...

Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone New to this...

Hi I am new to this. Kind of confused. lol I have always been a drinker. Hard liquor. Never developed a taste for beer. It always seemed to make me feel bloated. I have been drinking every since I was 16 y/o. I am now 35. I am kind of scared because I can't imagine having a life without liquor. i am scared because all my relationships and friendships have always been centered around liquor. I Know I do not want this. I do Live performances at clubs and somtimes I don't even drink but alot of the times I do. I have even missed work many times in the past because I was hung over. I may not drink everyday but when I do I somtimes binge. I don't have liquor at my house but I go out and can drink people to the floor. I honestly do not want to live like that or be like that. Not anymore. I need to know what are the alternatives to drinking and socializing in a place where there will be liquor?

Just had to get that off my chest. All my freinds drink and so I can't really talk to them about it.

Event Horizon
Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Event Horizon,

I think you'll like it here.

I'm on day 5, so by far not an xpert.

In the past few days though, I've been doing the same thing... trying to occupy my time...

Right now, for me, it's hanging around this board a lot, ... and going to a meeting. Mind you, I've only hit two, but both were in lieu of drinking... and a lot better place to be. When the meetings were over I felt better, rather than worse as I usually do after drinking..

Pray and stay... Have you ever tried a meeting? Thanks for being here...
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you have decided to change your life and begin recovery.

I have found lots of things to do since I stopped drinking. How about meeting your friends at a coffee shop? There are coffee shops on every corner and they're a good place to get together. For me, recovery meant making some big changes in my life and it was definitely worth it.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Welcome Event Horizon!

Your situation sound very similar to mine. I too have only been around here for a short time, but it's been a great start for me. Many wise folks here.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feed back!

I ran across this site quite by accident nd thought it would be an excellent first step towards comming to some serious conclusions I have obviously put on hold. The next step is going to be meetings for me. I think I am a bit leary about that because I find it hard to admit I have a problem. But if I didn't, why would I need to why is there so much fear, guilt and shame surrounding my drinking? Theres definitely an issue and i want to tackle it before It gets worse. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys. You rock!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

EH - I'm impressssssed....

I went into my first meeting (so long ago this past Tuesday! lol)... full of tears and PUSHING my legs across that threshold...

Drinking is NOT something i WANT to give up... Getting drunk is... and although I've *known* for a long time that if i keep drinking ... (DUH) i'll keep getting drunk... this time is different. i've quit before, ... just to 'say i could'.

this time, it's different. the admitting thing seems to be the bugger for me too!

i must say... i've been to two meetings and as of yet, i only talked at the first -- and my introduction ENDED with my NAME... there was no "...and I'm an alcoholic"... Nope... and although I'm planning on Meeting number three tonigh -- i still cannot FATHOM saying it...

Still, I'm here -- and I've been here four days plus... so..... that, for me, is an admission, one of a longer length than I've had before... and I tredge on.

Today I will not drink. Today I will post. Today I will read and listen. Today I will not be drunk or feel guilty or embarrassed or afraid.

And though I never would have imagined it before... that's enough for me... for today, anyhow... in this moment, in this hour... it's enough.

Thanks for sharing and listening...
Old 01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Originally Posted by theonlyway View Post
i must say... i've been to two meetings and as of yet, i only talked at the first -- and my introduction ENDED with my NAME... there was no "...and I'm an alcoholic"... Nope... and although I'm planning on Meeting number three tonigh -- i still cannot FATHOM saying it...
Yeah, it's like once you actually say it out loud in front of people it becomes official. I know at that first meeting, I was just Tom when introduced as a newcomer or when meeting other people. Though when we broke off into our discussion circle and it got around to me...I don't know, it was like I felt a
push and I finally said that I'm an alcoholic. I definitely felt a release after doing so.

So good luck with tonight's meeting and keep up the good work!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Event Horizon View Post
Thanks for the feed back!

I ran across this site quite by accident nd thought it would be an excellent first step towards comming to some serious conclusions I have obviously put on hold. The next step is going to be meetings for me. I think I am a bit leary about that because I find it hard to admit I have a problem. But if I didn't, why would I need to why is there so much fear, guilt and shame surrounding my drinking? Theres definitely an issue and i want to tackle it before It gets worse. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys. You rock!
Hi Event Horizon,

How are you doing today? Did you get to go to a meeting?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Morning

No. I did not but I didn't go out last night and stayed home writing poetry, and talking to a good friend of mine who stopped drinking for a while and got her life under control. I haven't seen her in years and she told me that she had to leave behind everybody not because they were unhealthy but she was. She is a great help and we talked all night and she gave me insight.

But, I am going to a meeting next week though. Monday in fact. Thanks for asking
Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice Job EH~
Great inspiration....
Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

That's great to hear Event Horizon!

And thanks for mentioning your friend. It made me think about a friend of mine, who about 10 months ago started getting her life together. It made me realize that I had been left behind. I'll have to call her and see if we can reconnect now that I'm trying to do that now.