Notices

Does Vitamin be help?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Does Vitamin be help?

Some one told me that vitamin B helps with anxiety. I started drinking because it helped with anxiety of 30 years ago. Now it makes it worse, that is when I'm not drinking like right now. I have been having a panic attack for several hours now. I have taken Xanax and other benzos but then I started abusing them. Mixing them with alcohol. People have told me I'm lucky to be alive so I told my doctor I was an alcoholic and he stopped the prescriptions.

So back to my question. Does anyone know the answer. I can't go much longer feeling this way.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

A vitamin B complex and Omega 3 fatty acids. Will help some. You also might talk to your doctor and see if maybe he can prescribe a trial of anti-depressants to see if that will help ease your anxiety. Be aware though that everyone reacts differently to different antidepressants and some people do have increased anxiety with some. I would also suggest seeking counseling to find the root of the anxiety.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Nan is right about the antidepressants being helpful for anxiety, as well as depression.

Also, I have found that Vitamin B6 helps with stress and anxiety.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been told and have read that vitamin B1 helps with detoxing, B12 helps to build up red blood cells which are so vital in all bodily functions including the nervous system. For me specifically helps in energy level and shaky hands(non-alcohol related). A high B complex Stress mutivit does help if taken regularily. High protien too. I believe medlab.com has info on their sight in the treating depression on vitamin effects.

Ginseng and bee pollen helps with energy, valerian and st johns wort with sleep, (but don't mix with prescription sedatives) Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are medications for anxiety that are not supposed to be addictive. One is Buspiron. Talk to your doctor, or if you can, see a psychiatrist or pharmacologist. I have had horrid panic attacks which are now under control.

Meditation is helpful, once you get the hang of it. I started with tapes that I bought at Borders.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I never had any luck with vitamins, but that is just me.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take Zoloft it helps with both anxiety and depression, but drinking too much is not helpful at all, it interferes with all kinds of medication. A little bit to drink here and there is ok but drinking to reduce anxiety just has the opposite effect and can cause more anxiety.
Vitamins are good and vitamin B is good for your nervous system but it's not gonna take away your anxiety. One vitamin that is pretty good is Valerian it's an herb actually and also melatonin. I've tried valerian, it worked pretty good on me.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes buspar is a non addictive med to help anxiety. i took it for several months but of course it doesnt work the same way as xanax and all those. it doesnt take effect right away and like an anti depressant it has to build up in your system.
most herbal teas can also help-the ones that claim to reduce tension - often have chamomile, valerian, lavendar, B vitamins and other things. whatever you do though reduce caffiene in your diet as well as any other stimulating thing like sugar as well. Other non med solutions are yoga and meditation. tai chi also works wonders and its fun to take a class in this. anti depressants do often help with anxiety in a non direct way. i take lexapro for it now and jsut started it so i will have to get back to you on that one. But my dad has taken paxil for it for a very long time and it has helped him alot.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi DancingKat,
I will be interested in how you do on Lexapro. I am trying to find an anti-depressant that I can take with my blood disease. Right now I am on Cymbalta and I don't think it works at all. I have heard good things about Paxil. I'll have to talk to my blood doc and then my phyciatrist. Trying to get them to agee is not easy.
Thanks
Carol
Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugggg. Not to be a downer but Paxil is paroxetine, and in my case and thousands of others did more damage than good. Hovn't read through your entire thread and don't know what your blood disease is...... however I have low blood pressure, and anemic. Effexors I found 100 times better in effectiveness. Side effects and results.

Everybody is unique but considering the hundreds of thousands adverly affected by paxils/paroxetine. I would try effexors first.

Just my unprofessional, yet well reserched opinion.

An apology to those whom paxil Does work well in advance..........as I said everybody is uniquely different.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Before I was diagnosed with my blood disease, I did try Effexor. I think it worked, but other things were bad in my life, so I can't tell. I do know that I KNEW I was taking it. I felt it, which is something I haven't felt with other anti-depressants.
Thanks for the info.
Carol
'
Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

For now I'm have some vitamin B complex and Omega 3 pills I am taking every day in addition to a more healthy over all diet and exercise along with a lot of prayer and meetings.

Thank you for your suggestions I will check into them as time allows.