Notices

If I could just stop.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

If I could just stop.

Hi. I have am not sober. I mean right at the moment I am because I drank all I had yesterday and am going through some tough withdrawals right now.

I don't expect to stay sober today. I need a drink so bad right now. The stores don't start selling beer until 7am. That is a couple hours away. The state run liquor stores don't open until 10am.

I know I am an alcoholic. I really need to stop badly but have not been successful.

I no longer have faith that I can ever stop even though I know life was so much better the last time I stopped and that was because I was in jail for drinking and driving. Jail was better then where I am at in my head today.

I don't know how I'm going to get through this one.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try AA.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dean, You can stop! Go to a hospital if you need to, find a sober friend to help you, but don't pick up. You stated you stopped before, do it again. Humans are amazing, don't convince yourself you can't because it then becomes a self fullfilling prophecy.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...millions of us stopped and stayed stopped
using AA Get into action ...get into AA.

Blessings
Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lurker

AA was truely a mirical in my life. I walked into the rooms shaking and desperate, and today I have over a year. There is hope for a better life. Just call the AAHot line, and get to a meeting.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR, thats a good start what next?

Kevin
Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Welcome to SR, thats a good start what next?

Kevin
I hadn't thought of this as a start but then again I haven't thought about much but getting some more alcohol. I guess I am trying to reach out for help. I know that sounded stupid but if the shoe fits.

So what is next?

I found the website with all the meetings in Salt Lake but none have started yet. Next thing I'm going to do is pray.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I'm praying with ya buddy..
Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thats good, maybe get to a meeting as soon as you can and get some rest as well.

A desire to stop boozing or using is great.

Kevin
Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
I hadn't thought of this as a start but then again I haven't thought about much but getting some more alcohol. I guess I am trying to reach out for help. I know that sounded stupid but if the shoe fits.

So what is next?

I found the website with all the meetings in Salt Lake but none have started yet. Next thing I'm going to do is pray.
This is a start... And I'll pray with you, too...
Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Dean, I am only on day 2 and I can relate to what you are feeling:

I no longer have faith that I can ever stop even though I know life was so much better the last time I stopped and that was because I was in jail for drinking and driving. Jail was better then where I am at in my head today.
I am a mess, but I know that I can do this. If I screw up, I will quit again... and again, and again until this part of my life is over, because living this way - drunk all day - is not living. I know you have some hope in you because you are on here and you are praying. For me, half the battle is keeping that hope (that I could/can beat this, even though I was drinking) alive and letting it grow. Even if you don't quit right this moment, at least believe that you can, and that you will.

Drinking all day - I know you are not happy, because thats what I did. I was never a part time alcoholic. I think for us all day drinkers, the only moment that even comes close to happiness (? I know thats the wrong word) is just before that first drink, when you have plenty of booze for the day - and thats it. Then it's just another slide into numbness, ending another wasted day feeling depressed and hating yourself. It feels like a lead weight on your soul.

You are worth more than that, you deserve more than that, and you CAN have more than that. Just please - even if you don't quit today - believe that.

I hope I didn't overstep my bounds here, if I did I have a good excuse... I'm sitting here feeling like crap with my cranberry juice and my blanket. But, I'm welcoming it. I know this will pass, and I know that tonight I will feel physically sick, but I didn't waste today and I will not go to sleep feeling guilty again.

Maybe you could talk to a doctor - put a plan in motion, so you will be ready when you do quit.

I have been praying a lot too, and I will pray for you today.

Again, I am just starting and felt just like you. If I can help in any way, let me know. I know if a mess like me can do it - even for a day - than you surely can.

All the best to you,

Krissy
Old 01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I didn't stop yesterday. Right now it looks like I am going to make it through today for what thats worth.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't stop yesterday. Right now it looks like I am going to make it through today for what thats worth.
Make it through today, and then don't drink tomorrow. One day at a time my friend. After today, you will have done day one. Day one is pretty tough to make it through, and you are close.

I operate in the same mindset of one day at a time. I will do my best for today, and worry about tomorrow when it comes.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ust today Dean, that's all you need to do... just today. You can do it

HuGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGs

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Krissy 72 View Post
Hi Dean, I am only on day 2 and I can relate to what you are feeling:
If I screw up, I will quit again... and again, and again until this part of my life is over, because living this way - drunk all day - is not living.
Krissy
Although I don't trust myself I will not stop trying. Thank you for reminding me I must not give up.

Thank you also to the rest of you that have taken the time to respond.

I made it through yesterday Friday the 25th with ought a drink. At the end of the day the you could actually smell the detox. I don't need to go into all the details but it was bad.

Today I have been doing better until this last hour or so. I'm irratable, jumpy and my head feels like cotton. There is probably more but I can't think straight right now I'm just glad I made through yesterday. This will be day two for me because I don't want to go through another yesterday.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Dean,

Hang in there. We are here with you.

Can you get to a meeting? What time is it there?

Steph
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Dean:

You made the effort and took the time to find this place. You can stop. Some things are scarier to think about than to actually do.

Keep pushing!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Can you get to a meeting?
No I haven't been to a meeting since I stopped drinking. I would have to ride the bus downtown for more then an hour and I'm not physically ready. I fear it would trigger a panic attack. I still have plenty of fear.

We are also in the middle of our biggest snow storm of the year. I will try and figure something out.

Thanks for the thought.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

I am happy you found us...:bounce