Language of Letting Go - January 25

Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - January 25

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Step One

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.
--Step One of Al-Anon

There are many different versions of the First Step for recovering codependents. Some of us admit powerlessness over alcohol or another's alcoholism. Some of us admit powerlessness over people; some over the impact of growing up in an alcoholic family.

One of the most significant words in the First Step is the word we. We come together because of a common problem, and, in the coming together, we find a common solution.

Through the fellowship of Twelve Step programs, many of us discover that although we may have felt alone in our pain, others have experienced a similar suffering. And now many are joining hands in a similar recovery.

We. A significant part of recovery. A shared experience. A shared strength, stronger for the sharing. A shared hope - for better lives and relationships.

Today, I will be grateful for the many people across the world who call themselves "recovering codependents." Help me know that each time one of us takes a step forward, we pull the entire group forward.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This reading today reminds me of how very grateful I am for all those who went before me and lit my path, and for all those who walk with me every day.

"WE" is a wonderful concept. I remember the enormous relief when almost 6 years ago I first arrived at SoberRecovery, purely by accident or Act of God, and I met people who made me laugh when I hadn't laughed in a very long time, who shared their tears and their love and their support, many of whom are still here.

I have become close friends with Moose and Hangin' and Cat, having spent summer getaways with them up at Moose's cottage on Codie Lake and never knew women like us from north, south, west and midwest who hadn't known each other in person before, could form a bond of friendship that would last a lifetime and connect our hearts forever. I never knew that there were three women in this world who were crazier than I was and who could make me laugh until I hurt.

I have made wonderful friends here with people I may never meet, but who know me better than family or my closest friends and I make new friends every day with terrific people who cross my path and make my world a better place.

Yes, "WE" is a wonderful concept. Together we can do what we cannot do alone. Together we walk this path of recovery and no matter how crazy our lives may be, together we understand each other and share our light.

Just for today I will be so very grateful for the "we" importance of this program. I could never be in the good place I am in today without each one of the "we" 's I have met here.

Hugs of Gratitude and Love
Old 01-25-2008, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today, I will be grateful for the many people across the world who call themselves "recovering codependents." Help me know that each time one of us takes a step forward, we pull the entire group forward.
This reminds me of something Rudyard Kipling wrote: "The strength of the wolf is in the pack, and the strength of the pack is in the wolf".

I know I get my strength from each one of you every day, and in my own small way I try to give back to the group so that the next newcomer walking in the door can have what we all have found here.

Just wanted to add that.

Hugs
Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i thank God everyday for my recovery & for all of you that has walked beside me. i know where i was & i know where i am today. i could never have gotten this far with out you. i hope that i can (am) help just one of you find the acceptance that i have found with this program. thanks to all of you who picked me up as i stumbled & fell. may the light keep burning,
Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Me too, couldn't make it without SR

susan