Update: She's sick again

Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update: She's sick again

My AD called me tonight at work to report that after 4 days of no vomitting and less and less diarrhea, she had a day of vomitting all day and constant diarrhea again (today). She said that the ER doctor last saturday, when she was there, insisted that her lab work that night was "completely normal" - though i wonder how it could be since he also told her she was "severly dehydrated" and gave her 2 bags of IV fluids. But, I'll assume he meant it was completely normal except for lab values indicative of severe dehydration. Her white count was probably normal then, and so what the heck is causing all of these symptoms???

I'm starting to worry again. Another nurse here (I'm at work) suggested appendicitis so I called her back but she says, "no pain" in the abdomen, so that's unlikely.

I told her to call the HIV clinic in the morning and ask what to do next - she has no health insurance but she does have 'charity care' as this one hospital in Newark where she goes to the clinic and went to the ER on saturday. (BTW, she's not on any HIV meds yet (T-cells still good), so its not caused by that!)

In addition to my concerns about what is wrong with her, I also am concerned about whether or not she will actually follow through here and call, and then actually do whatever they suggest. As an active addict, well, sometimes she does follow though and more often than not, she doesn't.

Can you spell p-o-w-e-r-l-e-s-s?? Eeek!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

(((((((sleepygoat)))))))))))))))\
I can spell powerless
But sometimes we have to step in when health issues are paramount because our addicts don't deal. Sometimes we have to nag, prod, manipulate them to save their lives.

Wishing your daughter the sense to listen to her mom
Old 01-25-2008, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree that there is something wrong and hope she continues to get medical attention.

Sending hugs and prayers for both of you because this would concern me too.

Hugs
Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((sleepygoat))))

Sending you and your AD hugs and prayers. I know I always feel helpless when I can't figure out what is making someone (or me) sick, despite having been a nurse for years.

You know what, though? We're only human, and right now your "mom" instincts are way much stronger than nurse instincts (like they should be). I hope she finds out what's wrong and gets it taken care of.

Hugs and prayers to you and AD

Amy
Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleepygoat,

I agree with the gals.
When our children are physically sick they may need a little "mothering".
We can't help much with their other sickness (addiction), but I don't think helping out at a time like this is wrong? JMHO

I hope she is feeling better soon.
Colleen
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i really hope she will follow through & go back to the dr. my prayers are with her & you both.hugs,
Old 01-25-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

prayers for your daughter,
susan
Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

<<<<<<<<<hugs and prayers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He'll give you strength because he knows you need it.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

I hope your daughter finds out what is wrong. I'm sorry you've had to go through all of this worry.
thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((((SleepyGoat))))))))

I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's illness. Your both in my thoughts
and prayers today.

Linda
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

sleepygoat,
Oh the things that make us moms worry!
I do know that a nasty bug has been going around these parts with much of the same symptoms you are describing.

I am praying she just has the "nasty bug" and it'll all be gone in another day!

If it continues, she needs to go back to the E.R.
again, and again until they figure it out!

Hugs and prayers....
Old 01-25-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

I called her like 4 times this morning after I got back from work. she had called the clinic 2 or 3 times herself and they told her the doctor would call her back when he/she had a chance. As of 10:30 I went to sleep with the cell phone by my bed. She didn't call me - when I woke up at 4 (few minutes ago) I tried her cell - went to voicemail. I tried the BF who is working - voicemail with him too. Trying not to panic (more obsession right now than full blown panic), She gave me details of how she lies on the bathroom floor for hours once the vomitting starts too weak to get up and stuff like that - trying not to beat self up for not driving to Newark on no sleep and doing,,,,what? I did cancel my own doctor's appt today in case she needed me to take her someplace after she spoke with the clinic doc (and after I got some sleep)- but that never happened. I will call again around 6 when BF is usually home from work and see what I can do.

Her symptoms ( including itchy red rash - like hives- that comes and goes, which she only now decided to mention) IMO point to acute hepatitis as most likely, then to one of the parasitic GI virus like giardiasis, then to (still possible) appendicitis. Yeah, next step if clinic was unable to see her sooner than Feb her next regular appt, is the ER again. Hepatitis if it is that is usually something that resolved on its own with rest and with taking care of oneself which does not include dancing in strip clubs and smoking crack/snorting heroin. (ha, ha - it always comes back to this f-ing addiction).

I will keep you all posted. Maybe this all a part of those 'consequences' I keep praying for God to let me let her have in order for her to become willing??? Gotta believe he knows what He's doing.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sorry, I know it hurts. Being a nurse and knowing the signs/symptoms of what can happen is a curse!

susan
Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((((Sleepy))))

still sending you and your daughter hugs and prayers.

Amy
Old 01-26-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Talked to her last night. the clinic doc never called her back!

If she is still having same symptoms over the rest of the weekend, we have plans to show up there (at the HIV clinic) on monday morning and just say "Hey, the doctor didn't call her so now he can talk to her in person!", and if they wont see her without an appointment (likely), then we go accross the street to the ER -
Old 01-27-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you are going with her....it helps to have someone along who will not be intimidated by doctors....we who are/were nurses don't get intimidated easily...especially when it involves a loved one!

Let us know how it goes.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-27-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I'll be saying extra prayers for your daughter tonight