Notices

A little late, but managed to quit today

Old 01-24-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little late, but managed to quit today

Hi - I posted “new and hopefully quitting tomorrow” on Sunday night. Well, things didn’t go exactly as planned, but did it today.

The last time I quit, I made it 3 1/2 months. All things considered, the first 2 actually went pretty smooth (outside the withdrawal hell of week 1). Every day it was all about fighting this one battle. I was totally motivated. If a bill collector or (ugh) a relative called - screw it - I had something more important to focus on. Same with all the other day to day problems. But when I seriously started to think I might get out of this, the reality of having to face those problems - any problems - scared the crap out of me.

So, I’m sitting here, trying not to get ahead of myself by thinking of what I’m going to have to learn to cope with if I get back to that point. Oh, well, I’m sure I’ll feel so s****y tomorrow it’ll take my mind off it

Anyway, thank you for listening and for all the brutally honest posts… Reading what you all have gone/are going through... well, it makes me feel hopeful and not alone.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Better late than never!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Gotta start somewhere ... may as well be here and now.

We're here for all that other stuff, too, ya know.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it gets better

hi im Charlie a grateful recovering alcoholic. i went back out after 24 + years sober. sober now 4+ months and i can tell you ,even though lifes problems have not gone away, ( life itself is much better ). im in A A,go to a lot of meetings,practice the 12 steps,and most importently have turned ALL my problems over to my H P. hang in there it getts better!!!

good things happen to drunks that dont drink!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good for you krissy

new bumper sticker...

"Dont Drink, & Let HP Drive"

good wishes krissy

rz
Old 01-25-2008, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are restarting your healthy future.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Great choice and welcome to SR
Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Krissy - good to have you aboard
Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Krissy,

The people I've been listening to here, the past couple of days (I'm just starting Day 5)... are wonderful, loving, compassionate, supportive and amazing... This is a warm, comfortable place to be -- pull up a chair.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all - I put my debit card and my credit card in my husbands wallet last night after he went to sleep, so I will definately make day 2, although he probably won't be thrilled that I didn't do any food shopping. Oh, well - I'll just tell him he must've done it.
Using my sneaky alcoholic ways for good instead of evil This weekend I'll claim flu.

Oops - short explanation - husbands a great guy, but will not be helpful with this, at least not right off the bat. Once I've quit for a while, he'll accept it and be fine. Sounds wierd, but thats how it is.

I just looked at myself in the mirror and dear God do I look like crap. Maybe I should take a pic so I have something to remind me why I can't ever, ever drink again.

Thank you all again.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Never too late and your never late probably right on time.

Knowing me I will be late to my own funeral LOL
Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

it's funny... When I'm drinking and in the "mode" -- I won't leave my house without makeup and hair 'done'...

I'm only on day 5, but I do recall this from previous 'runs' at sober... I haven't put on a lick of makeup since my last drunk on Sunday.

For me, it helps, because a lot of my drinking is related to hanging with my friends in the bar and having *fun*... but I wouldn't dare go in and share "this" face... lol

Doesn't stop me from staring at that half bottle of wine sitting on my counter, but in a strange way... it helps.

I'm sure it will be nice to have your husband's support, but in the meantime, I know you'll get plenty of it here.

do you do AA? I went to my first on Tuesday, second last night...

Last edited by theonlyway; 01-25-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: forgot a line...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Krissy,

I am so glad you're back and giving this your best shot.

I know what it's like to go through it without support from your husband too. My husband was so frustrated with me, he just wanted it to stop and didn't have any other interest whatsoever. I think you will find that, in the end, it will make you stronger.

And, we're here and we do understand.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

theonlyway,

That's so funny - I do the same thing, and I'm a recluse drinker (I'd rather be alone). But hair, make-up - lots of showers. For me, I guess it's about fooling people. Boy, she smells like scotch, but I must be mistaken, look how clean and put together she is. LOL.

I've never done AA. I might try it in the future, I'm not sure yet.

Thank you
Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anna,

I think my husbands just afraid. Over the years, my “hiding spots” have gotten weaker and weaker, and there’s no doubt he knows but doesn’t want to know, if you get what I mean. I had vodka in a plant sprayer once, and he sprayed something with it, I think he was cleaning his shoes or something. I told him it was window cleaner and that was that. He drinks, but not like me, and just refuses to face that I have a problem. To him, me saying “I’m an alcoholic” is like saying “I just joined a cult” - I’m going to change everything, preach, go to secret meetings, cancel his football parties and he’ll find himself married to a stranger. When that didn’t happen last time, he gradually and cautiously became more accepting, and eventually even told me that he was proud of me… although he didn’t say anything when I started again.

For me, quitting is going to involve being around alcohol to an extent, but I think I will still be able to do it, because that’s not what broke me last time. I am definitely my own worst enemy.

Btw, perfect quote under your sig. You seem like such a strong person, It's hard to see you as being like this at one time (I did lots of lurking before posting). I hope I get better. The sick part is the easiest part for me.

Thank you