Notices

Just some thoughts...

Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Smile Just some thoughts...

Boredum is a well-established symptom of clinical depression. Alcohol withdrawal can bring on depression (including "PAWS"). A lot of people who are newly sober talk about feeling "bored" all the time. Many also talk about being depressed and exhibit all of the symptoms of clinical depression (fatigue, sleeping in late, apathy, guilt, worthlessness, loss of interest in the things they used to enjoy - including sex, etc). I'm always telling people that it's not that I'm bored because there's "nothing to do" but because I can't get motivated to do anything. After doing a lot of reading, now I understand why. One might say that I'm having an epiphany...now I need to find an anti-depressant (or some type of medication) to get me out of this rut.

I feel motivated and good now because of the Klonopin I took before I went to bed last night to help me sleep, the coffee I'm drinking now and the tobacco I'm using. An hour from now I could crash and sink right back down into the pit again, thus forcing me to go into "auto-pilot" mode just to get anything done today.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Incidentally, what happened to the gazillion replies I used to get from at least a dozen or more people each time I posted?. I'd get somethng like 10 views and 8 replies (good ratio!). Now it's down to something like 150 views and 1 or 2 replies. Have I offended in some way?. I sure hope not (at least I havn't meant to). If I did then...

:sorry

- IHaveChanged
Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I sure can identify with the boredom aspect. I had no idea to what extent alcohol had dominated my life until I gave it up. It took a long time to fill my life with activities that didn't centre around booze.
Actually, now that I think about it - a lot of the time when I was bored, I just picked up a drink and it carried me away into nothingless - just a bottomless void.
BTW - just because people don't always reply, doesn't mean they don't care. Try not to take it personally.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things are always up and down on the boards, so don't take the number of replies personally. It just is.

I think talking to your dr about your depression is a good idea. There is still a good chance your depression will lift in the next couple of months, as your recovery continues. If your depression was caused by alcohol, it will take your body awhile to adjust to its new status quo, so try to be patient. If you do need meds, your dr will help you with that.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate to a lot of what you say there. I have been out the other side of the lowness for a while now. But i remember that when i was really depressed (first 18mths of recovery) people would tell me things like i would feel better if i got out a took some exercise each day and did some chores like keeping the house together. I knew that there was a truth behind it but it was easy said than done. In the depths of depression it was all too much. It was only when i started to move out of the depression that i was able to get up and moving. I knew i was getting better when i was able to say to myself, 'i dont much feel like doing that washing up, but i am gonna do it anyway'. But i had to get better enough first if that makes sense.

I wish you all the best with your journey. That really is a horrid place to be i know. For me it healed with time. Maybe it would have healed a little quicker if i had sought some medical assistance, i dont know.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the reason you're getting less replies is because this board is here to help you get sober and support you in your endeavor to do so. Speaking for myself only here, when I see someone asking about personal issues such as jobs, relationships, housing, health etc... I try to stay out. I cannot help with health issues where it sounds like medical help is necassary because I avoid Doctors like the clap. I don't know anything. If it seems like someone needs a therapist of some sort, I stay out of it. I don't do therapy and I'm not qualified. I stay out of peoples love lives just the same. I'm not a Marriage Counselor either. The list of issues people have goes on forever.
These are problems people have whether they drink or not. It's simply not my department and anything I say may be completley wrong.
What I do know a little bit about is 12 steps to a better life. Nothing more.
That's why I stay out. It's nothing personal. I do commend you on your sobriety. That I can do. Be paitient with it and don't expect too much to happen at once. This leads to frustration and depression in itself because the life you're expecting from giving up drinking doesn't happen overnight. Remember the instant gratification we seek as alcoholics? Just hang on for the ride. It will happen. Others will notice long before you do.