"working the program" question

Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"working the program" question

The weekends and holidays are when I am able to fully work a program of recovery and taking care of myself. I feel calm and at peace. I can't seem to obtain this during the week at work. As soon as I get there, my mind races and I feel pulled in so many different directions. Yes, I know it's work, but I can't exhaust myself throughout the week and try to undo everything in two days.

What do you do that helps you practice the principles in all affairs?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When things starting getting out of whack i try to remember the slogans and apply them to my day. Also, taking a step back and remembering to breath sometimes helps, too.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

When I was working in the fast paced production machine shop... there were moments that things just didn't seem to line up no matter how hard you tried.
An old timer gave me a tool that works great as long as you don't over use it.

Take a minute.

Walk away for just 60 seconds. Take a deep breath and then return.
Some days... 3 times was all that was needed...3 minutes out of the work day.
Some days..1 time is all that was needed and still other days it wasn't needed at all.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I have a daily reminder book and my courage to change book in my car-I pick these up every morning before I pull out of my driveway-it reminds that if I do not have time to really work my program that day that at least I was able to remind myself in the morning how important me & my recovery are!

And during the day if I get into a rough patch- I walk outside and breathe in some fresh air- and count to 10! It works for me!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I start my day off with a small pile of meditation books, doing a few readings before I leave my home. At work I spend free time on SR, if I hit any rough spots I'll call, email, or text someone in the program for support. And if it gets really bad I'll take a few minutes to walk away from my desk and pray.

When the storm is going in my head I need to make time to walk away for a moment and find some peace. This helps me too, I keep it taped up next to my bathroom mirror and read it every morning:

"Perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, irritable or sore; to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised, it is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and about is seeming trouble."

*These words appeared on a plaque on Dr. Bob's desk to pinpoint his views of humility.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What worked for me when I was working,
I can do anything for 8 hrs.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great suggestions!