Notices

My 2 week journal

Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
taking it one day at a time

My 2 week journal

Hi everyone,

First of all, I just want to say thanks to everyone on SR for the warm welcome and support they have given me so far.

It's been an interesting two weeks for me. I've been attending regular AA meetings, reading up on a heap of literature, browsing and posting on SR and I've met a heap of people that have provided me with great advice and emotional support. There's just too many people to thank lol.

Being a binge drinker, I haven't really thought about drinking during the week but to be honest, the thought has crossed my mind on the weekends. Not to a crazy extent like I have a drink in my hand and had to force myself to put it down, but more like a passing thought that was gone quicker than a Veyron.

I've had a lot of my friends calling and texting me the last two Friday's and Saturday's. I know they're just calling to ask me to come out for drinks so I just haven't answered their calls or replied to their messages. I know that's a bit rude but I just didn't need the added hassles. I've had enough emotions to deal with and I just need to be around people who understand what I'm going through.

Yesterday I met one of my best friends for lunch and explained to him how I had joined AA and how I wanted to quit drinking permanently. At first, he was trying to tell me that "you don't need to quit, you're not an alcoholic (in the way that the bums at the city park are), you just need to limit yourself to having a couple beers" but after I explained to him the reasons I don't want to drink anymore he was very supporting and said that he'd help me in anyway he could.

It made me feel really good about myself coz I haven't told any of my family or friends what I've been doing the past couple of weeks. My mum thinks I have a new girlfriend and she keeps telling me to bring her home for dinner haha. I just haven't had the courage yet to tell her that I've been attending AA meetings.

I've noticed very quickly in AA that I've got more in common with an alcoholic than I once thought. I've observed that when another person is sharing, I'm not only learning about them and their drinking, but I'm learning a lot about myself and my drinking. Many things I never used to understand such as blackouts just make sense now. I used to think "doesn't everyone have blackouts?". Well, apparently they don't lol.

It's been very interesting to learn how alcoholism doesn't discriminate against anyone. Your age, gender, background, nationality, financial status, education... none of these things matter. Alcohol can and does affect anybody. I have a great education (post-grad), have a great career, nice car, land, come from a great family so I've been in denial about being an alcoholic for the past two years at least. So finally admitting to myself that I am an alcoholic has felt like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel I can finally move forward now and look forward to a brighter future.

I've shared a few times in AA. The first time was very difficult and quite emotional for me, but I felt great afterwoods and now I love to get up and share. It helps to get things off my chest and I just feel great afterwoods.

I've also met some fantastic young people in AA who have been through very similar stuff as I have and it's been great to hang out with them after meetings and go out for a bite to eat or get a coffee. It's a bit less informal then the AA meetings and you can really have a good chat.

Sorry for the long post guys but I just felt like sharing with you all.

Day 16 and feeling great :bounce
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, timeto. Just like it's helpful for you to hear others, it was really helpful to me to read your post. I think you're one day ahead of me. Let me know if you need support along the way.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Excellent progress!

I too have found new sober friends to socialize
with extremely interesting and vital to my successful recovery.

Way To Go....Congratulations!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, it sounds like you're doing great and really learning a lot.

When I stopped trying to control my drinking (which darn near drove me crazy), I felt like the weight of the world was lifted from me. I was free from the obsessive thoughts and could begin to live again. And, I find, coming here enables me to meet people who are on the same road I am on and learning what I am learning. We might be at different places on the road, but we are travelling together.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
taking it one day at a time

Thanks so much for the support, it means a lot :ghug
Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doesn't use this site anymore

Congrats Nindy!!
You're doing great!