Notices

AA and just go to meetings

Old 01-20-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA and just go to meetings

Hello,

I am not big believer in the 12 step program. But I am very interested in attending meetings a couple times a weeks just to go Big Book Discussions and hear other people deal with the problems.

It seems that I prefer CBT-based plan but AA is now becoming an essential part of my recovery. I use to be anti-AA until I realized that a lot of AA wisdom was good wisdom for recovery alcoholic and since my alcoholism is rooted in social isolationism than the best form of recovery is to be in a group format.

I have psychologists that can help me deal with the drinking issues but I want to combine SMART Recovery and AA and develop my own recovery plan but I want to be around other people that going through the same issues that I am going through and also to work change a lot of my attitudes that I have as alcoholic

For those in AA, is this considered to be okay? Like I said, there is a lot of good resources in AA but it alone does not answer some of the problems that I have.

All I want to go this meetings and get what they called Good Orderly Wisdom
Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR Crisco, it's your recovery and AA is there for you to use as a resource. Combine it, live in it, do what you like!

It's known as Good Orderly Direction (G.O.D.) by the way.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Crisco, I'm sure that others can answer your question better, but my two cents is that whatever works, use it.

I've got a hesitancy about AA too. I've been to three meetings, and two of them were really awesome, and the other one was not really a problem. I'm on day 15 with help from two AA friends, some everyday friends, and this message board. It seems enough for me, but I wonder too whether I can do this over the long haul without 12 steps.

To be honest, the higher power thing intimidates me. I'm not worried about the religious angle, I just feel like my sobriety is so fragile that I'm worried about asking HP for help and getting a reply, "I'm here, but I've got no help for you."

Silly, but that's how I feel. I'd appreciate anyone's take on their experience with AA. Thanks. And thanks crisco for the post.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Big Book meetings are closed meetings.
That means only alcoholics can go
sooo...
please do attend and enjoy!

Keep in focus...let us know how you are doing
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I am in the situation you are in.

I attended AA for a while about a year and a half ago. I don't attend meetings anymore. I find that, for me, some of the meetings can be really negative and focused on the past. I will attend if I am feeling really lonely and need to be around people. Having said that, I still use many of the tools I learned in the meetings, but I the main program that I try to follow is SMART mixed in with the principals of WFS. I highly doubt that anyone would have a serious issue with you attending.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I happen to follow the 12 steps of AA but I also have incorporated other beliefs into what I have learned. Personally I feel that it is up to each person to find what works for them. It has been my experience though that until I applied myself totally to the program of AA I was not able to get much out of it. But my experience may not reflect someone elses. Good luck on your journey to sobriety and welcome to SR
Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Crisco,

Use whatever recovery methods, or parts of recovery methods, work for you.

The more you look around SR, the more you will learn.

I hope you keep posting.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

When I was in rehab my first counselor, a 20 year sober member of A.A. herself, was fond of saying "Take what you need and leave the rest." I sometimes hear this misquoted as "Take what you like and leave the rest" or "Take what you want and leave the rest." Want, like, and need are three different words for a reason: they mean different things.

If we are honest, open-minded, and willing, we get what we need in recovery. There's no reason we can't use more than one tool to help us get there.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You sound a lot like I do. I attend a few meetings a week of different kinds (study, discussion, beginners). I also get a lot of info from online sources and books like Rational Revocery, Above the Influence, and Beyond the influence.

I enjoy the meetings and most of the people there. Only 11 days this time, but so far so good. I don't really 'work' the steps, but I do see a lot of the good they can accomplish.

Like someone else said, use whatever methods you need to use to stay sober. Many roads lead to recovery.

I wish you well.

Brightest Blessings.

BHJ