Anyone watching the VH1 show Celebs in rehab with Dr. Drew?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Anyone watching the VH1 show Celebs in rehab with Dr. Drew?

Just woundering your thiughts about this show? I'm watching it do to the fact that I have been listening to Dr. Drew since the 80's on a radio station here in L.A. So I was drawn to it, it has been a big eye opener for me. These Addicts go tru hell to get sober. Life forthem is just a tough for them as it is for us. What I'm learning most is compassion
Old 01-19-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

I find myself having less compassion for those who put themselves in situations under their own free will.
This life style of party party party, or escaping one reality is an easy way out for not dealing with life.

The ones that should have an honor or show done about them are the saints that put up with these losers and drunks.

Nope , no compassion here.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no compassion.....? (Sigh) thats sad. Its not a choice, its a disease.

Yes, I have seen the show....its just another *reality* train wreck.....Pinksy is ok, seems like he knows his stuff....but the bottom line is networks just making money off peoples suffering.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Pink, you're in dangerous territory around here with the "it's a disease" talk We've had long, brutal threads about that one.

Funny, my ex was controlled by his "disease" until it was "sober up or go to jail". Suddenly he was able to control himself after decades of drinking. Things that make you go "hmmmm ..."
Old 01-19-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Um yep that nasty disease that make the bottle magically pour the hooch down the gullet of the drunk while they sleep.
You mean that one?

Yeah this is territory that has two sides and two opinions that a lot of people have.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm, yup this is one of those "gasoline on a fire" conversations.

I wouldn't say I have compassion for my XABF so much anymore. Remember, there is the school of thought that "alcoholism is a game" and I think he has embraced the game to his advantage to a large extent. He is one of the most dishonest, manipulative, and perhaps evil people I have ever met. But sometimes I think he is insane too, and it could be alcohol dementia. If at this point he is truly crazy, I might feel compassion for him. I didn't stick around to find out which because he was hell-bent on wrecking my life and that was not acceptable to me. Peace, to me, is addictive over chaos.

Compassion for the saints who put up with them? Definitely the married ones with children, trying to do what's right and not knowing what the heck to do. For the parents and siblings, yes, definitely. For those few who might be getting an emotional payoff from the abusive alcoholic? No. They're as messed up as the alcoholic is. No, I'm NOT referring to anyone on this board that I know of, I swear. I'm kinda thinking of Jeff Conway's girlfriend, the enabler.

I watched the first episode of Celeb Rehab in horror, partially because I'm appalled at the physical condition of some of them from what I remember, their mental state, and because it was a trigger for remembering how my XABF was. R is only a few steps away from becoming Jeff Conway. I look at them like I look at my XABF ... with jaw dropped that any human being could come to such a state. And I guess with a feeling of helplessness that there are no surefire answers or magic pills that can be taken and all is made right.

I sure do like how Dr. Drew handles some of them ... "Okay, so why are you here?" for the ones on the fence. He doesn't take any crap, does he?

Yeah, I'll be tuning in to see what happens.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by kermit View Post
What I'm learning most is compassion
It's very hard times like what I've been living recently that gives me some insight as to what might drive a person to seek relief from the pain of, yes, life.

I think back to the days when I didn't have any tools to cope with life, and that's not to say I have all the tools I need now, or even properly utilize all the ones I currently have all the time either. But without any coping skills/tools, whatever you want to call it, life certainly seemed hopeless and painful. Sometimes it seemed there was no end in sight. I can see where those types of people would loose faith and seek comfort, any kind of comfort to end the pain, temporarily.

I'm going through some very, very hard times again. Even with the tools I possess, getting some temporary relief still would certainly be welcomed. But, one of my tools that I have is that I know these feelings are temporary. And, I know I won't break when I allow myself to feel the pain. I also know if I block the pain, it will build momentum and delay the healing process even more.

Yes, I have compassion for what drives a person to those extremes. It doesn't mean I approve of inappropriate behavior, doesn't mean I need to do anything about their situation, but compassion for what led them there, yes, I do.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have varying amounts of compassion for my XAGF. Right now she's going through a "I'll never drink again" phase and has even started attending AA (a first for her, although she has been having counselling for the past nine months). Right now, she seems to at least be getting a glimpse of the wreckage she's caused and the hideous mess she's made of her life. So I do have a degree of compassion and empathy for her at the moment - she is at least making an attempt to sort herself out. I'm not a believer in the "alcoholism is a disease" idea any more than my nicotine addiction is a disease. It's arguably a mental illness, I suppose... But, then again, I'm sure she never set out with the intention to become A.

But that compassion is very much tempered with the knowledge that, sooner or later, she's going to drink again. She's been through times much like this before and it never lasts more than a month or two. There's a big child protection conference coming up soon and I think at least part of her motivation right now is to put on a good front for that. Once she does resume drinking then my compassion drops to zero and, instead, I veer between pity and a touch of disgust. As time has gone and I've distanced myself more and more from her the emotional swings I experience are reducing in their intensity but I can't deny the feelings I have.

Mr B.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ICU

I'll let you in on a little secret Mr. B....I didn't begin to have compassion for my ex until years after he was my ex. While I was with him there was loads of anger, hurt, frustration, you name it. It wasn't until after I looked at myself as to why I stayed with him and started the ball of recovery and understanding, of myself, that I finally began to have feelings of compassion...for myself first...then others. Some people do it much earlier than I did, some later, some have it all along, some not at all. What ever our story is, is what it is!

And I agree with you, you shouldn't deny the feelings that you have. That was one of my greatest lessons!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can't say that I've ever been compelled to watch this program. I've lived in the shadow of alcoholism, addiction, rehab, and recovery for most of my real life.......the last thing I need is to watch it on TV. Celebrities don't get any more sympathy from me than any other person in trouble does. (But "Animal Cops" ? Now there's something I can get into. Throwing things at the TV, yelling obscenities and threats at the abusers Very cathartic for me.)

Good luck to ALL of those who are recovering; I gotta say that I have a lot more sympathy for those who do NOT have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on their recovery -- those who don't have the resources for quality and committed detox/rehab/therapy, endless time off work to regroup, money to relocate away from the environment they used in.

Ordinary folks without well-off families get popped out of the four weeks they could afford at the Salvation Army facility , back into their same crappy home and neighborhood, and everyone says, "Okay -- now change!" I'm sure all recovery is incredibly hard, but I'm thinking it's a little easier when your rehab is a plush palace in Malibu staffed with state-of-the-art therapies and professionals where you can afford to stay as long as you need to.

Could be wrong about that, but it doesn't matter. Celebrity or not, it's all really hard work. And not something that I view as entertainment. No offense intended. I just find that kind of show really demeaning and exploitative.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No I don't watch TV shows about addiction/recovery.
I have lived thru both.

Has anyone checked out this Time article?

How We Get Addicted - TIME

Blessings
Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantsOut View Post
Pink, you're in dangerous territory around here with the "it's a disease" talk We've had long, brutal threads about that one.

Funny, my ex was controlled by his "disease" until it was "sober up or go to jail". Suddenly he was able to control himself after decades of drinking. Things that make you go "hmmmm ..."
well, darlin, it IS a disease.

Unless your gonna be the one to go and tell the AMA, and about 1000 insurance companies, tens of thousands of addicitonologists, psycholosgists, medical doctors that it aint.
After all.....they dont know much about alcoholism, do they?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mr. Christian View Post
Um yep that nasty disease that make the bottle magically pour the hooch down the gullet of the drunk while they sleep.
You mean that one?

Yeah this is territory that has two sides and two opinions that a lot of people have.
Yup...thats the one!!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i have the two video series on addiction--hbo's and the bill moyers series--and i prefer those to the reality shows. i find i much prefer to hear recovering addicts speak of their experience of the disease, than watch unrecovered addicts suffering.

i believe the addict has a choice up to a point. but in stage 3 (late stage) addiction, my reading tells me the choice has disappeared and some form of intervention is required. this can be pragmatic intervention (family), circumstantial (prison) or divine.

my feeling is that once the addict in advanced addiction has descended into accompanying major depression, there is little chance of being able to "choose". ask any sober person with disabling major depression....some can't get out of bed to make it to the shower.

so...for me, choice depends on where the addict is in his or her progression.

and, if an addict HAS been in recovery and THEN relapses to use....well, he knows exactly what he needs to do.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Carol, great Time article. Thanks! I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged by what it said. Some day addicts (including a food addict like myself) will probably pop a pill and poof the urge will be gone. But now it's mystifying and discouraging.

Blue Jay, I could not agree more with you about choice/no choice. I do believe there is a point of no return, where the addiction has taken over so tightly that it is impossible for the addict to rationally make most decisions.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well Pink, yes I will go against the AMA.

Here. I will give you a link with some further info if you care to look.

Baldwin Research Institute -- Alcoholism: A disease of speculation

In the end we can keep making excuses, or we can change our own lives for the better.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I watched the 2nd episode (missed the 1st). It was pretty disturbing to me. I mean, these are obviously desperate people if they're willing to air their dirty laundry on TV like that. Some of them were clearly physically ill and others talked about very personal issues. I dunno... I have a bit of an ethical concern about this sort of thing being on TV. I'm all for freedom, but it just seems a bit unethical to me... a hard call really. On the one hand, it shows others how serious addiction is and how it effects even celebrities. On the other hand, I wonder if these people were really in a good enough place to consent in the first place. I have felt the same about that show, Intervention. Mostly, though, it's just depressing to me.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great, now I'm more confused. Thanks, Mr. C. for the link, seriously. They do boast of a very high success rate - 65%, compared to some very poor AA statistics. Is it true prior to the 1800s, there were no alcoholics? That doesn't seem believable, but I don't know at all.

I don't know what to believe, but I'll tell you this ... what we're doing isn't working.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Has anyone checked out this Time article?

How We Get Addicted - TIME

Carol, that's really fascinating. Thanks for sharing it.....lots of food for thought there.

Ahhhhh, the disease debate! It's been a while!

My friend Donna has diabetes. She has a disease. She didn't ask for it and she can't get rid of it and she has no choice in the matter. She has to take her insulin every day, or she will do terrible damage to her body and probably die.

She has a disease, and with that comes responsibility for continuing to treat her own disease, fight against it, and keep it from killing her & damaging the lives of the people who care about her.

An alcoholic who continues to drink is like -- to me -- a diabetic who refuses to take his medication, then skids closer and closer to death, and expects the world to make it all better because "they have a disease and can't help it". I would not stay with such a person, no matter what you call the disorder.

Just because you have a disease does not mean you're absolved of your responsibility for your own care and your own actions. Many proponents of the disease model don't agree.

I like the Time article a lot for that reason. Call it what you will, the brain chemistry's been changed and the key lies in learning how to repair it. Prayers that science continues to do its job......
Old 01-19-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
I I gotta say that I have a lot more sympathy for those who do NOT have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on their recovery -- those who don't have the resources for quality and committed detox/rehab/therapy, endless time off work to regroup, money to relocate away from the environment they used in.

Ordinary folks without well-off families get popped out of the four weeks they could afford at the Salvation Army facility , back into their same crappy home and neighborhood, and everyone says, "Okay -- now change!" I'm sure all recovery is incredibly hard, but I'm thinking it's a little easier when your rehab is a plush palace in Malibu staffed with state-of-the-art therapies and professionals where you can afford to stay as long as you need to.
Amen!