Coats!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coats!

Remember the thread at the start of the winter about addicts and coats? This was right about the time my AD went to the "sober house" and I bought her a almost new Gap coat at the thrift shop for $25. I washed it, she loved it, or so I thought.

It is now hanging in the closet with the leather jackets and suade(?) jackets that I never would let out of the house. Once again, she is out on the street with only what she smuggled out in her old soccer bag the night she stole my ATM card.:wtf2

Don't they get cold or do drugs warm you up? Doesn't she wonder about her stuff and wish for it, or is she just a zombie like I see on TV? I know the last time I picked her up what she looked like, and it was warm then. The visual images are very painful.

Just thinking....
susan
Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I'm so sorry for her and you. I'm sure she'll find a warm spot when she needs it, I hope it's a nice safe place!

Hugs and prayers
Old 01-18-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

((((Susan)))) she probably has a coat, was given one or found one she likes better...don't drive yourself crazy with the what ifs or visual images. It took me awhile to realize how resourceful my AD was when she was on the street. They know where to get stuff including winter coats.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Susan, My daughter had four different coats, all of which she told me were still in storage. She maintains that they still have the storage unit although I doubt it seeing as how she wore the same clothes for 4 months until I gave her some that were sitting at my house. At Thanksgiving I gave her an old coat of mine, and at Christmas she came over without a coat on. I gave her a nice coat for Christmas and I don't know if she has it now or not. My point is addicts really don't care what they wear or how they look when they are out there using. Megan was a perfectionist and would not wear anything that was not Abercrombie, American Eagle, or designer labeled. Addiction took care of that. We can't sit around and worry about what they are losing because they really don't care. Things that would drive us crazy do not even enter their radar. Kasey will do what she needs to do to survive and right now that survival is about drugs. Same with my Megan. I have given up trying to figure out the whys and now live with the reality of "It is what it is." Try not to visual things that you don't know are happening. When Megan came for Christmas, she was high, but she had on clean clothes, her hair looked nice and she was physically clean. She may be wearing dirty clothes and not showering or washing her hair right now, but I prefer to remember her as she looked at Christmas. That is the image I can live with. Hugs, Marle
Old 01-18-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When my ex left the house last September he left with nothing but the clothes on his back. The few times I saw him, he was wearing other peoples clothes. Active addicts just don't care about clothes. They only care about getting high. The only time he wanted his clothes was when he was trying to manipulate his way back into the house.

They trade drugs for things to wear sometimes. Or they steal or borrow them from other addicts. It's a lifestyle.

I have a storage closet full of his junk and a closet in my bedroom full of his clothes. I have a hamper full of his unmatched socks. It's been months! Now he is in prison. He's going to be there a long time. But still, I feel guilty about throwing his stuff away. Plus its inconvenient for me to throw his stuff away. Those boxes are heavy. I live in a condo building with no elevator. I can't haul those things up and down the stairs.

Sorry, I turned this into a vent about me. ;-)

My point is, she isn't that cold or she would be home banging on the door for her coat. She knows where her stuff is. Addicts are very resourceful. Their addiction hurts us more than it hurts them. And I'm sorry you have to store her stuff.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

(((Susan)))
Old 01-18-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello-Kitty ---- My ABF did the same thing to me. Leaving messages on my phone about how it's winter and he's human and he needs his clothes and shoes. How he's now working and on methadone and doing well .... he could stop by on his "lunch break" and pick up his clothes ...... then later I found out he was just trying to manipulate his way into the house ... he had plenty of clothes and was still shooting heroin.

I know he knows where to sell clothes to get $10 or $20 for dope so I've put him on ignore while I try to get my life back. It was hard for me not to give him his clothes at first, but then he's 40 years old and didn't take my (or my kids) well being into account when he sold/pawned all our valuables, stole what I wouldn't give him and spent thousands on dope last year.

Sorry .... I guess I needed to vent.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My son used to leave all the "good" clothes when he went out. He'd find clothes when he needed them, the Salvation Army was good for giving them something to keep warm in.

My son never froze to death in a Canadian winter, so my guess is your daughter will be okay too. They find drugs, they find a place to stay.

Sending big hugs to you because I know this really stinks.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((((Susan))))

Remember, A's are VERY resourceful at getting what they want/need. Sorry Kasey had to do more "research" and hope she hits bottom, but try to put the focus back on YOU, okay?

Luv ya!

Amy