My meeting at alanon

Old 01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My meeting at alanon

After i had that enlightning chat with my AH (the one about the lies, using, whos using, BLAH BLAH) I decided to get back to alanon. a few years ago i started to go.. but i felt angry, afterall it was his problem, not mine!! but that day, i was tired. Tired of running the hamster wheel. Tired of my focus alwaya being on him. Tired of the hurt inside, the crying for no reason, the isolating... i coulld go on but i won't. I decided i needed to do something, at least talk to people to vent, release my anger and frustration. So i went. the room was full of wonderful, loving people like yourselves. something i missed the first time around, b/c of my pride. We did a book study. Everyone took turns reading. when it was my turn I read my paragraph and in the middle.. i began to cry, I felt embarrassed to cry in front of these complete strangers, for no apparent reason... but then my mouth let out all the feelings i haven't been able to share with someone, the pain, admitting my husband was an addict, things of that nature. But then after i sniff my last sniffle, and wiped away the tears. I felt relieved, like i lost a hundred pounds or something! I decided i will go back next tuesday. and say hello again. thank you all for your words of encouragement and your kind listening ears. i take all your advice to heart. Thanx.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you got all that off your heart! Must have felt wonderful and I'm so glad it was such a good experience for you! Hugs!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What happens if you see someone you know at a meeting? You make it souind like a good idea but the thought of seeing someone I know scares me.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

by myself again,
The meetings are anonymous. What you hear or see there, stays there.
It goes no further than that room.

AND if for some reason you do se someone you know, know that they are there for similar reasons as your own for being there.

hugs,
Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Hundow,

So glad you went to the meeting. And rest assured, lots of us have cried in the meetings. And when I did, the people in there just loved me right through it. They understood the pain, fear, anger, tears because they have all been there. That is the most wonderful thing about a meeting. It's a place where you can feel at home, knowing you are all there for the same reason... you have some kind of relationship with an alcoholic/addict.

And by myself, do not worry about who is there. I have to admit I was doing the same thing before attending my first meeting. Who would see me? Who would I see? What would they think of me? What would the think of my AD if they knew it was her and her addiction that had gotten me there? If someone sees me there, will it ruin my "perfect" reputation?

Here's what I feel when someone new comes into the meeting. I feel compassion for them because I know they are scared. I feel proud of them for I know coming in that room was probably a hard decision. I feel heartache because I know they are hurting and just want their loved one "well". I feel excited for them because I KNOW they can learn through the meetings how to live a better way.

And one of our traditions states that anonymity is a very important part of our program. We place a very high value on keeping the names of those in attendance anonymous. You find a good meeting and you'll find a meeting where you can totally be yourself, say what you need to say and know it won't leave the room.

At the end of each meeting, someone says: "What you hear here, whom you see here, let it stay here."

Going to meetings saved my life. I hope you'll try one...or as we say please give us 6 meetings and then decide if you don't like us. If you're still miserable after 6 meetings, we'll gladly refund your misery.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

it really does work if you work it. It is all too heavy to hold it inside.
Glad you found a support group. It gets better when you go regularly and feel a part of the group.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you were able to have that release. It always feels good being around people who have been in similar circumstances. That's great that you are going back next week.

Hugs, Vanessa
Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Live support at meetings truly saved my sanity and my life.

We have a problem, there is no shame in doing something about it, like going to meetings. If I see anyone I know, especially someone new to the rooms, I make a point of letting them know that what is shared there, stays there.

I'm so glad that meetings are helping you too. It's amazing how that works, one codie helping another as we walk this path together.

Hugs