what would you write???

Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what would you write???

My son is now in rehab once again. he has made 30 days and has committed to six months with the program. since he left(for the program) i have not written him. he has written me once asking for assistance in getting his prescription transferred to the local pharmacy in that state.

as you can probably tell i have a lot of anger for what he has put me and the rest of our family through. part of me wants to really write and lower the boom. another part says he is in treatment and trying so cut some slack.

somehow i don't feel up to writing a "newsy' letter all lighearted. so is there a compromise? what tone do you set in that first letter? and by the way i am paying his rehab bill by borrowing in advance on my inheritance. i sort of want to say that to him to let him know the position he has put me and my family in.

bottom line......I am hurt, confused and angry. so do i just ignore or ackowledge these feelings? i am just plain tired of being lied to and given no answers. excuse me if I seem a little upset......any suggestions would really be appreciated. thanks in advance. dixie
Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

dixied,
Gosh it's so hard isn't it? We have to think before we even write a letter!

But, this may sound farfetched, but, I think you're anger is related to addiction, you're not really mad at your son, you're fed up with the disease.

I sure know what you're going through, went through the same thing with my oldest. I do remember writing in one letter that the money we gave him, was a loan, and someday...when he's rich and famous, we'd like to have it back.
Since then, I have kept a tally on a list on the fridge...(I can almost bet it will never happen, but there's alays hope.....)

Hugs,
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Dixied,

I understand how you are feeling. It took me a very long time to work through all those feelings...the anger, resentment, fear, guilt...oh yes, so many. But the good news is I think I've pretty much tamed them. I did it by going to meetings and reading on this board. There is NO WAY I could have ever gotten past all that if I hadn't had those two things in my life.

As far as writing your son, how about getting him a card. Could be a "thinking of you" card. That might be a good compromise between the letter you want to write vs. totally ignoring him. A card doesn't leave a whole lot of room for many words, so you could just write a short, generic note inside. Put a stamp on it, and send it on.

And then you can move on, at least for today. You know, we do that one day at a time. Try to get the focus back on you, Dixied.

I just know that I had to be working on myself while my AD was in rehab working on herself. I remember my sponsor telling me that I had to do everything I could to get myself in better shape for when she came home and/or got out. And thinking about how mad I was at my AD while she was in rehab didn't do me a bit of good.

Hugs and prayers for both you and your son,
Hangin' In
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

My daughter's counselor told me - small words, short paragraphs.

Hi Honey,

I love you. We miss you a lot - and wish you all the best.

Today was sunny - a real change from the snow!

Know you are in my prayers,

Love, Mom.

((hugs))

I was writing pages before they told me that. So I started just writing quick notes, and finding pretty cards or funny cards.... sometimes, I would just insert pictures of our dogs or a goofy cartoon.

Hope this helps.

(((hugs))))
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Does his rehab have family week/family day where you can discuss some of your resentments with him in the presence of a counselor?
If he is truly recovering and working the steps he will be getting to the one where he has to look at the wreckage of his past and make amends. If so, hopefully you will be at the top of the list.
I have learned to say what I think/feel face to face, which has been part of my own recovery to have open communication. therapists tells us to use " I " statements
from how we feel rather than "you did, this you did that, you always, you never, etc"
When your son gets healthier he will be better able to hear you and see what you have been through because of his addiction. He can't change the past, but hopefully he is learning how to make his future better, one day at a time.
I like the ideas stated above, that for now in his early stage of sobriety to just send
a short notice wishing him well. Save up the heavier stuff that weighs on your heart for a face-to-face.
I am angry and resentful of my son too. At least your son is in a program, mine is not. There is hope for your son to get well.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Write the letter to your son, the one that pours out all your feelings and then put it away in a drawer and buy him a nice card with a simple message, "I love you". Telling your son how you feel right now may not get through to him. The words will just be wasted on him. It is okay to feel anger, sadness, etc. But he is not the outlet for these words. Find a meeting. The people there will understand what you are feeling. Come here and vent because we have all walked in your shoes and understand. Hugs, Marle
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Write the letter to your son, the one that pours out all your feelings and then put it away in a drawer and buy him a nice card with a simple message, "I love you". Telling your son how you feel right now may not get through to him. The words will just be wasted on him. It is okay to feel anger, sadness, etc. But he is not the outlet for these words. Find a meeting. The people there will understand what you are feeling. Come here and vent because we have all walked in your shoes and understand. Hugs, Marle

I've been writing to my brother, I have all my feelings and frustrations together in a note book, right from the day his drinking 'came out in the open'

It helps me to write them down in black and white, and I can also read back and see how far I've come.

I think we need to let the feelings out, but it made me feel worse to tell him and have my feelings ignored. Writing helped me, I hope you find a way to help you.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Write the one you wish you could write for us and post it here!!!

that way you can vent and we can identify with the feelings - and no harm done.

I like the greeting card solution.

I think you can gently let him know his addiction has been difficult for you, though, in a sentence or less. when I was using and young and putting my parent thru hell, I had no idea how anything I did really effected them.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

IMO let it go, dont' bother! I just cleaned out a box my AD left from the move back. In it were all the letters her family had written this time in recovery, some unopened, some opened and thrown in the box. All the love and heartfelt hope and encouragement didnt' mean a damn thing.

Save the postage unless as stated above maybe a thinking of you i love you card. Don't put too much energy into it, it only brings you pain and they dont' care!
:codiepolice
susan
Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well, I thank everyone for the thoughts. so appreciated. so I think I am going to vent this a.m. it seems i am picking up the wreckage my son's addiction has created. i know many of you may not believe this but my son has been in addiction for YEARS and we didn't know. No one did......why? because he did not live at home although he worked in our family business and we saw him daily we just didn't pick up on the signals. Why? because he has documented sleep apnea (which accounted for the lethargy) he has ADD and finds it hard to focus, to stay on task.......so the medical problems camoflagued the real problem and of course the drug possibility was not even in our minds. Why? because he was neatly dressed, came to work on time and then back to his own home. He had a disposable income of $800.00 per month. Being single he used that not to save but as drug $$$,unknown to us.

All this time he dated a lovely girl (who had no idea) married her, lied to everyone involved. When the addiciton came full focus, from a binge we had an intervention with a counselor present. He urged the newly married wife to get an annulment. Of course she believed it wasn't "that bad" and promptly got herself pregnant two weeks later.

By that time my son had been fired from our family business.

Fast forward to binges, lying, stealing two rehabs, working on the third. We are now in the position of helping the daughter-in-law, the baby and paying for rehab. The daughter-in-law says she is stressed and worried, doesn't know what she wants to do. I feel for her but she has a paid for home (thanks to us) my parents pay for the childcare plus give her $$$ every month and her car is paid for (thanks to borrowing on the paid for home) and then now the bills my son created I am paying the minimum amount so the wife won't get her wages garnished. I am leaving the majority for son to clean up. I am doing this so the wife won't have her $$$ she works for taken away.

My son says it will do no good to discuss his tabloid life.......which I consider a cop out. But he has stolen, lied, cheated, misrepresented himself in every way.

I am ashamed to say it but right now I am to the point of not caring exactly if he makes it or not. I am worn out. He writes me and says this......so and so is here(in rehab) and Mr. J. (an attorney) was helpful in fixing it to where this person came here to rehab instead of prison. Does he think I care about that? Why couldn't he say he was just thankful to be there himself instead of going on about someone like that? ( I don't even know who he was talking about) and really don't care. He has expressed no thanks for the chance of rehab. He just said he was relieved to go and knew he needed to be there.. And to me that makes me think he might just be trying to get "under the radar."

He is six hours away. They have no certified counselors. It is more like a boot camp, a working farm. So when he is discharged there is no structured after care program....but of course that is down the road.

I do want him to have a better life. I am just tired of the wreckage.....thanks for taking time to read this. I have been alone with these feelings for a long time. I travel a lot and meetings are hard for me to make. Is there an online meeting for parents out there anywhere? Thanks again and I am sorry if this is hard to follow. The words just come pouring out........thanks, dixied
Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dixied,

Not stop that apologizing. I understand. I've been there. Not exactly with a son, but with an AD who also was a liar, manipulator and ungrateful person. That was not the daughter I raised, or so I thought. But I would question myself and get so mad at her because I taught her to be an honest, responsible, appreciative person.

Then addiction came to live in our home and the daughter I thought I knew was no longer there. Dixied, you are seeing what addiction does to a person. I learned real quick like that rehab and recovery does not equal decent and mature behavior. That comes VERY, VERY slowly to all of us who work a recovery program.

If your son stays with his recovery, he will come into being the honest and decent person you thought you knew. And you have absolutely no control over whether he does that or not.

Now you do have control over your feelings about all this. And let me tell you this. No one could have been more angry and resentful than I was. But when I started going to my meetings and listening to the people on this board who had something I wanted.....peace in the midst of addiction... I started getting better.

I learned to give my AD the dignity to live her life. Sure, I didn't like how she was acting. I hated her awful attitude. I thought she should at least be grateful that we were being so supportive. That's about the time that I started hearing at my meetings to let her work her program and detach ... with love. Oh, the "with love" part was hard because I wanted to pinch her head off sometimes.

Dixied, I realized I had to save MY life and the best way to do that was to do what I learned in my recovery .... to let go (ok, TRY and let go), to detach, to offer love and support without telling her what I thought, to let her and her HP work it out, to realize she had to do her recovery on her time frame, to get the focus off of her and TO GET A LIFE FOR ME.

I know you are angry, resentful and the whole rest of it. But the longer you keep your focus on him, you will continue to feel like this. As I said at a meeting the other night, "As long as I have my focus on those that aren't living like I want them to live, I am not at peace." And Dixied, believe you me, I have to remind myself of this EVERYDAY. I have to work MY program everyday, realizing I am powerless over my AD.

There are no guarantees Dixied, but the way it was at my home was when I got out of the way, I mean totally out of the way so my AD's HP could get to her, things started getting better for her and me.

Hugs and prayers because I know how hard this is.

Hangin' In
Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

anvil,

you are right about so much. I guess I want him to acknowledge the chaos he has caused and the position he has put innocent people in. I guess I'd like for him just to be honest just this one time and tell me how all this started. I'd like for him to sincerely tell me he is sorry. And I'd like for him to tell me if he thinks psychiatric help would be of any benefit because surely his brain cannot be working properly and it must be damaged. And Anvil, I want to ask why he hasn't even written to ask about his child........maybe he is too afraid his soon to be ex wife is going to let him have it. He had no funds to provide for her and the baby and of course that fell in my lap to do. Gosh Anvil, reading this I REALLY want a lot don't I? And you're right none of it wil probablyl ever come to pass........thanks for letting me vent to you. I do appreciate your reply. I am just exasperated by what is left behind for me to pick up and do.....and in some of it I don't have a choice. I can't let an innocent grandchild suffer while his dad is in rehab.......one last thing.......my son said he wanted to "go back" to college for his master's degree in architecture. I wanted to say to him......
1. Who do you think will pay for it?
2. Where do you plan to live?
3. Who is going to pay for child support?
I just wanted to say....join the real world. That ship sailed a long time ago. The day you picked up drugs Grow up you have responsibility now......the major one staying clean and sober.........that's what i mean when I say he can't even think rationally....dixie
Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dixied,
Everyone has given you such wise advice, there's nothing I can add except to say your anger is valid. You've been lied to, stolen from and all the other cr@p an addict does. But write it down and send him the greeting card (Great suggestion) And do something nice for yourself

Prayers....
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Dixie, sounds like you've reached YOUR bottom, and that's a good thing. I'm glad your son is in rehab. I used to spend a lot of energy being hurt, angry, and disappointed with my AD until I understood the disease. My AD is not in a program and I try not to wonder when, if ever she will ever choose to get well. I have learned without judgement to speak my truth, to own my feelings about how her disease has impacted me. I also know it is a waste of time for me to try to get her to 'see' anything or to try to love her sober as long as she is using. Knowing the enemy (addiction) and taking care of yourself IS your best defence. oh, and coming here LOTS, of course...
grateful
Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dixied View Post
I guess I want him to acknowledge the chaos he has caused and the position he has put innocent people in. I guess I'd like for him just to be honest just this one time and tell me how all this started. I'd like for him to sincerely tell me he is sorry. And I'd like for him to tell me if he thinks psychiatric help would be of any benefit because surely his brain cannot be working properly and it must be damaged.
Dixied, you are so like me in this respect. I just wanted my AD to come to me and apologize and apologize and apologize for all the stuff she had done to make ME suffer. I waited, I waited, and I waited ... and this was while she was in recovery, doing good. Good grief, couldn't she see she SHOULD come to me and tell me how sorry she was for all the horrible decisions, for all the pain and suffering she caused ME?

Dixied, their recovery happens on their timing. If your son does get clean/sober, you may or may not get the apologies you are so badly wanting. There are no guarantees about what he will do. But right now he just isn't capable of being honest yet.

Now there are some things you can do on your end. My recovery taught me that I had to go on with my life and not base my happiness on what someone else is or isn't going to do. I was told to look at my side of the street and see where I needed to make improvements. Bottom line: Get the focus on to me and off of her. Work on me. I didn't want to hear that, but I was at such a low I was willing to listen to someone else and do it their way. When I started focusing on me, my life began to get better. And my daughter began taking care of her recovery.

my son said he wanted to "go back" to college for his master's degree in architecture. I wanted to say to him......
1. Who do you think will pay for it?
2. Where do you plan to live?
3. Who is going to pay for child support?
I just wanted to say....join the real world. That ship sailed a long time ago. The day you picked up drugs Grow up you have responsibility now......the major one staying clean and sober.........that's what i mean when I say he can't even think rationally....dixie
Hm, let's see. Since my AD has been in recovery, she's had about 10 career choices and many, many plans. I've learned to just listen and encourage her and tell her, "I'm sure you'll figure it all out, honey." And leave it at that. My sponsor (22 years sober and 23 in Al Anon) says: "We alcoholics/addicts are fast starters and slow finishers."

Hang in Dixied. You'll make it.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 01-17-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Originally Posted by marle View Post

I have a drawer full of frustrations. It helps to write it down. You may not feel this way in a few weeks or months, especially if your son does well and remains sober. You may regret sending the letter but you'll never regret writing it and putting it in a drawer.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((((((Dixied))))))))))

Nothing to add. All great responses. Just sending support and prayers
to you and your family.

Linda
Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by rahsue View Post
I have a drawer full of frustrationS.......................you'll never regret writing it and putting it in a drawer.
I love this quote.........I keep coming across all the letters and stuff I have written for the last four years; some sent, most not. I want to throw them out beause they remind me of a painful time, but they also represent my road to freedom and some peace.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think that a letter about your hurt would be a mistake. I prefer to talk about issues like this in person and not in a letter because he might read the tone as more angry and bitter than you intended.

During the relapse preceding my step-daughter's entrance to her current rehab, she said a lot of very hurtful things, especially to her mom. We just saw her. Her mom brought those things up and she said she was sorry she had said them.

You're no longer on your own here. If it's a good rehab, they are making him face the things he has done to the people around him. Let them do their job. Get to al anon where you can vent about these things.