Notices

The "tide" finally lifted...for awhile anyway

Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Post The "tide" finally lifted...for awhile anyway

Hi everyone

Well, having experienced a prolonged and absolutely hellish and agonizing bout of daily alcohol-withdrawal induced SEVERE depression in which it felt like I was having every last vestige of the "feel good" brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) sucked out of my brain by an industrial-strength vaccume cleaner - leaving a shell of a human being in it's wake, I resorted to trying a newer drug known as Wellbutrin (buproprion hydrochloride). Wellbutrin is a Dopamine/Norepinephrin Reuptake Inhibitor (DNRI) as opposed to a Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI).

I swear, within 1/2 a day it's like I had just found Jesus or something. The dark cloud of depression lifted, the disco lights came on in my head and I felt like I had just been reborn. From there on, I woke up happy and went to bed happy. I felt healthy, young, strong, motivated and full of vigor. Life was a great big beach ball and I was ready to play. It's almost as if I had just imagined the depression all along because I felt so unbelievably good...normal.

Then, today at about 3:00PM (my third day) I began to feel myself crash just a little bit. I felt a little "less" happy-go-lucky than I had on previous days. I was far from depressed but I just did'nt feel as good as I had been feeling and so this lead me to believe that for whatever reason, my long sought after "magic bullet" had failed me and I was begining a long and painful descent into the abyss once again.

I had also read that this drug did things to a person's libido that were just unbelievable and although this was not the reason I chose to take it, I though it might be an extra side benefit. Well, it was just the opposite.

Anyway, I guess the point of all this drama is to get some opinions on here from others who have been on Wellbutrin due to their alcohol-withdrawal induced depression (or ANY type of depression) and find out what type of experiences they had. Anyone ever take this stuff before and what was it like for you?.

IHaveChanged
Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Your post made me laugh, sorry.

I don't take wellbutrin but I do take antidepressants and have for years. My depression came years before my drinking so I know I needed to treat it. I have never gotten any kind of euphoric feeling from antidepressants. What they do for me is level the playing field. I am on par with 'normal' people. I still have down days, but the difference is that now I know, without a doubt, the down will not last and it never does. I will NEVER willingly go back to life without this medication, for it was a dark, empty place.

Oh, as for the libido, no problems with my medication but I know it's a common side-effect. I should add that I had to try 3 different meds and then 3 different dosages to get the right one for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did take it to quit smoking last year.
2 or so months... twice a day.

I had not used anti depressants for years.

My reaction? Ho Hum
All I noticed was exra vivid dreams.

I quit abruptly out of ignorance
then I found one was to taper off.
Again...Ho Hum nothing.

I still smoke