Canadian drug victim sues dealer

Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From BBC.com

Crystal methamphetamine is highly addictive
A Canadian woman has successfully sued the dealer who sold her an illegal street drug that put her in a coma.
Sandra Bergen, 23, suffered a heart attack and spent 11 days in a coma after taking crystal methamphetamine.

Ms Bergen said Clinton Davey had known the drug was highly addictive and dangerous but sold it to make money.

Mr Davey refused to name his source of the drug, prompting the Saskatchewan judge to reject his defence - that Ms Bergen had taken the drug voluntarily.

'Hit drug dealers'

Ms Bergen is seeking $50,000 (£25,000) in compensation. A date for a hearing to determine damages has not been set.

"I sued him for negligence... for selling me drugs and getting me hooked when I was vulnerable," Ms Bergen told the French news agency AFP.

She said she hoped her case would inspire others to sue drug dealers.

"I think it's a different way to hit drug dealers financially and that's where it will really hurt them," she told CTV news.

Ms Bergen and Mr Davey were friends from childhood.

In her statement of claim, she said he "knew the drug was highly addictive" and that his dealing was not only "for the purpose of making money but was also for the purpose of intentionally inflicting physical and mental suffering" on her.

In his defence, Mr Davey had argued that Ms Bergen "voluntarily consumed illegal drugs, thus contributing to her own condition."

"She assumed the risks," he said.

Ms Bergen became addicted to drugs when she was 18, CTV news said. She overdosed in 2004 in the province of Saskatchewan shortly before her 20th birthday.

In hospital she was hooked up to a respirator. She said she suffered lung, heart, kidney and liver failure and may never be able to have children.

She said she has since stopped taking drugs
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My son had a good friend that overdosed and died. Because the drug was mailed to him, the people that sent it are responsable.

It is hard to believe that a person can order perscriptions on-line.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ridiculous.
why can't people just accept life's lessons instead of trying to blame or be compensated?
she should feel lucky to be alive. and like an idiot for suggesting the outcome was a surprise or something.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I agree that people need to take responsibility for their actions, but if I could sue the person that sold to my son i suely would and then give the money to shelter or even a half way house. If we could do this all the time maybe there wouldn't be so many dealers. Farfetched as it sounds.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I would certainly like to sue my h's dealer for damages and I am sure his kids would too...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rock drummer

come on

what a joke man , she is her own boss . No one made her take it. She to blame no one else.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Well, my first thought is "she can't have children.. THANK GOODNESS!!!!"

After that I sort of have to laugh. Getting slapped with a $50,000 settlement wouldn't make a dent in most higher up drug dealers.. and how the heck does she expect that restitution to get paid if this guy is the end dealer? That isn't where the $$ is.

Just because someone is slapped with a civil penalty does not mean they victim ever collects.. especially if the "bad guy" is in jail.

The whole thing is bizarr and not a little idiotic!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gun makers are sued, Big Tobacco companies, Mcdonald for hot coffee spillage and for helping to make people fat but drug dealers for ruining and taking lives have no punitive damages to pay?

MyFox Dallas | Man Arrested on Murder Charges in Overdose Death of Teen

Irving oolice have arrested a suspect who they say supplied a 16-year-old overdose victim with the heroin that caused her death.

Authorities say Michael Puente, 19, supplied Ana Rojas with the drug.

Rojas was found unconscious by emergency crews in September of 2007 at an apartment on Pioneer Dr. She was later pronounced dead at Baylor Hospital.

Narcotics investigators determined that Puente was the supplier, and he was arrested on Jan. 10.

Puente is being held in the Irving Jail on $50,000 bond. He is charged with murder.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

if you're an adult, you are responsible for yourself. if you make the decision to use heroin, then you make the decision to deal with the consequences. it's 2008, not 1908. kids know that you can OD, they know drugs are bad, they know better. they do. and they're adults, no matter how you slice it.

if we're not able to sue bars for drunk drivers, i don't see why you can sue dealers for ODs.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In Texas you can sue bars and whoever is responsible for serving the alcohol in DWI cases where injuries occur. Now that you mention it, seems like a double standard.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sure would love to sue my AH's "buddy" who had supplied him this summer. But I am happy with the fact that he instead supplied his "buddy's" name and info to the police. This so called "buddy" also supplied to the high schools. So I told AH when he confessed to me about the drugs for 3 months that if he wanted a chance, and only one chance that he had to give the cops the info. Sounds harsh maybe but if it helped even one kid or even one family then it was worth it.
Nikki
Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I can see how adults should be accountable for their own actions - but as a daughter, sister, wife, mother, and friend of addicts/alcoholics - sometimes I could be almost willing to try anything to get the message out to the entire world how devastating and how addicting this stuff can be -
Because reading about it in a pamphlet or watching some Hollywood movie is NOT the same as living it or seeing how it affects a real family that lives on your street.

so don't really have an opinion either way - just wishing, praying, hoping that somehow a message could be heard that would stop another person and their family from being devastated by this disease.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by fisherpaul View Post
ridiculous.
why can't people just accept life's lessons instead of trying to blame or be compensated?
she should feel lucky to be alive. and like an idiot for suggesting the outcome was a surprise or something.
Have YOU ever tried crystal meth? Or been sold crystal meth by a drug dealer who tells you how great it is? Have you walked in her shoes?

I find it interesting when we tell others how they should feel.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I would personally not consider suing my meth dealer. But I wouldn't judge someone who did. It's not my place.
I know how dealers work, it's their "JOB" to get you hooked. That is what they do.
They work on a system to get newbies hooked and to get addicts to "Keep coming back".
That is how they stay in business. So unless you've been there you don't know.

You can say all you want, if you're an adult, you are responsible for yourself.
But addicts die everyday, why do they die, because of what drug dealers give them,
illegal drugs. Drug dealers kill people. Drug dealers give "Kids Candy" at age 13.
Big Sis's daughter was getting Meth from a DRUG DEALER at age what 13?
Tell me she should be responsible for getting hooked.
I'd sue that dealer of those girls in a heartbeat.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

interesting concept...
I was 14 when I started using, way before the legal age of consent.
Of course none of the people that were "there" at the time have any money...because they are all still practicing drug addicts and alcoholics...
so it would really only be pointless and end up costing me money, as well as pi$$ing those people off.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok, here's my question....so if they're dealing "illegal" drugs....the money they have that could possibly pay the lawsuit is drug money right? Wouldn't that be seized the minute they word was out they were dealing in the first place? What would they have to pay the lawsuit with? I may be missing something here.....

My vote would be to just put 'em outta business. i.e. get them busted? Send 'em to jail.....besides, would a big fat settlement really give you back your "unaddicted" daughter, significant other, or whoever? No amount of "money" can do that.....what's the point? How about putting those thoughts and dollars to work in a more widespread or easier accessible treatment programs? Just some food for thought?????
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

I don't know if this should be turned into a "who's to blame issue" and whether or not certain parties involved should be sued...
The fact of the matter is EVERYONE has the right and ability to sue whoever they want. Whether money damages can be recovered from such a lawsuit is up to the decision of the courts. Most people are reluctant to sue because they either have no time to deal with it or they don't think they will win.
If you think of it this way...If you owned a restaurant that specializes in serving blowfish, which can be poisonous if not cut correctly, and I CHOSE to eat at your restaurant then is it my responsibility and my fault if you served me some bad seafood that later causes me to become violently ill? I have prior knowledge of what can happen....where is this line drawn? Opinions don't matter...just the facts and if the facts can win your case then in the end that's what counts. I mean...look at the case of the hot coffee....who would've known?....if she had blamed herself like everyone else would've then she wouldn't have gotten all of that money. Personally, I thought it was a frivolous lawsuit but now I wish I had poured some of that coffee on myself and done the same thing.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

"drive all blames into one."

if the oven's too hot, get out of the kitchen. it's your choice (yes, even at 13-the age of reason begins for most humans around 10) to put a substance in your body, no matter what. it's your choice to eat raw eggs, snort heroin, drink alcohol, shoot meth, etc.

i'm surprised that the dealer didn't countersue the parents for not giving the child enough drug use prevention education.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Well...I have stood out in my driveway and told drug dealers that they are trespassing on my property and that if they return that I may have to take action. I have told them that I do not use crack and I do not want it being sold on my property. They seem to have gone my H seems to go meet them in a some other place place. I believe I have a right to keep trespassers off my property and to sue them if they do not comply....
Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emimily View Post
"drive all blames into one."

if the oven's too hot, get out of the kitchen. it's your choice (yes, even at 13-the age of reason begins for most humans around 10) to put a substance in your body, no matter what. it's your choice to eat raw eggs, snort heroin, drink alcohol, shoot meth, etc.

i'm surprised that the dealer didn't countersue the parents for not giving the child enough drug use prevention education.
I think for a 13 year-old, I would have to say that they lack the ability to make "informed consent", in the same way that I sure as hell would press charges if someone violated a 13 year-old in a sexual way. They are being preyed upon by the dealer, plain and simple.