Notices

Struggling

Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Hi All,
Have been doing ok recently, but I am getting really bad cravings to go out and have a major drink. I try to put it to the back of my mind as I have been doing but it keeps bursting into my mind!! It`s like dropping a droplet of ink into a clear glass of water, suddenly making it all cloudy.

Am just over 2 months clean and doing ok just recently I can`t seam to think of anything else.

Any ideas..?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Windsurfer,

The cravings will pass and they will ease up as time goes by.

Have you done other things, besides stopping drinking, to help your recovery? I have found that exercise helps and doing things that help me to get outside of myself.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

No mention of meetings...AA and/or NA...combination of both!?! Definitely a helpful option, if you'd be willing to try. It certainly can't hurt.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

If you are not involved in a program of recovery I would recommend checking one out. I was not able to stay quit on my own but with a program of recovery I will have 7 years come March. Here is a link to some recovery programs just in case you want to check them out.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi wind -

I couldn't quit alone.
Were it not for the Program of Alcoholics Anonymous and the Twelve Steps -
I wouldn't be here today.

As far as the obsession thinking goes - it sounds more like a habitual thing?
we become 'rainman' when we stop drinking - maybe time to either settle into the ole' schedule without deviation, or step OUT of it ... one or the other?

I dunno - sounds like a 'being in the moment' thing to me.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i went out after 24 + yeaes of soberity. why? becauce i kept thinking about drinking again, and convinced myself that i could handle it. i was not in any program, alone and feeling sorry for myself.
i know now that if i dont keep to my A A program i will go back out and die!
today i have a way of life that keeps me sober.the fellowship of A A the 12 steps, and most of all my H P.
i have surrendered my will and life over to HIM. HE gives me the strength to live today without alcohol, that's all i have is today and it is in HIS hands not mine.
find a fellowship of people just like yourself.AA/NA/SR ect. share and listen to thoes who have walked the path before you.they will share thier Experiance, Strength, and Hope with you.
until then just dont drink or drug and good things will happen
Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Force Is Strong In This One

Hey man, stay strong
Maybe, if if its possible when you get these cravings, do something physical like go for a walk, gym or swimming. I know these arent taylor made for cravings of this nature like meetings are but they've been helping me recently just thought id share
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The cravings will come and go then after a while they do pass.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

how are you doing today, windsurfer? please check in.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been toying with the idea of going to AA but still not sure whether it is for me.

It`s just that I can`t imagine not ever having a drink again. Don`t get me wrong I really don`t want to go there as I just can`t had have one drink....!

But it`s hard, you know....

I`m sort of having to rethink everything about my life socially. Drinking use to be such a big part of it. I can`t handle even thinking about going into pubs and clubs yet, way to early...

I guess you just question what you are doing in your mind, and start to question if I really did have a problem..That questioning I know is the addiction talking, I must be stronger.

I have been trying to keep busy and push out all the bad thoughts, I think I will be ok. I have come too far now to give up.

Take care all xx
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Windsurfer, it sounds like you are really getting some insight.

Yes, it's your disease talking to you and talking loudly because it fears that you're winning.

And, recovery involved a lot of changes in my life. It isn't easy, but it's all good. And try to not focus at not drinking ever again. Just stick with the day today and get through that and you'll be fine.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna,
Thank means so much to me, I really mean it. You give such amazing votes of confidence...it feels as though you are by my side and inside my head, helping me through this, if that makes sence?:ghug3
Old 01-11-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Windsurfer,

Your note to Anna was obviously from the heart. You said “it feels as though you are by my side....". Imagine a place where people who understand your cravings and indecision about "quitting forever" are ACTUALLY by your side! A place where people who are in various stages of beating their alcoholism and changing their lives can sit with you over a cup of coffee and not just give advice, but LISTEN to you.

I found just such a place, and even though I did not think "it was for me" I was out of options, so I walked into the room. That was 8 plus years ago and I keep coming back because I can't imagine continuing to beat the booze without people just like Anna "RIGHT BY MY SIDE!"

Just my opinion,

Jon