Ready and Scared for Al-Anon

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready and Scared for Al-Anon

Tonight I made an appointment with a counsellor for myself. A few months ago AH and I went to the doctor together to try and sort out my issues with his depression/drinking. He does realize there's a problem but he see-saws between what (if anything) he will do about it.

Well he's been sleeping pretty much for the last 3 days because of a bad cold but also I think because he's been at the bottle. My AH doesn't drink every day nor does he become intoxiated every time he drinks but he does hide and he does deny. He's also ruined several special occasions with his drinking even when he's promised he would only have "a few."

So this earlier appointment led me to go on anti-depressants for a while to help me cope and we were given some support numbers. I never did make the call because of course, something else always got in the way but being here, I'm now determined so for that I thank you all.

I'm not the type of person to share all kinds of things with others. I'm fairly quiet in real life and besides the individual counselling I've decided to give Al-Anon a try. I've done some reading but to be honest, I'm really quite scared to go. If anybody has any tips or advice on what to expect, what I can learn from the meetings it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sure somebody who has been here longer will be around soon, I am fairly new to all this myself, just wanted to say .. good for you. I was scared my first time, but I did it and was so glad.

thinking of you

shaklarris
Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I am excited for you! Have you found the meeting you want to go to? Instead of going off an internet list I would like to recommend that you call the phone number in your area because then you will be sure to get the most current information. I have read a few times about people finally getting there and there is no longer a meeting. That said, you do not have to speak. There will be a reading or topic for discussion and members take turns “sharing”. What was confusing to me in the beginning was that there was not much talk about the alcoholics. Al Anon is for you. Best of luck…I hope you go forward. You have nothing to lose and as they will tell you they will happily refund your misery if you decide not to stay.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Dark No need to be scared! Breathe....1....2....3

I felt a bit apprehensive when I first went to....it is a natural feeling-The first couple of meetings I went to I just sat there and listened! You do not have to "share" until you are ready!! So do not feel that you need to do this in order to go to a meeting!

I'm proud of you! This is a huge step....and a great one!

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on making some positive decisions to save your sanity and life.

Al-anon is the best thing that has even happened to me in my life. The love and support we give each other there is priceless.

Last night we had a small meeting, with 2 new comers. I was the chair person and I always try to give a special welcome to them, to make them feel at home. You arent obligated to speak if you dont want...just listen. When you hear people going thru the same thing you are...you will be comforted like you cant believe. After the meeting you wont be scared anymore.

Let us know how it goes! big hugs to you!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you for deciding to go!! I have been trying to get myself to a meeting, but I too am a bit apprehensive. I believe it will help, though, so maybe I will get enough courage to go this week as well. Let us know how it goes!!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't remember ever reading about anyone who got bit or nothing at an AlAnon meeting.

Go ahead. They are in the same boat you are and all you need to do is listen.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Barbara52;1633125]I don't remember ever reading about anyone who got bit or nothing at an AlAnon meeting.

[QUOTE]

Whew! Thank goodness! I feel better already!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cmc

Here's a link that will give you some more information about the program.
Welcome to Al-Anon and Alateen

The first time I walked in the door, I felt at home right away. We get and receive so much by sharing what is called ESH- Experience, Strength and Hope.
Let us know how things go for you.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

We have a saying, " if you don't like the program we will refund your misery"
They also say to go to @ least 6 mtgs. before you determine if program is right for you.
Besides going to mtgs. if you work the program - it will work for you in ways you can't even imagine right now.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

I will never regret the day I walked into Al-anon. It gave me the strength to get through anything, and experience every ounce of happiness that life offered. Good luck, Magic