Just curious,
Did anyone here have an intervention?
If so, what was it like?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't.

I wish I had.

I have watched the A & E show Interventions and they really do seem to work sometimes.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I had one person who kind of threatened me. lol, Someone went to him about me.
So it was kind of like one. But I went to him also.
So yes and no.
I was on the way to wanting to help. Since then he's come to me thinking I've done it
since but I haven't.
If I had not gone to him, he was about to go to my parents. Then I would have I'm sure.

It would have been a lot of yelling and threats though, I don't think anyone would have been calm or organized about it at all.

I'm usually the one who is organized and good about doing stuff like that. No one would have expected me to be hooked on meth, they would have been so shocked and just not known how to handle it at all.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doesn't use this site anymore

Do your parents know now that you are an addict?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

They do not know that I was addicted to meth at all, or that I even ever did it.
They know about my long battle with my eating disorder and bipolar/depression issues.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I guess I sort of did. Not a sit-down, friends and family in the room type of intervention, but a kind of one. I was recently going through a rough patch, and on a particularly bad day two of my friends who I'd been talking to called my mother. I confronted one of the friends, I felt she didn't have the right to call my mother as we weren't close. She's a woman I respect greatly, and because I was an ungrateful ass to her I lost her friendship. Only then did I really get that I need help. She'll never speak to me again, but I'm eternally thankful for her "intervention."
Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would classify that as an intervention.
You gotta be brave to go to someone's parents and inform them
that their child has a substance abuse problem.
I don't think I could do that to one of my friends, even if I really cared
about them alot.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done-With-It View Post
They do not know that I was addicted to meth at all, or that I even ever did it.
They know about my long battle with my eating disorder and bipolar/depression issues.

That's amazing that you could keep that a secret. I'm pretty sure my
whole family know of my problems/drug use.
Are they supportive when it comes to your depression/eating disorders?
or do they just basically tell you what to do and how to get better?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brittany Marie View Post
I would classify that as an intervention.
You gotta be brave to go to someone's parents and inform them
that their child has a substance abuse problem.
I don't think I could do that to one of my friends, even if I really cared
about them alot.
My mom knew, they just felt that I was in a place where I might be a danger to myself. That she didn't know.

It was the loss of a friend, not the fact that she called my mother, that was the wake-up call.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow.
It really doesn't seem fair that sometimes wake up calls such as these have a consequence, such as losing a friend or losing something else (dignity maybe?)
I'm sorry that happened to you.
But I guess if thing's like this happened, we'd never learn anything.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that happened to you.
I'm not sorry. If it takes the loss of a friend, that's what it takes. It's gonna be worth it.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

That's amazing that you could keep that a secret. I'm pretty sure my
whole family know of my problems/drug use.
Are they supportive when it comes to your depression/eating disorders?
or do they just basically tell you what to do and how to get better?
No one really ever figured out that I had a meth problem. I was pretty good at hiding it. It was till the end that I started to spiral out of control. I stopped at one point and was doing good then arghh found a bag on the sidewalk outside of Nordstrom's dept. store (of all places) & relapsed. My therapist who I saw twice a week didn't even know. I was good. I did mostly bumps, just to stay really thin & stay awake.
People knew something was wrong when I tried to quit, I would go into horrible depressions, and I was too scared to ask for help, so I just would get more when people got "to mad" @ me cuz of the depression, till the meth quit working completely. I was suicidal, scared as hell, didn't want to put my parents through "Another thing", I already did the ED, the bipolar, the suicide, I couldn't do Meth now. I wanted to just do it on my own or I was going to end it.
I tried NA, wasn't for me, then I found SR on Nov. 14 05 and I never did another line after that. I did a lot of other work, I mean, lol.. i worked my ass off, told my therapist, did Smart, went to some CMA meetings, was on this site 24/7, but that was my last line...

My parents will never know. I've put them through enough. My poor mom worries about my bipolar, depression, and ED way to much. I will never ever do Meth again as long as she's alive. The day she dies, I worry about myself.
(I will probably lock myself up or something, I dunno)
But I will never do it again. I'm done with it. I know in my heart and soul, dont care what anyone says. I know myself.

oh btw, they are supportive of my ED, but try and act like it's not there.
It's hard for them... All of it is.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Brittany,

How is your family with your stuff?

Is there a reason why you asked about Interventions?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow. well I can understand most of that.
The reason I don't tell my mom about thing's is to protect her from being hurt.
She worries way too much and seeing as I am now the only child, all her focus is on me.
I think all of that would be hard on any parent. I know my mom was so blind and naive when it came to the things I was doing to myself. Parents dont like to think the worst of their children.

My family are very supportive and helpful. I hardly ever talk about it with them, sometimes I will talk about it with my dad, he will ask me how progress is with quitting smoking etc. My mom has to deal with it the most. It's only us 2 in the house so if anything happens to me, she will know about it pretty much straight away.
(No one apart from my mom knows that I have a problem with alcohol)

There isn't a specific reason as to I asked about interventions. I just want to hear about people's experiences. Whether they're interventions have worked etc.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Wow. well I can understand most of that.
The reason I don't tell my mom about thing's is to protect her from being hurt.
She worries way too much and seeing as I am now the only child, all her focus is on me.
I think all of that would be hard on any parent. I know my mom was so blind and naive when it came to the things I was doing to myself. Parents dont like to think the worst of their children.

My family are very supportive and helpful. I hardly ever talk about it with them, sometimes I will talk about it with my dad, he will ask me how progress is with quitting smoking etc. My mom has to deal with it the most. It's only us 2 in the house so if anything happens to me, she will know about it pretty much straight away.
(No one apart from my mom knows that I have a problem with alcohol)

There isn't a specific reason as to I asked about interventions. I just want to hear about people's experiences. Whether they're interventions have worked etc.
LOL, Our stories sound very similiar, the way we are with our Mom's. I like to protect my Mom also.
My parents live about 300 miles away.
I didn't see them when I was doing it. It was only on the phone.
A couple holidays they saw me, but not too much. If I would have lived around them I'm sure she would have figured it out, and I never did it in their house, I had that rule, only in mine. I felt like that would be disrespecting her, I don't know I felt so guilty about it. It was easy with them living far away, I'm sure if she lived closer it would have been different or if I wouldn't have stopped.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah that's true.
I'm grateful that I do live at home, I guess it helps me to not to it as much.
I was living out of home start of last year and my drinking increased somewhat.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Just curious,
Did anyone here have an intervention?
If so, what was it like?
What is an intervention. I think I have worked it out but would like to know for sure. I don't wach TV, mostly because its rubbish.

Kevin
Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

What is a Family Intervention?

An intervention is a structured, solution-focused process that consists of a group of close friends, family members and others (co-workers, colleagues, spiritual advisors, etc.) who come together in a caring and non-judgmental manner to present their observations and concerns regarding an addict’s behavior.

A well-executed intervention is professionally facilitated and aims to move the family or workplace system out of crisis and assists in immediately addressing addiction.

AIR Model for Interventions
The AIR model of intervention is built on the concept of Carefrontation and incorporates primary aspects of the Family Systems and the Johnson Institute models of intervention. The Carefrontation model, pioneered by James Fearing, Ph.D., long known as America's Crisis Doctor, is an individualized process of changing relationships and family dynamics in order to stop the addiction cycle, move the system out of crises, and effectively address an individual’s addiction.

To more fully understand how addiction affects the system surrounding an addict, consider the mobile. Each component of a mobile is related to and dependent upon the others for balance and stability. The mobile functions correctly when you pull one component, and every other element moves in response. The mobile ceases to function when force is applied to one piece and no movement or change occurs.

When there is active addiction within a family or workplace system, the people around the individual operate much like a broken mobile. Energy is applied in an effort to change the one addicted individual - surprisingly to no avail. However, when the combined pieces of the mobile are set in motion, through the process of intervention, those surrounding the addict or alcoholic can move from their established positions and the stubborn piece will be forced to change his or her actions.

The AIR model of intervention has two stated goals: 1) To move the system surrounding the addicted individual out of the chaos and crisis generated by addiction; 2) To make help available to the individual. By focusing our attention on the system surrounding the individual, and working with them to make changes in their response to addiction, we change the system independent of his or her decision to accept help.

AIR responds quickly to calls for help. Family and workplace crises are treated as emergencies because the emotional pain and suffering of people close to the addicted individual can be extreme. The faster an intervention program begins, the faster that system will experience relief.

What is a Family Intervention? - Addiction Intervention Resources, Inc.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thanks Done