Notices

I am an Alcoholic

Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am an Alcoholic

My name is Sydney. I am 20 years old and I am an alcoholic.

I am going to keep this short because I have to do somethings.

I started drinking when I was 15 and havent stopped since. The longest I have gone without drinking is three months. I enjoyed being free of alcohol at that point of time and would like to be free of it again.

I do not like the person I am when I am drunk. No one else likes it either. I cant respect myself when I am drunk. No one else can as well.

I feel as though I dont know who I really am anymore since I have masked most of who I really am underneath alcohol. I want to get to know the real me again and I want others to know that person as well.

I am scared to death of quitting but I also know I can do it.

I know I will face special challenges as a young alcoholic, but I know it will be worth it.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see a new member...

Welcome to SR!

I too decided I detested the person
I was when drinking.
I certainly can relate to that!

I did quit and it was the wisest
move I ever did.

Keep posting...we do understand
Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Sydney! Glad you are here! I sure wish I could have recognized my problem drinking/beginning stages of full blown alcoholism at such a young age. I was a problem drinker at 18. I believe I was perhaps an alcoholic by age 23. I am 29 now. The past decade of my life--where did it go? Hang around & keep posting! You are not alone! We care about you!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you found us.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Sydney! I'm also a younger alcoholic in the early stages of recovery. I'm a week clean today. I feel so much better than I did before. I was a heavy drinker by the age of 18 and kept going up until a week ago. I'm now 24 and I feel so much better and I'm thinking clearer than I have in years. I wish you the best in your recovery, please feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it. Alcoholics need other recovering alcoholics.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Welcome Sydney!

You've done the right thing coming here, I started drinking when I was 13. I also don't like the person I am when I drink, and I think you'll find everyone here feels the same.

Please read all the posts you can, find people that you can relate to, and ask as many questions as you can.

Are you drinking every day? Have you experienced withdrawal symptoms? Quitting alcohol can be dangerous, and uncomfortable at the least. There's lots of advice here, but the main thing is - if you want to stop drinking, you are in the right place.

Read other people's stories and see if you can relate. I wish you all the best in getting over booze right now, I wish I could've stopped drinking before alcohol continously ruined my life for years and years.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
taking it one day at a time

Welcome Sydney! You've found a great place here with some awesome people....

Ask as many questions as you like as you'll get some good advice off people who are currently going through or been through a very similar situation as you.

I also don't like the person I am when I drink and as many have said, most people here feel the same.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I only wish I had realized at 20 what I do know. It took me until 38. I know how it feels to not only not like yourself, but to also have little respect for yourself. I can't believe some of the things I've done when I've been drunk out of my mind, and someone had to tell me the next day. You've come to a great place for support. It's amazing how quickly you can come to know yourself all over again. I've found that I love to read and spend a lot of time outdoors. Not a lot of energy yet though! Good luck to you!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Sydney! I wish someone would've hit me over the head with recovery when I was 20, but I plowed on through until I was 41. I credit AA with giving me a fresh start at a new life.

This could be the beginning of a whole new life for you. At the AA meetings I attend we have quite a few members in their late teens and early 20's, it's great to watch them bond together and form lasting friendships.

Glad you've decided to join us, and I hope you put together a good plan for your recovery.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sydney, and it's great that you've made this decision at such a young age. I hope you keep posting, as we have lots of support to offer.