Notices

Mild Panic Attack???

Old 01-07-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mild Panic Attack???

Just wondering if anyone had ever experienced this after they quit drinking. After a slip up over the holiday's, I'm back on the wagon and have been sober since the 1st. My question is this...during the day I feel just fine, no jitters, irritation, etc. At night (when I would normally be drinking) when I go to bed, I don't really feel stressed but when I lie down, my chest feels tight and I feel like I can't get enough air. When I sit up I feel better and when I concentrate on relaxing, the tightness goes away. Could this be a mild panic attack or is it more of a physiological response to withdrawl? I don't feel this way at any other time of the day including during exercise.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I had some panic attacks when I quit. But you should really ask a doctor about it just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

tawny,

While I can't offer much in the way of advice, I can tell you that you're not alone-- I wouldn't call it panic so much as anxiety...but because alcohol and marijuana were really what put me to sleep during the past few years, when I lay down to sleep I definately feel my body/brain cry out "Wait!! Our ritual!! We're not ready for bed yet! Nonononono!"

I assume this will pass before too long. I hope yours will as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
Yes I had some panic attacks when I quit. But you should really ask a doctor about it just to be on the safe side.
I could not have said it better myself.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds pretty similar to what happens to me, my doctor has said that mine is anxiety. Yours might be too but only a doctor will be able to tell you for sure, I would get a check up just to be on the safe side.

Sax
Old 01-08-2008, 02:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One thing I absolutely love about SR is that when someone puts up a thread concerning a medical condition 99% of us can agree it’s a condition that should be brought to a DR. I have panic attacks, my first real one I thought it was a heart attack so did the ER staff. Glad I went to the ER first instead of SR as time was of the essence...

Sorry to hear of your discomfort. In more ways than one I hope you get to the bottom of it.

All Good Things,
Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I'm on the wagon I suffer from anxiety too.
I was put on benzo's once for my anxiety but I became addited to them and begun to abuse them.
When I fell off the wagon (after 7 and half years) it was probally in part to do with my anxiety.
This time I'm sweating it out as best I can without medications or alcohol.
But as our friends said above, it's best you talk to your doc.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please ask your doctor if sleeping on a slant
would help.

Keep posting ...do let us know how this works out
Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, of course checking with your dr is the best idea.

But, it surely could be anxiety/panic attacks and that's a time of the day that I have mild panic attacks too. It varies from day to day, but it's turning out the lights, going to sleep time and it sometimes overcomes me. What I have learned to do, is to breathe really deeply. This sounds too simple, but it helps, because you will find, that during panic attacks your breathing becomes very shallow. Deep breaths help and believe that it will pass.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think I know what it is!!!! I have been taking Melatonin (3 mg) every night since I quit to help me sleep (a 'natural' friend recommended it). I didn't take it tonight and I don't have this feeling at all....other than that nothing is different!! Maybe I'm having some allergic reaction to the stuff? I'll try it again tomorrow and if there is no shortness of breath I'll post back. Maybe someone doing the same thing will read it...
Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I myself went through the chest tightness thing. It took about 5 days to go away. The same thing happened to me, that if I was upright it wouldn't be as bad. Definitely should ask your DR to be sure though. You can't ever be to safe when it comes to withdrawals.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had never experienced any anxiety until I quit drinking. They usually happenned at night because that was the time of the day I used to drink. My anxieties led to a prolonged bout of insomnia that I had never experienced in my life. But with time, some prescribed medication, AA meetings and some soul searching I got through the worst of times.

By the way, in addition to my withdrawls, I suffured from back and leg pain casused by a hearneated disc at the same time. I had to sleep(when ever I could achieve it) sitting up for a while because the pain would not allow me to sleep on a bed. I went through physical therapy and the pain subsided to the point were I could sleep on a bed again. The problem now (and I guess its all mental) sometimes I have problems initiating sleep laying down. I've gotten used to sleeping sitting upright on a recliner. I guess the bottom line is whatever works for you the body will adjust.

Good luck in your sobriety!