Notices

Now I can't blame the alcohol

Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now I can't blame the alcohol

This is funny but true. I've realized in the past weeks that I really am that clumsy, that forgetful, and that addlebrained. I used to think, oh that must've happened while I was drunk so I can't remember it or I'm stumbling around because I'm drunk. No.. just realized it's just me. Actually, I think I was much more careful to compensate for these shortcomings in myself when I was drinking so others couldn't say it was because of the alcohol. Nope, I'm really just a clumsy, loveable, mass of forgetfulness. It's ok. I'm ready to accept that about me. It's funny actually. All this time I've been trying to hide my imperfections but my biggest imperfection was the one killing me. I think I can handle the others. Somehow stumbling into a wall doesn't even compare to a diseased, rotting liver.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Join the club...the human race. It's all OK...really. I often used to stand in the middle of a room, and wonder what I went in there for. Finally decided it would come to me eventually...and, it did.

When you find yourself compensating for these human frailties, ask yourself, "How important is it?" Probably not much, in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

I'm almost twice as productive now as I was when I was drinking - that is no exaggeration, even though I'm only approaching 3 months clean and sober...

I still have my problems though, I've noticed that my confidence in a crowd of people has taken a knock as I'm still trying to adjust into how to act in public without a drink in me...

I also get episodes of PAWS, spontaneous anger , episodes of forgetfulness (mainly short term - I usually always eventually remember)...

I used to get bumps and knocks that I could not remember, and other stuff would happen to me when I was drunk that I couldn't remember doing and have to face the consequences in the morning...

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing to separate the new me from the drinking me, but that is what I've done; in a way I feel sorry for the drinking me (I guess I'm still kind of mourning my drinking days) he wasn't a bad guy, but he was dying and would have taken both of us down...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh, that's absolutely true Curli.

When I stopped drinking, I realized that some of the things I believed about myself, we just not true.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Curli - if you ever visit Disneyland in CA, give me a heads up, I've got to get you and my wife together. Your husband and I would probably die laughing.

My wife, bless her heart, is a walking calamity. We don't have a single set of matching dinner ware or glasses. Not a single day goes by that she can't find her cell phone or car keys. She is always running into something, I used to think she had a depth perception problem but she had lasic eye surgery, so that's been ruled out.

It's all good, it's just one of her traits that I find endearing.

Glad your still sober and doing so well - great job!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
I used to think she had a depth perception problem
It's all good, it's just one of her traits that I find endearing.
YAY!! You gave me an excuse!!! I am once again perfect!! My eyesight is terrible and my depth perception awful so there's my excuse!!

Actually, my DH thinks it's endearing too.

I tend to think my forgetfulness might come from taking care of 5 peoples' and 9 pets' lives in addition to a house, job, and everything else, that makes me a bit addlebrained.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doesn't use this site anymore

I read somewhere that suddenly stopping drinking/smoking
can cause a thing called "foggy brain". It really is a medical condition
and it happened to me after I quit smoking and drinking the last time.
It makes it harder for you to concentrate, comprehend and think properly.
It is the most unpleasant thing to experience and you literally feel like
you have air in your head. I spent nights crying over it cos I was stuffing up in my job all time due to the fact that I could never think clearly.
I don't know whether this applies to you but it could be one reason as to why you are being clumsy, forgetful etc.
It may not really be you.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Brittany. I'm sure in the beginning it did apply to me. Those first few days of sobriety had me unable to piece together sentences at times. It is better now.