stomach

Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stomach

Any advice for the sick stomach? Everytime the phone rings or someone comes to door, my stomach drops, waiting for the bad news. I lay awake at nite and first thing in the morning THINKING, I work full time but it never seems to leave me. The wondering, the what if's. So tired to being upset all the time. Any advice?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I'm so sorry you're feeling the icks as I call it.
For me it calmed down after being here in SR and reading eveyones stories and realizing that I was killing myself with worry. I think after seeing everyone on here having just about the same life I have made me feel like I wasn't alone in my misery and after that I was(am) able to take deep breaths and I say to myself, I can't do anything about this if I continue to just worry I will die of a heart attack. I think about the good things in my life when I have the icks, I will sometimes just remember a time when I was on vacation or a birthday party or sometimes and don't laugh I will think of how I am going to spend 60 million dollars when I hit the power ball. I know that last one sounds like I'm nuts but spending that much money takes a long time so my mind is elsewhere.
I hope I helped some.

hugs and prayers

ronnie
Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sjr

i don't think the 'what if's' have left me yet either. but i will tell you, you have to try and calm yourself down. i was sick alllll the time lost 25lbs, had panic attacks like crazy, and well, thought i was going crazy. i was at the point my doc was going to hospitalize me...what he did instead was give me a shot for the nausea...thank goodness...gave me something to help me sleep at night...and gave me some 'happy pills'., an anti-depressant....i know everyone doesn't advocate taking something to help them along, but i was so deep in my own depression over my daughter that i was no use to her or me...

i stil have bad days...especially when i don't know where she is...i come here alot...i read alot. m. beatie books are great.

there is no happy ending in my story. but i can say i can get through my days better now....the pit in my stomach, at least it got a little smaller.

good luck to you. please don't let addiction take you down.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Painter,

I remember that horrible feeling, just the nervousness of waiting for the next shoe to drop.

So I have some good news and some bad news. Good news is you can get better. Bad news is it does not happen overnight. Recovery, that is recovery for yourself, is slow, but so worth it.

If you've read around here a little bit, maybe you've read the quote, "Nothing changes if nothing changes." Or "You'll do something when the pain of staying the same gets greater than the pain of changing."

So I was there, Painter. I could no longer live like I was living because I was so terribly miserable. I was sick to my stomach and sick in every other way, too.

I was advised to go to Al Anon meetings. I resisted. I was told again. I resisted again. I was told again. I finally caved, dropped my pride and went. It was the best decision I've ever made for me. I immediately found a group of people who understood and could help guide me. They didn't tell me what to do but they shared their experience, strength and hope. So I attended meeting after meeting after meeting and I started to feel better. I started applying the principles of the 12 step program and I began to take charge of my life. I became stronger .... emotionally, mentally and physically.

I also read on this board alot. There are some folks here who are so instrumental in my recovery and I know my HP brought me to this place to help add to my recovery. I would attend my meetings and then post on here. I'd listen, watch people who were making it and try some of what they said. And slowly but surely I started to heal in all areas of my life.

Today I'm 5 years into recovery and I am so grateful for my meetings and this board. I no longer have the sick feeling in my stomach. I do have to work my recovery everyday, but it's gotten easier and easier.

I'm sorry I couldn't tell you to take two aspirin and call me in the a.m. But I assure you that if you will seriously work the 12 step program, your life will improve, sick stomach and all.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have gotten so mad that at meetings i would say, "sometimes i just wish he was gone so i didn't have to worry like this anymore." but i said swear words too.
I worry about everyting already and those moments at night are simply the worst.
I feel that sick right now. I feel like I could just live off my tears and my saddness...but i KNOW that that is not the way. It cannot be like that.
Why do we have to endure this?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((((((((painter))))))))) i know the worry & i know the stress you are going thru. that is what is causeing your stomach problems. i was the same way,worry all day, all nite & it did not do me any good. it did not solve anything. my son was still an addict & he still is. the difference is i changed my way of thinking. i worked my program. i work hard at it & i pray hard. i turn my a.s. over to my H.P. knowing there is nothing i can do for him. i will say a prayer for you & hope u get some peace soon.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like to use prayer, and also use prayers as mantras or affirmations. Try some of these that I have used:

God , I affirm that you are are loving, caring, and greater than me.

God, I affirm that you are loving, caring, and greater than the disease of addiction.

God, I know you have "the big picture" and I don't.

Please protect [addict] from death, or severe irreversible harm today; otherwise let [addict] have their consequences according to your will.

Please take my will and my life today, guide me in my recovery, show me how to live.

Please help me surrender today, and to believe that you know what you are doing.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

to all who replied

To All,
Thank you, thank you. It is so wonderful to TALK to someone who understands. You know you can't talk to everyone and even if you talk those who haven't experienced, don't understand. Everyone keeps asking what is wrong, so it shows but I choose not to share, just so I will not have to hear, one more time, oh she will come out of it. She will see the light. From their lips to God's ears. I got to see grandbabies, tonite. So I know that they are O.K. My daughter looks like death, so thin. We didn't talk much. She gets so defenceive. I ask no questions, therefore I get no lies.
I AM going to check on those meetings. I need to seek more help, for myself. Thanks all of you for taking the time to respond to me.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Painter,
I had it too, in fact, sometimes, I still get it, and have a real hard time falling asleep. It's alot better now that I don't have to worry about getting up to go to work anymore.

But, like I said, I still have bouts of fretting, I think I'm just a nervous Nellie.
I did talk with my family Dr. and he gave me something to take on occasion.

Meetings help alot, and so does S.R.

If something is bothering you at night, get online, and come here, maybe it's a fear, or fret that can be talked though?

Hugs, and sweet dreams...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember those nights. Still have them from time to time. I pray, get up and walk around or read, and pray some more. Some times it is only the Lords Prayer, but I believe He knows my heart and understands!
:praying
susan
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello -- I have suffered those nights as well. Even to have a phone message waiting would make me sick to my stomach -- this was in the day too! Something I did at night which helped me greatly was to make a CD of meditation music, nature sounds, etc.
I would unplug the phone, play my CD's, fall asleep and just felt stronger and better able to cope. (Meetings and reading help -- but the music gives you that much needed sleep without the worry creeping in) Best Wishes..