Notices

Question about withdrawal symptoms

Old 01-06-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about withdrawal symptoms

I've been reading about the variety of withdrawal symptoms some people here have been experiencing or have experienced in the past. I am approaching two weeks w/out alcohol, but I haven't had any symptoms of withdrawal yet other than occasional intense cravings, which I think are mostly mental -- not physical. Am I just lucky, or is it possible that I might start to experience things later?

Why do some people seem to experience serious withdrawal issues while some do not? Does it have to do with frequency of drinking, genetic predisposition or the stage of alcoholism -- (early, middle, late)? Or is it just a random thing...some people have symptoms, some don't?

My heart goes out to those of you who are having physical symptoms now...some of them sound very unpleasant! Best wishes to all of you...
Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn’t study genetics and I didn’t go to med school. Sounds like a question for a Dr. Any time I went into detox it only lasted a week at best, after the week I was sent into treatment. From there I was nuts until I got a sponsor and worked the steps. Today I'm not much better but when I have issues like the one you described I call a DR, or visit the ER.

Best of luck and thanks for the post......

All God Things,
Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How much did you drink? How often? For how many years?

At 2 weeks you are through with acute withdrawals, but you still may have PAWS.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Why do some people seem to experience serious withdrawal issues while some do not? Does it have to do with frequency of drinking, genetic predisposition or the stage of alcoholism -- (early, middle, late)? Or is it just a random thing...some people have symptoms, some don't?
All of the above! By the fifth day, the alcohol should be out of the system (according to the length of time for most detox programs)...so, after the physical compulsion is no longer an issue, the mental obsession must be dealt with. If you haven't experienced any physical discomfort, without benefit of medical detox, consider yourself very fortunate. AA meetings will help you deal with the mental and spiritual aspects of the disease.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Good for you, but best to visit a Doc anyway and get checked out and Congrats