Notices

Alconarcoholic

Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alconarcoholic

I am new to the sober recovery thing and I thought I could use some support so I did a search and found this site. I've read a little and it seems like a great place. I am a binge alcoholic who's been hooked on pain killers for a couple of months. I've been drinking really heavily since I was about 18. The pain killers I took a few a year until a few months ago when my grandfather got sick. He wouldn't take them so I would, not to any of his knowledge of course. I last drank on New Years and my last pain killer was on Thursday. I lost my grand father on Christmas Eve and since then I've been thinking how screwed up this is making my life, and I want to do something about it. I'm really scared so I was hoping to talk to someone who's been through my situation. I also feel sick and I don't know if its the withdrawals or I am actually getting sick. Feels like a cold, has anyone been known to get sick like that from withdrawals? I hope to talk to some of you soon!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, people can get very sick from withdrawls and withdrawl from alcohol can be dangerous, so you should talk to your dr.

You're making a great decision to get sober and begin recovery.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Hey bud, welcome to Sr! Sounds like you've had a rough couple of weeks, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

You're in the right place, this forum is full of folks who know what you're going through. Obviously you've done some reading, but continue to look at the posts here and around the traps - we're all in the same boat.

Im going to assume you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms - I have gone through heroin/opiate withdrawal and alcohol withdrawal, and the opiates/painkillers feel like your legs are shaking/spasming, cold sweats all over, problems regulating body temp. etc... along with stomach problems, digestive problems etc. Alcohol withdrawal for me was sweats, cramps, mild nausea and trouble sleeping for about 4-5 days.

If you experience serious symptoms, go see a doctor and tell them exactly what you are doing, exactly how much of everything you've been taking, and see what they say.

Good luck mate, it will get better, I promise. You are doing the right thing.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys. Funny thing is I did go to the Dr. because I was afraid I was getting sick but he said I was fine. I didn't tell him about the drugs though. I was worried about getting into trouble. I know thats probably the last thing I should worry about now? From what I've been gathering is that the doctors are more inclined to help you then turn you in right? I've had the trouble regulating my body temperature and some cold sweats and just feeling badly. Funny thing is I feel like I'm thinking more clearly than I have in years.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wooooo!!!!!! It's been 1 week since I last took a pain killer and 9 days since I last took a drink. I feel so much better about myself, I've fought off a few cravings. I'm having mild pain in my legs from time to time but it has been tolerable for the most part. I can't believe I'm actually doing this. This is great! Thank you guys for your support!

Bud
Old 01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work, Bud! You are doing really well. 7 & 9 days is HUGE!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

hey welcome to SR! you are definitely not alone. many of us can indentify with what your going through. there is a solution to our problems! ive kicked painkillers and alcohol before so i know what your going through. i would advise you do not detox on your own. try to find a facility in your area. anyways stick around!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Going well bud, glad to see you're still here...

the leg thing... that's why they call it 'kicking' the habit - I'm serious!

Man I remember one night, I went around to visit my sister and her bf at one of their friends' places, I was in bad shape and hadn't had any smack for a couple of days. I had managed to find some speed about 12 hours previous and inject that though, so by the time I got there I was coming down, withdrawing, and all kinds of messed up.

They packed me a few bongs, and I passed out in a kind of half sleep... my legs started thrashing, and one of the dudes said to my sister "he's going through withdrawals"...

I'll never forget what that felt like, not awake, not asleep, in hell, ashamed, on a stranger's couch. That was 8 and a half years ago from what I can piece together, and let me tell you - I know you're talking booze and pills, and what I'm talking about might seem like another realm of drug abuse altogether, but when you get off the crap it's the same thing in the end, whether you get it from a doctor or a dealer.

Hmmm... don't know where that came from, guess I just wanted to share a memory that sprung out of nowhere, I've been heroin free for 8 years now and alcohol free for 26 days... woohoo!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts everyone! Nodrinkingzone thats hilarious about "kicking the habit!" I know what you mean about the different realms of drugs. Hell, from what I gathered and what I've been through it seems that most of it is psychological past the point of detox. Despite the drugs we did we are all in the same place going through hell...together at least.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. Withdrawl comes from conditioning your body to expect something (just like sweets) and then not providing what your cells expect to get. Your body will tell you that you need to feed it what it is used to getting. Don't worry, physically it is over in about 3 days. Keep showing up and stay sober and it will get better.

Stick around.